Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend went to the hospital and I am taking over the care of her litter of 6 babies in my home. I'm no stranger to raising puppies or kittens but I'm wondering if this seemingly fragile breed needs any type of specific care, i.e., special foods, specific worming medication, are there any type of vaccines they SHOULDN'T have, when vaccines should be given, when should they be fully weaned, at what age they can be placed, etc. I don't want to do anything wrong and seek the advice of experienced breeders who in my mind, would have the best answers to my questions. Thank you kindly to anyone who can guide me.

· Registered
39 Posts
I'll start off by saying I'm not a breeder, just someone who's had chihuahuas over the years. I've read that a shot for leptospirosis is unsafe, as for the rest of your questions, tiny dogs such as chis are ready to go to their new homes at around 10 weeks, very tiny pups should be kept to around 12 weeks. Other than that they are cared for the same as any other dog.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you SO much for your advice! I'd already read online not to give the lepto and was thinking at least 12 weeks or so for their placement, depending on their physical & psychological development. We have a professional show cattery (established 1965, British Shorthairs) and we don't release our kittens until 16 weeks of age. I'm working diligently on their socialization and all in all, they seem to be doing well...so far! I've never had small dogs before (just large ones) and I quickly realized there are a lot of differences in a toy puppy's needs. As one who has never even been around a Chihuahua before, I can already see why this breed is such a popular little dog! Thanks again for responding!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts