Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, need advice. I'm rescuing a 1yr 3m old chi whose previous owners had been calling him "doggie" i thought this was not an ideal name for any dog because he could easily be lured away. do you think it's too late to change his name?
This is also my first dog and am taking opinions on a situation. There's another chi I would like to rescue from family that is willing to give him up. On one hand feel like to two dogs together with my two cats that have been with me for 13 yrs. may be too many pets for a two bedroom condo, no yard. So really one dog would be manageable. On the other hand the 2nd chi was my grandmothers who passed away a few years ago and now my aunt who inherited her house has made my grandma's beloved pet into an outdoor dog. I don't feel obligated but feel sad for the poor doggie who lost his owner and now his home. What do ya'll think?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
First - I don't think it is too late to change the dog's name. I changed the name of a rescue I adopted several years ago, and she was over 4 years old.

As for taking in two chis, along with the two cats you already have, that would depend on several things. Do you have enough time to devote to them, how do you think your cats would react, and the two chis involved. You also need to consider the financial obligation regarding possible future vet bills. How old is your grandmother's chi? It would be an adjustment for all of you, but if you are willing to make the effort, go for it. I think it would be a great thing to do - chis are simply not outside dogs, as I'm sure you are aware. So, if your grandmother's chi was accustomed to being inside, she is probably unhappy and lonely outside. Spacewise, that shouldn't be a real problem as chis are so small and don't require a lot of room for exercising. They get most of the exercise they need just playing and zooming around the house.

Just want to say also, I think it is wonderful that you are even considering adopting both of these special babies. I don't know how much experience you've had with chis, but they are so loving and have such wonderful personalities. Let us know what you decide. Best of luck.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Hi and welcome,

Its not too late too change his name but I would consider something with the same sound wit either "ie" or "y" on the end.

Chihuahuas are not outdoor dogs so if you could rescue the other dog that would be great, I mean alsong as they will get a few walks a day, they have plenty of space to play they are very adaptable little dogs and will soon settle

good luck and keep us posted :wave:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts