Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
It could be grain heavy with two kinds of rice listed as #2 and #3 ingredients and then oatmeal a little farther down. I also noticed dried beet pulp which is a filler and a known allergen. In fact my boxer is allergic to it. I also think i've read where it's not ideal for a fat...like chicken fat to be so high on the ingredients list. But there are worse foods out there for sure.
I'm sure some others will give their opinion on it as well. Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
I just looked at a site that sells it and i don't know what you were gonna pay for it, but the site i saw is $23.50 for 6 lbs. that's very expensive for not such a good food.
If you are looking for a fish based food how about this Amazon.com: Taste of the Wild Dry Dog Food, Pacific Stream Canine Formula with Smoked Salmon, 15-Pound Bag: Kitchen & Dining
Taste of the wild pacific stream, its' $17.62 for 15 lb bag, looks like it's on sale or something right now on amazon.
I use Orijen puppy for my puppy and she is doing super on it.
Amazon.com: Orijen Puppy Formula Dry Dog Food: Home & Garden
I get it at a specialty pet food store. it's $18.00 on amazon for 5.5 lbs. which is still cheaper than the one you're looking at.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Im not an expert, and Cherper already made some good observations. Id just chime in that ideally youd want a meat/protein first, not just a protein meal. And it certainly sounds overpriced! I like the fish formulas too as they give them such great coats, and Reese cant have chicken. We just switched to Orijen a couple days ago, and they have a 6 fish formula that we give to Reese and he LOVES it. Hes never been much of a foodie, and weve had him on 6 different kibbles prior, as well as sampling Wellness Core and a few others and its the first one that he has chased after me jumping up at my leg when Im carrying his bowl so he can get to it and gobble it all up (he also rarely used to finish meals before), so he and I would recommend that one. I paid $18 for I think a 5.5 lb bag. (Its a 6 star food, my guess on the one you mentioned would be a 3, but again Im not an expert by any means)

add: we have the same Orijen puppy for Miley that Cherper mentioned she gives Leila, and Miley loves it, although she basically loves anything

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right now I feed Wellness and it's a 5-star food. We feed Wellness small breed. This food is made by the same company and has alot of the same ingredients so I am thinking it would be a 5-star food too?? I highly doubt it's a 3-star....but anyone else know how to figure out what it rates???? I am so curious!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also wanted to add....I have a 4lb little girl and I cannot get any of these foods with huge kibbles...they make them so big she can barely eat them. I like the ones specifically designed for small breeds so the kibbles are really small. Wellness kibbles are small but the ones in the Holistic Select are even smaller which is why I was drawn to it.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Perhaps compare the two labels then and see how they stack up. Wellness also makes some kibbles that are rated at 4 stars, Orijen and Acana are the same company, but all of Orijens formulas are rated at 6 stars whereas Acanas are at 5 as they have less proteins. The Wellness I think youre referring to (Just for Puppy) has deboned chicken as its first ingredient, followed by chicken meal. The one you asked about does not, only meals, that would definitely put it at a lower rating (if you look through the 3 stars, many of them have a chicken, beef, fish etc meal as their first ingredient, where the higher rated kibbles have actual meat, or better, several meats, as their first ingredients, with meals falling further down the list, rather than being the only protein source. I would look at the ingredients, not the company, to gauge the quality of the food.
Miley is only 5 months and has no trouble with the kibble size of Orijen, theyre not overly large, but more importantly theyre flat in the middle, more of a round disc shape, so theyre not difficult for little mouths to chew. I had been concerned about kibble size in the past when looking for food, but really as long as theyre more flat and round it doesnt much matter. It is much more limiting if you try to stick to only the ones that are marketed toward small breeds.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
The orijen pieces are not "tiny" but leila is eating them fine. Since she had all her baby teeth removed on friday *6 of them* I've been adding a wee bit of warm water to her kibble and letting it sit for just a minute. Even before i ever added water though, she just inhales it so fast. blink your eyes, and it's gone! So if she can eat it with barely any teeth..lol sure yours could. haha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts