Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using natural remedies such as herbs, essential oils etc. and homoeopathy on myself for many years, and also have a homoeopathic vet who's treated our cats for a number of things. But I've never tried any of the things that I've read about such as essential oils (lavender?) to repel fleas naturally.

I'm sure I've read on here that some of you do use them instead of chemicals such as Advantage etc. and I'd really like to try doing so for Harry. I hate that he has to have chemicals ON him for fleas, and chemicals IN him for worms, so often. I refuse to take chemicals myself (unless my doc insisted it would save my life!) so why would I do that to my little Chihuahua?

Any suggestions/help in this direction would be much appreciated :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
I found that Neem Oil mixed into your pets shampoo will help, also you can do Skin SO SOft from Avon put some in your hands and rub it all over him...good luck

·
Registered
323 Posts
For a flea shampoo mix 2 tablespoons of Neem into 17 ounce bottle of shampoo of your choice.
For a yard spray mix the Neem with water and a mild dish soap like Dove.
I tried the Neem/water mix with the same results. I just kept shaking the bottle as I sprayed.

Neem Insect Spray: Making And Using Neem Garden Spray

Sorry I keep posting I just am looking for info on this Neem Oil since i use and I want to share with others...

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Cider vinegar in their water helps. I'd love a holistic vet!!!! I don't flea mine unless I see a flea and worm 3 times a year I heard lavender oil sprayed on their coat works am yet to try it tho

·
Registered
912 Posts
We use a combination of things.
We use an essential oil spray very regularly. It is called Herbal Defense Spray by Only Natural Pet. Both my dogs and my husband/I use this.
We also use Apple Cider Vinegar a lot (rinsing hair, cleaning things...) so that helps.
Also we sprinkle Diatomaceous Earth around the grounds we hang out (and rub some on us) if we're going to be outside for an extended period of time. This stuff is awesome. :)
Good luck! I agree that using natural remedies are the best first option, but in order for it to work and keep working, you have to stay on top of it as these things only REPEL fleas, not so much with getting rid of them if you already have them... (the Diatomaceous Earth does help with getting rid of fleas though.)

Also, if you have cats, you may want to consider looking into what essential oils are harmful to them. I don't remember specifically, but I know there are some..!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Actually the natural pet store we get our food at suggests & recommends (and uses on their dogs) Earth Animal. It's a brewers yeast mix (I believe?) that is added to their food daily that is supposed to basically make them stink to fleas & ticks...but not to us. :) I'd love to use it but for six of my pups it figured to be too much. So we just comb/wash bedding regularly & if we see any fleas we give a flea bath & use frontline. Usually they end up with 2 doses a year which is much better than monthly IMO.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For a flea shampoo mix 2 tablespoons of Neem into 17 ounce bottle of shampoo of your choice.
For a yard spray mix the Neem with water and a mild dish soap like Dove.
I tried the Neem/water mix with the same results. I just kept shaking the bottle as I sprayed.

Neem Insect Spray: Making And Using Neem Garden Spray

Sorry I keep posting I just am looking for info on this Neem Oil since i use and I want to share with others...
Thanks Jessica, I hadn't heard of Neem oil before, I will look into trying some.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cider vinegar in their water helps. I'd love a holistic vet!!!! I don't flea mine unless I see a flea and worm 3 times a year I heard lavender oil sprayed on their coat works am yet to try it tho
I don't intend to de-flea and worm unecessarily, but I needed to de-flea Harry a couple of weeks ago 'cos I found not one, but TWO fleas wandering around on his tummy! Took me back to when I was a teenager with a Saturday job in a dog grooming parlour... I had to bathe dogs and occasionally there'd be one who would be absolutely crawling with dozens of them.... yeuk! My Mum used to make me take off my clothes in the porch when I got home, in case I had fleas on my clothes, LOL!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We use a combination of things.
We use an essential oil spray very regularly. It is called Herbal Defense Spray by Only Natural Pet. Both my dogs and my husband/I use this.
We also use Apple Cider Vinegar a lot (rinsing hair, cleaning things...) so that helps.
Also we sprinkle Diatomaceous Earth around the grounds we hang out (and rub some on us) if we're going to be outside for an extended period of time. This stuff is awesome. :)
Good luck! I agree that using natural remedies are the best first option, but in order for it to work and keep working, you have to stay on top of it as these things only REPEL fleas, not so much with getting rid of them if you already have them... (the Diatomaceous Earth does help with getting rid of fleas though.)

Also, if you have cats, you may want to consider looking into what essential oils are harmful to them. I don't remember specifically, but I know there are some..!
Thank you for that information, I hadn't heard of Diatomaceous Earth before. From what I've been reading, it sounds interesting. And yes, I will have to remind myself what essential oils are okay for dogs and cats too!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually the natural pet store we get our food at suggests & recommends (and uses on their dogs) Earth Animal. It's a brewers yeast mix (I believe?) that is added to their food daily that is supposed to basically make them stink to fleas & ticks...but not to us. :) I'd love to use it but for six of my pups it figured to be too much. So we just comb/wash bedding regularly & if we see any fleas we give a flea bath & use frontline. Usually they end up with 2 doses a year which is much better than monthly IMO.
That's interesting about the brewer's yeast mix, Heather. I've always sworn by it myself to avoid getting bitten by mosquitoes :) I have used Frontline on my cats before, but I think dogs have to be 2kg to use it, and Harry's still only 1.4kg at the moment. It's one of the reasons I thought now might be a good time to switch to natural pesticides or repellents.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have used apple cider vinegar in the water for years also heard garlic powder mixed in food helps(didn't try the grarlic)
I've heard of the apple cider vinegar treatment, but not the garlic powder. I'm not sure how I'd feel about my doggy having garlic breath, LOL!

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I use apple cider vinegar in my dogs' food a few times a week. I also use cedarwood essential oil on their collars and use lavendar oil around the house. All of them repel fleas and do so safely and naturally. Essential oils are toxic to cats so I don't recommend them for homes with cats. Garlic and brewers yeast are supposed to work as well but I don't use them on my dogs.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am definitely going to start looking into some of these things!!!

I, too, have only ever used something as treatment, not as prevention. Halle has therefore only been dosed twice in her life, which I do agree is better than monthly. However, I would like to point out that I would rather use Advantage than Frontline, for those who do want or need to go the chemical route.
For one, Frontline contains many more chemicals than does Advantage, as it is also used as a tick prevention, etc. And secondly, Advantage has a special dose for dogs under 10 pounds while Frontline's smallest dose goes all the way up to 22 pounds.
:)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Boy am I ever thankful we don't have fleas here....well very RARE ocassions when someone has traveled outside of Utah and brought them back. I wouldn't even begin to know what to tell you about fleas.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts