Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to ask, very politely, that people sign their posts. I am 74 and was taught to sign my letters! I can't figure out why people don't do this. Just a first name if you want to remain 'hidden'. Please let me know why people don't sign their posts! Sue

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
I have always assumed it is because forum chat is a written conversation, rather than an online letter.
Plus your user name is always displayed, so everyone knows who is 'speaking'.
I would always sign an email, in fact I always set them out as letters and use correct spelling and grammar. (Definitely no 'text speak'. I am only 41 but I get totally lost when people start using that!)
It would never occur to me to sign a forum post though....
Stella :)

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Since my name is stated in the upper right hand corner of every one of my posts, I don't really see it necessary to sign my name. A lot of people also just go by their usernames instead of their true first names.

Also, like Stella said, forum chatting is more so a written conversation than it is a letter. You can respond back and forth almost immediately to people as you would over a chat service like MSN or Skype. To me, signing my name after every forum post would be like saying my name at the end of each sentence I said while speaking to someone in person. :p

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
if you are talking about creating a forum username like yours(susan davis), I personally would never create a forum name from my *real* full name(nor would I ever put my doggies names in the forum Username).....although mine here does have my first name (jan896)...... most everywhere on the 'Net I am known as 'Mystical Lady'.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Sue, I agree with the ladies.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Ah we oldies are just sticklers for the beautiful manners we were taught that are long gone these days with the young 'uns, BUT with that much techno-savvy crime about these days Susan, it pays to keep a low profile on the www.

Most of us have put our names up in the right hand side with where we live etc.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I have to agree with everyone else. There is just to much identity theft, I'm not saying anyone here would do it, but people who "lurk", maybe. I don't even throw anything away with my name or address in it. That goes in the burn pile!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
As long as the moderator has our real information (so as to avoid the standard Internet creepy behavior), I don't care if people use their real or online names. I think it's fun to have an Internet identity, as long as it's not abused. For me, there is also something very heartwarming about posting under Finn's identification.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.