Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, I know this topic has certainly been addressed before.

We get our new puppy in two weeks, and this time around I am going to treat myself (and him I suppose) to an expen. Can anyone recommend a nice sturdy one, ideally around $50-60 or less as we will really only need it for a few months. If its not hideous that would be even better!

Thank you

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I have a couple. LOL The metal ones that you can get at places like Petsmart etc. are great if you don't have a climber. (see this link Dog Exercise Pens & Fence: Precision Pet Ultimate Exercise Pens at PETCO ) But some chis are and I've seen a 13 week pup scale those walls no problem at all. Then they can fall and get hurt etc. Mostly, it's just annoying for the owner to find the puppy all over the house. My three aren't climbers though so it works for them. However, with my new puppy, I didn't trust the dogs all together at night and so I got this one
Google Image Result for http://www.petstorebyconny.com/members/785824/uploaded/Dog_Play_Pen_Pink_Ice.jpg
and I love it so much. I can put a litter box (grass pad), food, bed and toys in there and Peach is as happy as a clam. She is safe, can't climb out and what I love about it is that it is elevated from the ground. So, you don't have to worry about training accidents on carpet etc. One thing I hated about it though is that the pad (floor cover) is a somewhat pourous nylon and it truly is a modified baby playpen. I didn't want urine soaking through it as there is no way to wash that part because the bottom is hard and then it's a pad with the covering. So, I just got a roll of carpet protector plastic and put it on the bottom over the pad. Problem solved. It was great for travel as nobody minds if you bring your puppy to stay with them if nothing they have can get ruined at night etc. I love this pen. :)
Tricia

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
I have the same one kristi has. I LOVE it . It's so easy to put together and take apart. It's just long plastic "pins" for lack of a better word you stick in the hinged areas on the 4 plastic panels. IMO it's cuter than the metal ones and can't be tipped over. Also won't rust since it's heavy duty plastic.
Right now it's cheaper at amazon and free shipping to boot.
Amazon.com: Iris CI-604 Indoor/Outdoor Plastic Pet Pen, 4 Panels: Kitchen & Dining

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a couple. LOL The metal ones that you can get at places like Petsmart etc. are great if you don't have a climber. (see this link Dog Exercise Pens & Fence: Precision Pet Ultimate Exercise Pens at PETCO ) But some chis are and I've seen a 13 week pup scale those walls no problem at all. Then they can fall and get hurt etc. Mostly, it's just annoying for the owner to find the puppy all over the house. My three aren't climbers though so it works for them. However, with my new puppy, I didn't trust the dogs all together at night and so I got this one
Google Image Result for http://www.petstorebyconny.com/members/785824/uploaded/Dog_Play_Pen_Pink_Ice.jpg
and I love it so much. I can put a litter box (grass pad), food, bed and toys in there and Peach is as happy as a clam. She is safe, can't climb out and what I love about it is that it is elevated from the ground. So, you don't have to worry about training accidents on carpet etc. One thing I hated about it though is that the pad (floor cover) is a somewhat pourous nylon and it truly is a modified baby playpen. I didn't want urine soaking through it as there is no way to wash that part because the bottom is hard and then it's a pad with the covering. So, I just got a roll of carpet protector plastic and put it on the bottom over the pad. Problem solved. It was great for travel as nobody minds if you bring your puppy to stay with them if nothing they have can get ruined at night etc. I love this pen. :)
Tricia
Thanks Tricia! I love the second one, if it came in something other than pink I probably would have sprung for it!

I used this one for Bryco: Walmart.com: IRIS 4 Panel Indoor/Outdoor Plastic Pen White: Dogs. Looks cute and does the job. YOu can put more than one together if you feel so inclined, but one is just about the right size for a chi puppy.
I have the same one kristi has. I LOVE it . It's so easy to put together and take apart. It's just long plastic "pins" for lack of a better word you stick in the hinged areas on the 4 plastic panels. IMO it's cuter than the metal ones and can't be tipped over. Also won't rust since it's heavy duty plastic.
Right now it's cheaper at amazon and free shipping to boot.
Amazon.com: Iris CI-604 Indoor/Outdoor Plastic Pet Pen, 4 Panels: Kitchen & Dining
Thanks! Just ordered it from Amazon! Does it have a bottom? I couldnt tell from the pics, if not I will just have to have it on the tile.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Oh, I think you'll be happy with what you ordered. FYI, though, they do come in other colors and way cheaper than that site. I think I paid a total of about $60 with shipping from eBay new. They had it in blue for sure, pink and maybe red. Anyway, I hope you love your pen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts