Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a curious question, what natural things do you give your chi's to chew on? Do you give knuckles, femurs, hoofs, ears, snouts, bully sticks etc? If so what do your chi's like and can they handle the larger things like the knuckles?

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I gave Mylo some pigs ears for the first time the other day and he absolutely loved them! The stink but he was chewing non stop on it for ages! I've just ordered some bully sticks and other goodies from zooplus so we'll see what he thinks of them.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I give bully sticks, antlers and while it is more of a meal than a chew toy (raw is so often conveniently both) I give whole uncleaned goat legs. I take those away once all the meat is gone. Depending on how your dog chews big knuckle bones can cause broken teeth in dogs of any size. My chi is a dainty chewer so I giver her marrow bones to lick the marrow out of but I take those away once they are cleaned too. My other dog is too intense of a chewer to get any non-edible bones. Luckily for him goat bones are all edible.

To your other question- my chi likes the biggest antler in the house and I only buy 12 inch bully sticks so she gets them that size pretty often. She can handle them no problem. If I only had her though I would probably buy 6 inch ones.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
We do bully sticks, Himalayan chews, deer antlers, duck feet, rabbit ears, and rabbit feet. The rabbit ears are an absolute favorite!!
I don't think I could give him the ears of something cute! :( saying that I did have to cut up lamb's heart and liver to give him before, urgh! I hope that puppy appreciates what I do for him! Probably not though since he decided to bring a piece onto the couch and drop it on my bare foot! :confused3:

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts
I don't think I could give him the ears of something cute! :( saying that I did have to cut up lamb's heart and liver to give him before, urgh! I hope that puppy appreciates what I do for him! Probably not though since he decided to bring a piece onto the couch and drop it on my bare foot! :confused3:
Hahahaha! That's kinda funny!! I know the rabbit ears sound gross bc yes, they are furry! But Lola looses her marbles for them! And she's really picky, so I'm a sucker for making her happy. ;)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will have to look for the Himalayan chews. I have never heard of them. The duck feet and rabbit ears sound like they would be a good way to go too. He loves bully sticks, but hates antlers. I paid $$$ for one of those suckers and he won't even lick it.

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts
I will have to look for the Himalayan chews. I have never heard of them. The duck feet and rabbit ears sound like they would be a good way to go too. He loves bully sticks, but hates antlers. I paid $$$ for one of those suckers and he won't even lick it.
Steph, I lied. It's deer shanks from ziwipeak, not antlers. Mine would touch that either. The rabbit treats are the most favorite in my house ! And I forgot the add cut up beef trachea rings too, those are really cheap by me, smaller in size so it's perfect for chi's! Maybe you can try those???

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Jaxx gets mainly Antlers as a natural chew. I have been meaning to try things like bully sticks but havent yet.

If he doesn't like antlers have you tried letting it sit in dog food overnight? I have heard you can use beef broth too but the food works for Jaxx. He loves his antler after it is sealed up in his food for a day.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Hahahaha! That's kinda funny!! I know the rabbit ears sound gross bc yes, they are furry! But Lola looses her marbles for them! And she's really picky, so I'm a sucker for making her happy. ;)
I don't know what Himalayan chews are either.

Oh dear...I didn't realise they were furry too! :( I know the feeling... I do a lot of stuff for Mylo I wouldn't do for myself. Like handling disgusting meat! Do they chew on the fur or get the skin off or what? Do you just get them from your normal butchers?

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Kerrigan could care less about the hymalayan chews but LOVES antlers- funny how different dogs are- just like us people. Are duck feet like chicken feet? I get chicken feet for really cheap at the butcher and my dogs love them raw too- they are a fair bit of work for a little chi and with all the joints they are naturally high in glucosamine. The butcher told me they make good stock too- so I tried it and they are great for home made chicken broth.

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts
I don't know what Himalayan chews are either.

Oh dear...I didn't realise they were furry too! :( I know the feeling... I do a lot of stuff for Mylo I wouldn't do for myself. Like handling disgusting meat! Do they chew on the fur or get the skin off or what? Do you just get them from your normal butchers?
Heck no!! They're Kirk dehydrated or something? I get them at wooflife, my local organic doggie store. They come prepackaged as treats by a company called aunt jeni. I think bestbullystix.com sells them too along w the rabbit feet and duck feet. The rabbit feet look just like the ones you find as a keychain. They've got fur, bones, nails, ect. They eat the fur too! And their poops come out sand color after one of those, lol.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Steph, I lied. It's deer shanks from ziwipeak, not antlers. Mine would touch that either. The rabbit treats are the most favorite in my house ! And I forgot the add cut up beef trachea rings too, those are really cheap by me, smaller in size so it's perfect for chi's! Maybe you can try those???
Hmm, I will probably not find the ziwipeak shanks, but I will look for the trachea rings and rabbit ears. He will probably love those.

Jaxx gets mainly Antlers as a natural chew. I have been meaning to try things like bully sticks but havent yet.

If he doesn't like antlers have you tried letting it sit in dog food overnight? I have heard you can use beef broth too but the food works for Jaxx. He loves his antler after it is sealed up in his food for a day.

I will try the broth trick and see if that helps. I can't sit it in food since we do raw, but if the broth works you will be my hero for not having wasted my $.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Heck no!! They're Kirk dehydrated or something? I get them at wooflife, my local organic doggie store. They come prepackaged as treats by a company called aunt jeni. I think bestbullystix.com sells them too along w the rabbit feet and duck feet. The rabbit feet look just like the ones you find as a keychain. They've got fur, bones, nails, ect. They eat the fur too! And their poops come out sand color after one of those, lol.
Is that the wooflife in Indiana? or is there one in Chicago that I don't know about?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went to the one in Crown Point a few weeks ago while visiting the in-laws and loved the store. It was so nice and they didn't have the attitude that many here have. I have been to a bunch here just to get out and do something and some are very nice and helpful/welcoming, others are just a bit uppity to me.

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts
I went to the one in Crown Point a few weeks ago while visiting the in-laws and loved the store. It was so nice and they didn't have the attitude that many here have. I have been to a bunch here just to get out and do something and some are very nice and helpful/welcoming, others are just a bit uppity to me.
We have two in crown point, wooflife and canine affinity. Wooflife is my absolute favorite, the owner Leslie is a doll!! There is also a good one in oak brook called wetnose that we go to sometimes. And my favorite one in Chicago is tails in the city, we will be there tomorrow! Bryan and I are house sitting for a friend in Lincoln park tonight. ;)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts