Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well it is almost time for Ozzys and lilys yearly vaccines to be due. when we got lily 6 months ago the previous owners said she had had her first shots but when I pushed them for an innoculation card to show my vet they said they didnt have one - so my vet said to get their vet to fax over a copy of the innocualtions to my vet but then I never heard from them again allthough i tried ringing and emailing - my question is should I just get her yearly ones done or should I get the course re done :?:

thanks in advance guys :wave:

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
I think yearly! Why on earth would they not cooperate with you! Do you know the vets name by any chance?? Seems like they have something to hide doesnt it? :?:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think there was a study done that showed that any vaccination after 6 mos stayed with the dog their entire life and that yearling vaccinations are not actually needed and can be detrimental.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I would just do the yearly ones if you do not have the date of the last vaccination. It will be easier for you to keep track-both at the same time.
I have read about the new study that the dogs do not need to be re-vaccinated, but I am a bit skeptical yet about that. I do not want to see my chi die of something that I could have vaccinated against. I will wait until more study is done in that area.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
If the breeders vet faxed the information to your vet then they should know what she needs and be able to advise you what to do.

If they didn't get any fax, I still think the vet would be the best judge of what kind of shots to give her.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I agree I would leave that to the vet. I dont know if there are any complecations to double-vaccinating them if in fact she did get her puppy shots.

Tough one to call. Let us know what your vet says.

·
Registered
52 Posts
quikdog, I hear what your saying about being worried about your dog contracting something.

I do wonder why is it that dogs and cats get vaccinations yearly, but not people? We get most of our shots as kids (multiple shots) and then we're good for life or at least a very long time in the case of tetnus. We're exposed to a lot more pathogens than dogs!

I know in totally indoor cats, they recommend vaccinations every three years instead of yearly now.

So much to learn!

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Katt said:
quikdog, I hear what your saying about being worried about your dog contracting something.

I do wonder why is it that dogs and cats get vaccinations yearly, but not people? We get most of our shots as kids (multiple shots) and then we're good for life or at least a very long time in the case of tetnus. We're exposed to a lot more pathogens than dogs!

I know in totally indoor cats, they recommend vaccinations every three years instead of yearly now.

So much to learn!
Im with you on the vac I posted this earlier http://chihuahua-people.com/viewtopic.php?t=2520 it is three years now with dogs.
For Ozzys Mom though since she did not know what happened - that is why I said to get the yearly shot!

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the advice - I will just wait and see what the vet says - I definately think the breeder is hiding something as they did not get back to me :wave:

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Thats really crummy that they didn't let you know. You don't want to not vacinate but you don't want to over vaccinate either. What a dilema. About all you can do is rely on your vet. Good luck :roll:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts