Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a bit of advice. I have 5 chis of various ages, the youngest being 7 months. I've, luckily, never had an issue with damage to the home but the baby is very mischievous and finds fun in destroying things...!

Recently his new game is scratch holes into walls and pull the paint off the beading around the skirting board.

He's very independent and doesn't suffer separation anxiety. In fact he is the only one who really couldn't care if we leave the room/house or not. He gets a lot of stimulation from us, toys (on rotation and new ones all the time), the other dogs and walks.

I really don't know what to do. We leave them in the kitchen, which is a very large room and the one room with the least to damage. We've always done this. They are never alone very long at all but he always does it when we are out.

I've started looking at dog crates (the crufts freedom pen) but that is just going to prevent the problem not irradiate it.

Anyone have any useful ideas? We never catch him at it so we can't correct.

(The pup in question is Dexter, the black and tan in my siggy) x

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I would crate him while you're away. He may need a little more exercise & play time. The crating shouldn't last too long as I think he'll grow out of the "mischievous" puppy stage. Make sure you let him know when he does something wrong that it's not o.k. by using the tone in your voice. He's really cute.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would crate him while you're away. He may need a little more exercise & play time. The crating shouldn't last too long as I think he'll grow out of the "mischievous" puppy stage. Make sure you let him know when he does something wrong that it's not o.k. by using the tone in your voice. He's really cute.
Thank you <3
It's such a shame as we've never had to deal with this problem. I've got a smaller crate but I'm going to get a more substantial one.

Could he still be in his teething stage? He's very bitey and chewy even though he's lost teeth and had some pulled...!

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Could be the teething. Could you get some bitter apple spray? Maybe he'd not like that, and get the message about chewing the walls! I assume he has plenty of chew toys?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I don't have a Chi right now but my dogs love their crates. Maybe he has some nervousness and the crate could give him some comfort. (Once he gets used to it) All of my dogs nap in their crates with the door open, it's their "bedroom" I guess. It's cute. The doors are shut when we leave but they have access to them all other times. They'll take in toys to chew in their own space, as well.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Jaxx loves his crate too. We tried leaving him out at night but he would wake us up in the middle of the night because he wanted his crate door shut. He goes in it during the day too to play and anytime he is scared he runs to his crate. We were moving around the living room the other night and he was not having any of it and ran to his crate until we were done.
I used to have a totally different opinion on crating. I always thought it was cruel and dogs didn't like it until Jaxx. We couldn't have a baby gate to put him in one place and I didn't want to leave him in the bathroom so we got a crate. In the end he loves it. It just has to be introduced right so that the dog finds it a comfy place and it should never be used for punishment.
I figure we will try letting Jaxx sleep out of his crate again but for now that is where he is happy so that is what matters.
Crates can be a very valuable tool.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Rolo loves his crate. I got it because I have 2 grandsons, both 14 months old, I didn't know how Rolo would be with them when I got him. It turns out its more for Rolo's protection! He has his squishy bed in there and his food and water and a few toys. He loves it. He goes in at night and when we are out. He is a bit if a chewer, I keep finding things with miniature teeth marks in them! He was so teeny tiny when I got him I didn't want him roaming about while we were out just incase he got stuck somewhere. My cousin got a kitten and when she got back from work it had chewed through speaker wires and electrocuted its self. This has always stayed with me. I'm sure once he's finished teething he won't be so bad and he's still at the mischievous puppy stage. My vet says a lot of chihuahuas are late losing their baby teeth, they like to hang on to them!

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

1 - 8 of 8 Posts