Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh gosh, where do I begin? :roll: Molly is just terrible when it comes to taking baths! I give her a bath in the basment (don't worry it's not cold or anything like that) washtub. It's so bad that one time Molly was like flinging herself around and she ended up in the tub on the other side! :? I need so much help! She goes crazy! What do I do? I try to be real slow and always say 'good girl' and 'I love you'. I even sing to her. Please tell me what you think I can do or maybe something I can do to calm her down. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
What kind of material is the tub you bath her in? I bought a little plastic flexible mat so Zeus wouldn't slide around and feel insecure. This helped a lot. I wash Zeus in the kitchen sink since it's smaller then a tub. I think he felt really insecure in the tub because he couldn't look out. The kitchen sink is the perfect height that he can look around. How much water do you put in the tub? I only put about 3-4 inches of water in when bathing Zeus. I rinse him using a wash cloth instead of a sprayer, much like a sponge bath.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Oh wow, I'm so afraid she'll hurt herself if she's spazzing around like that!

Do you put something on the bottom of the sink (an old dish towel, a rubber dish drainer thing, something like that) so she doesn't slip? I know dogs hate not having control of their feet. Is the water just the right temp? Is the water level fairly low? I put Lily in just a few inches of warm water. She doesn't like it but she does hold still.

Are you careful not to get any water in her ears? Careful not to get any shampoo in her eyes?

I know these are real obvious things that you have probably already considered. Just trying to cover all bases. :)

Poor scared Molly. :(

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, the sink isn't slippery I mean she spends most of the time scratching my arm and standing on her hind legs! I only have a little water in the tub, I try not to get water in her ears but when she twists around I try to hold her and she ends up getting her head under water. I don't get shampoo in her eyes either. I really have no idea why she acts this way! :(

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sorry to hear you're having trouble with Molly :( , try not to stand her in any water in the bottom of the bath.
If you haven't got a mixer tap or shower attachment have a bucket of water ready at the right temperature next to the bath so you can just dip the jug in & pour gently over her.
Also you could try to place her in the bath sometimes without washing her & just treat her when shes got all 4 feet down so she realises its nothing to be scared of. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Yeah, I like that idea of just lovin' her up and giving her treats in the tub without giving her a bath. Get her used to the environment first before you add water. Or maybe try using the kitchen sink (if you can talk your mom into it:lol: ), as someone suggested. It might be less scary for Molly.

If she's splashing around so much that her head is under water and she's scratching the heck out of you... this might sound weird but maybe put a harness on her. A wet chi is a slippery chi so the harness would give you something to hang onto during this ordeal. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re: Need alo of help w/baths

I can sympathize with you.
My 5 year old Prince just hates getting a bath. I bathe him in my bathtub in a little bit of lukewarm water. He always tries to jump out of the tub, but fortunately it's way too high for him. I've tried everything to get him to like but it, but he just plain doesn't like getting a bath!!!
Oh, well, at least he's good about getting his nails done :lol:

Bill
[email protected]

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
haha...i bring them in the tub with me, they hate it but they stay. Also, I think they are afraid of the faucet of water, so I use a cup and fill it up with water, and use that to rinse them rather than the direct flow. Also, make sure the water is not too hot. Hot for humans is BURNING for dogs, test the water with your elbow, and if it feels warm, that's just right.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts