Chihuahua People Forum banner

Need advice

5424 Views 36 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  susan davis
Hello, I am new here! I posted a few days ago but it won't let me post in any other forum, but I really need some help!

I took my little guy home about 2 weeks ago, he was 10 weeks. He was great the first week, he ate and played. He got a clean bill of health from my vet, his stool sample checked and got his first shots along with another round of de-wormer to be on the safe side.

3 days later, I woke up by hearing him yelping and he was passing out! I knew this meant hypoglycemia, rubbed Karo on his gums and rushed to the ER vet. He spent the day there and on fluids/dextrose. He came home with me in the evening, where I continued to syringe feed him every 2 hours. There has been his dry food, which his breeder fed him, to free feed but he has not touched it. (I had been leaving it for him to free feed, I am assuming he did not eat any the night before I found him unresponsive, even though I thought he had been eating)

Since then, I have been feeding him every 2-3 hours. It is going on day 6. He has definitely improved and seems stronger, his stool is forming more. He is interested in what I'm doing, etc and wants to sit next to me. But still doesn't want to eat! And he seems to be having a little cough when I try to syringe feed him. He did seem stuffy for a few days, but I thought it was a side effect of his de-wormer since that was done intra-nasally and it seems to be improving.

In the syringe, I mix Royal Canin R/s recovery with Nutri Cal and warm bone broth to make a "milk shake". I have also given unflavored Pedialyte mixed in with his water.

Please, any suggestions? I am wondering if his little tummy hurt and he just didn't want to eat, but because he is so small that sent him into hypo. I am not sure what it could be, though. Please help.
1 - 15 of 37 Posts
I'm sorry, you are right--it was the bordatella he was given intranasally. The dewormer was Nemex! I don't know why I got those mixed up, but no sleep...

I will look for the "satin balls". Yes, tomorrow will be a full week. I have put warm water in his food, put it on a plate vs a bowl, left it down for 20 minutes then put up, literally everything I can think of! He didn't even want to lick any peanut butter off my finger:(
Thanks so much!

Tonight he actually wanted a piece of lettuce, which made me want to dance with joy, as well as chewing on his teething ring.
If I let him get hungry, how do I maintain his blood sugar? Just rubbing Karo or Nutri Cal on his gums?
Thank you!

I was so excited because he wanted to eat some lettuce last night, but we are back to square one today and syringe feeding. He is a little congested. I gave him a tiny drop of benadryl to help with that and we are going back to the vet on Thursday (she is out of town today and tomorrow) No doubt congestion is not helping his wanting to eat!
Thank you so much!

I have tried tuna as well as some of my cats Wellness wet food chicken and salmon...I have a bark box that had several extra pungent treats...I will keep trying though. The recovery food is supposed to stimulate his appetite, too! He is definitely improving, walking around more, standing on his hind legs for me to take him out of his playpen...trying to climb out of his puppy carrier (I took him to work to monitor!)

I had my soul mate dog for 10+ years before he passed from CHF and I never ever had a problem with him not wanting to eat, even if he didn't feel well he still wanted treats or anything I was eating, so this is very new to me! I appreciate you trying to help!
Thanks! I tried that today, actually, ran to the salad bar at work & tried hard boiled egg, lettuce again, carrot, cheese, ham, turkey...also a few goldfish crackers...along with offering his puppy kibble with warmed bone broth poured over. That is a good idea though, this pupper has gotta eat!
Thank you for your advice!
I have not tried the boiling water under a towel! We are going to the vet today so that's something I can try when we get home. I do have a can of Esbilac that I have been mixing into his milkshake on and off.

Wish this tiny angel luck!
Thank you so much...

I dropped my baby of this morning and he has pneumonia! :( :( He is at the ER vet overnight on an IV for fluids and antibiotics. He wasn't coughing? He did have some sniffles. It's aspirated pneumonia, so something got stuck down there whether it was from intranasal vaccine, syringe feeding, or something he randomly inhaled. He seemed very energetic and wanting to play when I picked him up from my primary vet and transferred him over, send him some good vibes if you've got any to spare :(
Thanks...he had x-rays today, and it doesn't look like megaesophogus. I will search the forums for it though. I've never had a pup have pneumonia before, especially such a tiny fragile little baby.
He is 1.5 pounds now, and was 1.8 pounds. He stayed in the ER vet overnight and treated for pneumonia, low blood sugar as well as low protein. He was treated with oxygen and IV fluids, IV antibiotics and dextrose. His blood sugar is normal now, his enzyme levels are normal except for his protein, which they supplemented. However, he is still not eating. I am hoping he will start eating at my primary vet today so I can take him home and administer his antibiotics at home, otherwise it will be another night in the ER vet for IV antibiotics :( :(
Well, unfortunately, his blood sugar is not stabilizing despite the dextrose. He just had a seizure. My vet is not very optimistic and I am not sure he is going to make it. We are going to try longer on the dextrose but after being on IV fluids and antibiotics and dextrose, for him to still have this problem is just very bad :(
I am very sad to say that he did not make it. After his seizure, my vet boosted him with dextrose, which brought him to 140. but despite being on a 7.5% drip, it dipped back down into the 30s. I went to see him and he was NOT doing well, in fact he was suffering. We unfortunately had to make the decision. If he had shown the slightest improvement, anything, I would have been more hopeful. He deteriorated so quickly at the vet, I couldn't even believe it :( Thank you for all your help. Now just absolutely heartbroken.

He had several blood tests and each ones showed normal enzyme levels, minus the protein this wee. So we are not sure what it could be. My vet says he was just a "poor doer who failed to thrive". I have requested an autopsy so maybe we can get some answers. Thanks for all your help. Now I have to start to heal myself :(
I did, actually. Because I just could not understand what happened.
Unfortunately, my vet could not tell me very much. :(

I just don't get it. I have read a lot online about it. I know pneumonia does not happen overnight and he was not coughing or having a fever. He started having some congestion on the 26th, but as he had seemed to be getting stronger to me, I thought it possibly was side effect of vaccines showing up.

I know that he initially fell ill 4 days after receiving his vaccines. Whether it was something from before he came to live with me, or I have read about a link between bordatella vaccine and pneumonia:

Bordetella and Pets

The Kennel Cough- Bordetella Vaccine Controversy

Maybe a lowered immune system from the stress of moving? We just don't know exactly. I can't help but wonder how it was not caught when he was at the vet, as he was there for full days to be monitored, but again he was asymptomatic and his tests were normal several times.

I did select cremation so that I can always remember our time together, no matter how short. His breeder is a wondering and caring woman and we were in constant contact throughout everything. She is just as heartbroken as I am.

Any thoughts? Have you ever read about a link between vaccine and pneumonia?
See less See more
I am glad your pups are doing well! Thank you for explaining that to me.

I'm definitely no anti-vaxxer, but I do have concerns with over-vaccinating as well as something that may be unnecessary. Now, I don't know if this is what happened, obviously I am searching for answers to my heartache as well as trying to come to terms that there may be none. It may just be a sad thing that happened, I agree. He was eating solid food until 3 days after his vaccinations and I found him hypo, after which he refused literally everything offered to him. Minus the lettuce and puppy teething ring a few days later. It definitely makes me question how/if vaccines affected anything.

My breeder has offered me first pick in her next litter, and I am not sure I will do a bordatella vaccine again. Or I may consider breaking it up and doing it at an older age. Obv, core vaccines like distemper, parvo etc are no question.
I am leaning toward not doing bordatella. I'm glad your chi was okay, it sucks he got kennel cough from it!!

I asked my vet about the dose because I had read somewhere they use the same dose for all dogs regardless of size, and she confirmed they did but only used about 3/4 of the vaccines instead of the whole dose. Have you any experience/advice with this?

I am thankful as well. We were in constant contact from the getgo. I really value her kindness and integrity.
1 - 15 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.