Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new vet. The vets office I go to now is should I say making me uncomfortable. I don't know if they have gotten a new vet of if they just switch vets. The last vet I got I got twice in a row. He is very uncomfortable for me and I can imagine what it is like for Hershey. The first time he wasn't very friendly and acted like he was the "doctor and everyone else around him was stuped. He didin't do any tests on Hershey because she had a rash just said it was a skin infection and prescribed medecine and charged a lot. The next time was for her rabies shot and in the other room I heard him tell the nerse in secret "Oh, it's the rat dog again." and didn't even see her the lady helping him did and gave her the shots. I don't think this is appropriate. The other vet there was so gentile and loving with her.

The other thing is I don't know if they are very knowlegeable about small dog breeds. How would I go about finding one who is?

Sorry this is so long, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm going to be searching for a vet here with in the next few day so I can't tell you for sure. But one things I would say is that the vet you are going to now is not knowledgeable about toy breeds or at least doesn't like them and I would not go back again. What I plan on doing for finding a vet that is knowledgeable with toy breeds is call and ask them point blank and then maybe ask if they have many toy breeds at there office.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I think if you feel uncomfortable then you must find a new vet. Just because of the breed of the dog does not mean the vet has a right to give the dog inadequate service.

Best way to find a new vet is to have a general check up and see how well the vet is with Hershey!

Reallly hope you find a new vet soon!

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
That is so unprofessional, calling Hershey a little rat and then not even seeing her! You do need to find a new vet, or maybe ask the office if that first vet you saw (the nice,gentle one) still works there, and maybe recommend that vet next visit. I'd even tell them why if they ask. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hershey is a beautiful little cutie and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! f he is going to be so rude and disrespectful to your lil buddy and you then you should find another vet and ask about what happened to the other one you like. Don't be afraid to tell the truth of what you've heard and experienced! :wave: Good luck with finding a great vet for Hersh!! :D

·
Registered
518 Posts
"Oh it's the rat dog again"

If that was said in a nice teasing way, like I have a friend who says Frasier can't be a whole dog because he's "just a little bit of dog", I'd be okay with it.

But if the vet who I'm paying tons of money to said "rat dog" in a rude or taunting way I would absolutely come unglued. I would go to the back, snatch up my dog, and make the biggest scene ever made in that office. :angryfire:

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
I go to a huge practice and I can tell you I ask for the one vet all the time, and unless its an emergency I get her as I know she likes the small breeds....but its hard to find a vet I have been thru three, I can say I am not 100% happy and am always ready to listen to hear how people are with their vets. My vet now has Sunday hours so its nice knowing they are there 7 days a week.

Good luck and no way should you stay there if u are not comfortable :?

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Vanessa, always trust your gut instincts and you can't go wrong. Go find a new vet or you will suffer the same discomfort every single time. Who needs that?

Plus, there are going to be times when you absolutely must trust your vet (I mean, way more than just for normal stuff) and you need to believe he or she has Hershey's best interests in mind.

I know you'll make the right decision and find someone both you and Hershey can trust. :)

·
Registered
634 Posts
I cannot believe the Vet said that. That breaks my heart for you. I would ask if the other Vet still works there, and tell them you only want to see him/her. If he/she doesn't, I'd find another Vet's office. I'm so sorry you were treated so rudely. :evil:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I'd find a new vet ASAP. If you have any feelings of uncomfortableness, why take the chance? go by what your instincts tell you.

:banghead: :angry5: i'm so sick and tired of hearing people refer to our beloved chi's as rats! they are NOT rats! rats are ugly, dirty, diseased rodents who live in sewers and eat feces and garbage! I'd say something to that vet...give him a piece of your mind and let him know you are finding a new vet and telling everyone you know how he treats animals. Heaven help anyone who calls Chico a rat in front of me...they will be sorry they did! :boxing:

sorry...got carried away there for a minute, it just makes me to mad to hear people say crap like that. our chi's are our babies and i get very defensive of them.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Chico's Mama said:
:banghead: :angry5: i'm so sick and tired of hearing people refer to our beloved chi's as rats! they are NOT rats! rats are ugly, dirty, diseased rodents who live in sewers and eat feces and garbage!
AMEN sister!! :D

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
That vet was very unprofessional in my opinion. I really don't blame you for being upset. And they shouldn't charge you vet fees if the vet never even saw Hershey.

I know I would be looking for a new vet if I had a similar expereience.

If someone in your family or a friend has a pet, you could check with them for a recommendation for a vet. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just told my husband what happened to you and he couldn't believe it! He said you should report him to a vet association or something. Even if it doesn't really help you out maybe it will help someone else who has a chihuahua that goes to that office.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
:x If he's not the main vet (owner) I definitely think you should complain (actually, even if he was :wink: )..his attitude is not only EXTREMELY unprofessional but down right rude...and for the money you pay you deserve great service especially when your dog's health is at risk. Put a complaint in and then leave. Just don't leave without voicing your complaints...you might help other people being mistreated by that jerk! :evil:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sorry if someone else has posted this in the thread but I havent had time to read thru -

I'd say switch vets NOW!!!! And also, tell the vet exactly why. I would be fuming if winston was called a rat dog. What a derrogatory turn of phrase, let him know you heard it - and let him know in the middle of his practice at the busiest time possible. Let evryone hear how little respect he has for your loved one.

Not just the name calling - but dont forget, if you are uncomfortable around the vet the dog will be too. I've known my vet for along time and we're friends when I take winston is and he can sense that because walks to the vet to play after an examination. It makes it sooooooooo much easier!!

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
i would really search for a new vet !! if i heard him say that i would have just walked away , are yelled something at him :? sometimes i can be quite expolsive :wink:

i'm so happy i found a very good vet ,who loves small breeds and knows a lot about them !!

kisses nat

1 - 18 of 18 Posts