Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've learned from taking one pup per day with me to babysit which ones it is that still have issues with having accidents in the house. I'm at my wits end with it and my stepdad wants the issues worked on before Eva comes home in 2 weeks. Leah is good as gold and hasn't had any accidents. Both Quinn and Claude pee and poo where ever they want. I just can't take it anymore. Well tonight I pulled out the dog crates and put their beds in them and have put them in the for the night. Well they were ok for about 10 minutes and then they started whinning. My mom and little sisters are crying because I have them in the crates. :( My mom has even been crying because they are whinning. Am I doing the right thing? I want them to be happy healthy dogs but I also want them to know that they go outside or in the potty box not on the floor.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Crate training is the best way to start teaching your dogs boundaries. Eventually they will view it as a safe retreat.

During the day can you possibly have a pen set up for them? With potty pads, bed, water, toys, etc.?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Crate training is the best way to start teaching your dogs boundaries. Eventually they will view it as a safe retreat.

During the day can you possibly have a pen set up for them? With potty pads, bed, water, toys, etc.?
I hope so. I took them outside after 3 hours. My sister told me I was abusing them. :rolleyes:

I'm having my brother bring the playpen I loaned him for my neice over so that they can be in there during the day.

hi i see you have your hands full good luck and have patience
Thanks. I have patience with the dogs. Its the humans that are rubbing me the wrong way.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I can remember being so upset with my Dad for crate training when I was little ~ honestly though it is the way to go and they really do (once they get adjusted) love their own personal space.

It is very hard (imo) to teach a pup multiple elimination conditions. I would go with one area. Outside or potty box. It's just too much on a little joker to figure out what you mean when you aren't 100% consistent and if you have 2 locations that are permitted there is no consistency for them to grasp initially.

Don't give them full run of the house until they are reliable. It is too difficult to keep the constant eye needed on them to potty train & it is also impossible to find urine and properly clean it when they have free run.

I would get Natures Miracle. Clean all indoor areas that they have eliminated in. Because if you don't break down those enzymes it's a trigger for them to use that spot again. If you are fussing at them they will sneak it in when you aren't looking.

Crate them. They will cry initially, ignore it. When they wake up take them outside or to potty pad. If they go reward them (love or very small treat). If they don't go, put them back in crate ~ rinse and repeat. After they eat take them to area: treat if they go, if they don't crate them up. Continue in increments of taking them outside or to potty box. After a meal be mindful of how long their individual systems took to process food and eliminate as you will rely on that to learn their habits. After a play session take them outside or to potty box: if they go treat/love, if they do not crate them & every so often depending on age take them outside to try again.

Once you have rewarded them for going potty in their area, really kick in the loving and give them a little bit of "restricted supervised" play time so they can begin to eventually make the connection "hey if I do my business here ~ amazingly good things are going to happen" They will make this connection.

If they have free run, and eyes aren't on them at all times it will be almost impossible. And if they have had accidents in the house that weren't properly cleaned (breaking down the enzymes) they will continue to soil.

Also remember you have to catch them in the act because if you don't and you fuss at them afterwards they have no earthly idea what they are getting fussed at for. Interrupt them when you see them doing the dirty or just thoroughly clean area discovered after the fact and realize they pottied because someone wasn't watching them and make sure they aren't running wild without someone watching them constantly.

It's a united effort from everyone in the house to be on board with this to accomplish the end result ~ but you will do so if you guys are consistent.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
It's pretty difficult to train that many young dogs at once, and adding the new one to the mix isn't going to help things, either. :confused:

I've staggered mine to the point to where one was well housetrained before the next one joined the pack. The housetrained ones helped as much as I did with training the new one.

It sounds like there are too many people involved, as well. You have to be consistent with how you train. If you have to live with this many people who are opposed to the way you train them and you have to change your methods to pacify the humans, you've got a tough road ahead of you. Everyone needs to be on the same page...

Surely your mother isn't okay with them using the bathroom wherever and whenever they want???

·
Registered
801 Posts
Unfortunately you have two families living under one roof. Your Mom/Dad/Sis and you and your furbabies.

It's just like living with your mom/dad when you're raising your skin kids....they are always going to tell you how/what/when to do. And they are not always going to agree with your parenting. It doesn't mean they don't care for the pups or support you. It's sort of just how parents are made and anytime you have two families under one roof....things are going to be a little strained at best.

I honestly think they are being very generous to allow you to have three dogs under the age of one in the house, at the same time, with two not yet housebroke and another one coming home soon that also will be nowhere close to pottytrained.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies.

I know it is easier for the dog already her to be trained before the puppy comes home. The puppy wasn't my doing and is a V-day gift from a friend that I won't hurt by saying know, I had planned on getting a 4th just not this soon. Quinn was trained before I got Leah. And Leah was trained before Claude was brought home. This is a new thing with them deciding to go in the house instead of letting us know they need to go out. I don't know what caused the replase in their behavior or why it is just the boys doing it.

My family loves all of the dogs (Claude is half my moms and my stepdad claims leah :/). Everyone is equally frustrated about them having accidents but have different views on how to fix it. I'd move out on my own but I am living at home to help with expenses while they are going through a tough time.

·
Registered
311 Posts
If you know of a local dog trainer that your family trusts, speak with them and come up with a plan that everyone feels good about. A reputable trainer is able to speak about the different ways and guide everyone so that you guys can get together and get the pups trained. Good Luck and I don't envy you I know this 1 little pup is putting me through my paces and she has honestly been a breeze . I can't even grasp how a person would get the herd you have reliable, my nerves would be shot and my feet would need a good soak :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts