Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again....It's been a quite a while since I've been on the boards!!

I need some advice with my boys. Lately I've had a big problem with marking in the house. I don't know which one is responsible for doing the marking as it always happens when we're not looking....I think because he knows its wrong!! All of them are neutered and have been since they were puppies (they are 3yrs old, 2yrs & 1yrs)

How can I correct the behavior if I never catch the culprit? I always make sure to clean up really well after each accident. It's incredibly frustrating because I'll take them outside to go potty, and then a few minutes later I'll end up finding a puddle on the floor, even though they all peed while outside!!

How can i stop this?!?!?

Thanks,
Alie

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Such cute boys! They have a belt they can wear--not sure exactly what it's called, but I'm sure someone will come along & let you know. I would use the process of elimination theory, maybe; put belts on 2 and see if the one without the belt is doing it & so on... I guess because you have 3 boys, anyone or all are probably doing as this is how they mark their territory. The belts are the only thing I can think of.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I think what Woodard is talking about is called a belly band. If it's just marking there should not be a big puddle. They just do little squirts to mark territory. I agree you have to find out who is the bad boy.
If you can't watch them put them in their kennel, at least 2 of them, then you can keep up with the 1 left out.
Possibly more than 1 is marking, that would explain why the puddle is big.
You can buy the belly bands off e-bay.
I wouldn't let them all have free run till I knew who is marking and keep a belly band on them.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Here's what you do...you buy 3 belly bands...you have them wear them in the house...pretty soon you will know which one is doing it. I put a white maxi pad in it, so it's very clear if they have tinkled ;) ;) My favorite bellybands are from seller Spotnotz on eBay...they are fabulous. Get the 3.5" width minimum, 4" might be better.

My money's on the boy in the middle LMAO!

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
LOL he does look quilty

Here's what you do...you buy 3 belly bands...you have them wear them in the house...pretty soon you will know which one is doing it. I put a white maxi pad in it, so it's very clear if they have tinkled ;) ;) My favorite bellybands are from seller Spotnotz on eBay...they are fabulous. Get the 3.5" width minimum, 4" might be better.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I have three males and have the same problem. I was blaming it on one of them only, but as I became more aware and watching I found out all three of them did at one time or another.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts

LMAO!!! He does look guilty...but my money is on the cute LC chocolate. He looks just like my Bailey and Bailey is guilyy of piddle on the floor too:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
LOL Kristi!

I only have girls so I'm not help but looks like you have some good advice! I just wanted to comment on how handsome your little boys are!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I agree that it may be all of them. If one marks usually all will come in behind and mark where he has marked. I was going to suggest what Kristi suggested, using 3 belly bands with maxi pads in them so you would know who is doing it ;-)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Probably worth mentioning, especially if its pretty specific spots, are you cleaning the spots with an enzyme cleaner like petastic? using just regular cleaners still leaves a smell that they can smell, and it may be " encouraging " them to go in that spot. cause " well someone already went there, must be okay to go there too". thats if its all three really, but still sort of applicable for one dog :)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone! I will try the bellybands...that seems like a sure way to find out if one or all of them are doing it!

"Probably worth mentioning, especially if its pretty specific spots, are you cleaning the spots with an enzyme cleaner like petastic?"

Yes I am cleaning the spots with an enzyme cleaner. Luckily I have no carpets in my house, so that makes clean up easier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts