Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I am getting my new puppy on March 10th and I want to have everything all together since we will be in Hawaii the week before. I talked to the breeder and she said he's been eating chicken and rice cause hes not too big on kibble but I need him to be on kibble. Lol. He's a teeny chi at just 1lb at 13.5 weeks old. What kind of kibble do you suggest and it would have to be extremely small bites due to his size. Thanks for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I'd put him on ZiwiPeak. It's not kibble, but it's excellent and it comes in a bag just like kibble. It's little jerky squares. Should be easy for a puppy to eat. :)

·
Registered
786 Posts
My Chi is 1.8 lbs. at 8 months old and she has been on Hill's Science Diet Puppy Small & Toy Breed recipe since we brought her home. At first, we had to soak the kibble in a bit of chicken broth so that she would eat it, but now she does just fine with the regular kibble.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Nutrition for our little ones is SUPER important. Tracy said once (and now I quote it often) that with a small breed like ours that every bite counts.

Good for you moving your new one off chicken and rice. That is NOT balanced enough.

Here is an excellent site that offers unbiased ratings on dog foods.

You may be surprised to learn that many famous/highly advertised/pushed by your vet brands are not actually rated well and not good for your dog.

There are many excellent kibbles out there. Fromm, Taste of the Wild, Acana, Orijen and more.

I personally will not feed grains and have chosen to feed Ziwipeak.

Hope this site helps. You can search by number of stars or by a name of a food. Again because every bite counts, I'd never feed anything but a 5 star rated food:
Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Ratings

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
100% agree on Karen's post.

Ziwipeak would be #1 choice, if it's too pricey or you simply prefer
to feed kibble then Acana Pacifica would be second best imo.

Congrats on your new pup!!! :p

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Is ziwipeak raw?

Also, I've recently switched to Innova puppy. What are you thoughts on that? I was feeding wellness puppy but the kibble was too big for Miya and I started reading some posts on here about negative comments on wellness pupppy..

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Feeding a chi can be tough...they are notoriuosly challenging with food. You may have to work it out with your pup. I fed Rico what the breeder had given me for a bit and then once I had him eating--that took a while here pups go at 8 weeks and he was just getting the eating thing--I gave him other things that I felt would be better for him. It is funny but the orijen kidbble although it seemed HUGE at the time, I remember breaking it into bits really seemed to stimilate his appetitie. Now he would eat anything--truly . He is really good and can eat raw or cooked food or kibble without a bother. Each dog is different, you have a tiny one coming and you will just have to do your best to get him fed. When Rico was a baby I also left food all of the time for him for a few weeks--obviously that free feeeding stopped--haha

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I'm just curious if the breeder updated you recently about how he's eating? And what he's eating? Chicken and rice by itself is very unbalanced (no calcium!) and a very very poor choice for a puppy. I'd want him eating WELL before even thinking of putting him on a plane.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
When we first got our Maltese she was very tiny and a picky eater. She would eat a loosely scrambled egg while we franatically tried food after food to find an acceptable puppy food she would eat. Thankfully she loved Blue Buffalo Puppy kibble and we soaked in water for a while until she got bigger. I agree with Tracy and Karen when you get him stop the chicken and rice--I have read in all my studying food that an unbalanced diet in a puppy can do serious damage in a matter of a couple of months. With us the egg was only a quick fix to prevent hypogylcemia while we found balanced food.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Oh, and be sure you have Nutrical but dont overdo it with that. Your puppy leads food not sugar.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I didn't look at the link Karen posted since I feed raw, but I have heard some good things about Stella & Chewys too. However, this is not 1st hand, but maybe worth a look :)

Have fun in Hawaii & looking forward to tiny tiny puppy pics!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts