Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reeses has gotten in the habit of pooping in her crate and I don't know what to do! At first it was only occasionally- so I figured I better get up every couple of hours at night and take her to the potty. Now its every night. And its disgusting. Its not 100% solid poop either! Then she ends up having poop all over her.

I know in the books they say the crate if the crate is too big then they will use the bathroom in it. But I wouldn't know how to section a crate like hers off because it's pretty small.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
If you can't section it off, I would suggest buying a smaller one for her to use. They can be really cheap like $10.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I would just buy a new one...I got a tiny one at Petsmart for 15 dollars....

It could be she smells the urine and poop in there...if you don't want to buy a new one, then buy some of the sprays they sell out there to take out urine/feces smell and clean the heck out of the crate...let it dry completely before letting her in again...see how that goes...? :wink:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually have a smaller one...its one of those ferret carriers that looks like a crate, but she won't go in it- and when she does she cries and cries. I thought it was too small so I got her a new one (the bigger one) and she happily goes in that one.

I dont know why I didn't think to use that anti urine stuff when I cleaned her crate....DUH!!! I will try that.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
some dog's will pee and or poo in their crate no matter what size it is. if she is getting it on her anyway, i doubt a smaller one is going to help the problem. working at the kennel proved that to me lol. some dog's just don't care if they lay or trample around in their poop. maybe if you section off a room like the kitchen for her, if the smaller crate doesn't work?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Is your doggie not toilet trained yet then i take it? Buy her a proper doggie bed, dogs dont like to poop in their beds so if it isnt a locked crate then she will be able to go out the bed and to the pee or the poop on a puppy pad then gradually move it towards the door outside and also take her out regularly praise her like a godess when she does the toilet outside! She will soon learn that thats what you want her to do!

Lots of love Gilli & Coco

1 - 6 of 6 Posts