Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone feed the nature's variety instinct? I actually bought it to try for my cat, but he won't go near it. The dogs smelled it and went nuts! So I am considering switching them both to this. I have zero experience with feeding raw so any advice/input would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Yes, we had Brody on NV for awhile. Is it the frozen or the freeze dried? As far as pre-mades go, I'd say it's middle quality. I like Stella and Chewy's best, mainly because of their quality control (every batch is tested for pathogens which just gives it that extra measure of safety necessary in raw foods). I also like Primal and Bravo. But NV is pretty easy to find and it's a good way to slowly 'bridge' into feeding whole raw.

If you are going to feed it exclusively, just jump right in. If you are still going to feed kibble, then feed the NV separately from the dry food.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the frozen little medallions. I have just been giving them each one medallion twice a day and then they get their dry kibble after. They like it so much they just about swallow the madallions whole. Is this ok or should I break them apart before feeding it to them? Is it ok to feed it along with the dry for now since I haven't decided if I am going to definitely switch them over to it completely?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
If you are feeding it with the dry and they aren't having any digestive problems, then it's fine. Some people suggest feeding the raw patties away from kibble on the theory that they digest at different rates. However, I do know of people who feed raw and kibble together and have no problems at all. If your dogs are handling it fine, then it's OK.

I always mashed the medallions on a plate with a fork, but if they wolf it down - that's fine.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They aren't having any digestive problems at all. I am fortunate that they both seem to be able to eat about anything with no problems.(like when they steal french fries or my son gives them some greasy handout) I don't think I have ever seen a soft stool from either of them!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts