Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new to this board and need some desperate help with potty issues! I apologize if this is a bit long. I have a 5 month old female chihuahua that we recently purchased from a breeder. Her name is "Sheila" and she currently weighs about 1.75 pounds. The issue is, I cannot get her to "poop" during potty time. Whenever I take her on potty breaks and say "potty", I know she understands that command, because she'll pee immediately. But she refuses to poop for some reason. We've had her for about a little over a week now.

Right now I have her using potty pads in our laundry room, because winters in MN can be super harsh, and we've had -25 to -30 below zero temps lately and she does not like to go potty in the snow in that temp (who can blame her!). I've tried outdoor potty plus puppy pads to see which one she prefers, and she will not hesitate to pee, but she will not poop. I would wait for 30 minutes or so and she still will not do it. I take her after meals, after naps, throughout the day and evening, even one last attempt around 10:00 pm.....she still wont' do it..

Instead, what she does is hold it all day and then poop in her kennel super late at night or early in the morning around 1-2 am....she'll get it all over herself and she has to be bathed daily. It's getting quite frustrating and I'm not sure what else to do. I'm not sure why she would pee, but not poop. Not sure why she would do it in her Crate, I know that dogs don't like to soil their "den". Her crate is the smallest size possible as well, can't find any crate that is smaller then the one that we have.

I have another 3 1/2 year old male chihuahua, and he never had these issues. Our new female pup Sheila, just seems to be very stubborn and unwilling....today she has an appt with the Vet to rule out any possible medical condition that could be causing this...but besides that I am at a lost as to why she is this way. Any suggestions or related experiences would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Did you ask her breeder if she was the same when she had her?

Usually having them on set feeding times does help with training - but I see she is quite tiny so maybe she needs freefeeding.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hi There and Welcome....

Wow, that is quite unusual for her to mess her crate.... I know you said that you have the smallest kennel you could find, but perhaps as she is so small there is still too much room? Perhaps if there is a way to put some kind of divider or to put something in there to restrict the space she has to an even smaller area she might be less inclined to soil the crate?

I would also definitely check with the breeder as mentioned above to see if this was an existing issue before you got her....

Good luck!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Another idea is to put her little crate in an enclosed space, such as a baby playpen with pee pads on the floor. That way she can sleep in her crate/bed but get out of it and go potty on the pad when she has to go. I'm guessing she is pooping her crate because she has to go and can't hold it all night. I'd give her the opportunity to be clean instead of forcing her to lie in it.

Once she is bigger and older, she will be able to hold it better.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Another idea is to put her little crate in an enclosed space, such as a baby playpen with pee pads on the floor. That way she can sleep in her crate/bed but get out of it and go potty on the pad when she has to go. I'm guessing she is pooping her crate because she has to go and can't hold it all night. I'd give her the opportunity to be clean instead of forcing her to lie in it.

This is what I did with Zoey as a pup. It worked really well.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts

If you don't have a playpen, any enclosed space will suffice...like a small bathroom and put a baby-gate up That's what I did with Tango (I have a playpen for Jazz). His bed, food and water, and a chewie were all in there, plus a pee pad. His aim wasn't always the best, so he'd sometimes miss the pee pad, but he was trying, and he WASN'T messing his bed.

I'd try that (or the playpen idea if that works) because I'm curious to see if she continues to poop in her bed even when she has a way to go elsewhere. If she does, then you know you have a different problem than her just not being able to hold it through the night.

And the other thing is that you might want to look at your dog's feeding schedule. An adjustment to it should alter when she poops, so you can finesse the schedule to correspond to a time that isnt in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bailey refuses to pee or poop on pee pads but will go on newspaper ! I hide the pee pad underneath to soak up . I find the playpen works well . Sleep area and potty area :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts