Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughters 3 yr old chihuahua, Eddie, freakes out when her boyfriend gets near him, tries to pet him or shows him ANY attention.. when he first started coming around, he was fine, then after about 1 month he started freaking out? NOW, he won't let him touch him, hold him, LOOK AT HIM or anything without screaming or running and hiding...He also lost his bowels when he pet him a few times??
WHAT CAN WE DO????!!!!!!!!
We are so frustrated and don't know WHAT is going on... Her bf hasnt hurt him or yell at him, and he is so upset the little guy doesn't like him anymore...
PLEASE PLEASE help,,
We've tried ignoring him, that didn't work, he's tried feeding him and doing all that is is necessary for Eddie's needs, but the little guy just doesn't want him NEAR him....
after he leaves the house Eddie is FINE like nothing ever happened????

WHAT THE HECK????

PLEASE we are so desperate for help!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Need Help desperately

No, we got him when he was a puppy... We SUSPECT her ex bf may have mistreated him...but he was sweet as pie to this new boyfriend for about a month as I said, now he screams and relieves himself and is just plain scarey when he's around...we KNOW Jason(her new bf) hasn't hurt him in any way he's an animal lover and is very sad Eddie is like this and has tried and tried to appease him... :(
She's at her wits end..
:((

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
I would get him to sit on the floor no eye contact with Eddie a few treats by his side don't talk to him just see if he will come a little closer to him,this may take some time but with patience i'm sure he'll come round.Good luck

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I know this is a sensitive subject cause it could be anything. My mom had a terrier mix, and she didn't like men at all! My mom was beaten almost everyday by a boyfriend, and there was nothing the dog could do. So after that, she just didn't like men. Not saying this is what is happening with your sister, but maybe they had an argument in front of the dog, and he is scared. I like what Michele said about having him sit on the floor while her bf sits without eye contact and a few treats next to him.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Our Chi/terrier mix IS a rescue, and was terrified of men when I first got him, although I wasn't told that. (I knew that he was abused by children...)

My poor husband got bitten daily for the first few weeks. Pedro never broke the skin, but he was a fear biter, and he was trying to make a claim on me and let my husband know how he felt about him at the same time. It was a mess. I was terrified that at any time, my husband would up and say "I can't do this". But he was patient, and Pedro came around. I don't think he's been bitten in over a year.

Not quite so quick to love my adult son, though! Pedro just stopped biting him about a month ago.

He's come a long way, but it took alot of patience and ALOT of positive reinforcement to make Pedro realize that my husband and I were a package deal.

Good luck to your daughter!

·
Registered
437 Posts
How does the dog react outside of the house? Maybe it is a good idea to let the boyfreind walk outside and play with the puppy.
Walking is very good for bonding.

·
Registered
74 Posts
When I got Thor he didn't like men either (also a rescue). However I was persistent and socialized him daily. He probably just needs some time. I think that walking him is a great idea as well as taking him outside. The change of environment may make him less protective/scared. Hope he warms up the bf soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My bambino (7 mon-1 year rescue) doesn't let me near him or approach when he's sitting in my husband's lap - snarls, growls, nips, ears back -- seeming very fearful. At all other times of the day, he's my dog -- happy to see me, I feed him, walk him, give him treats, etc. and he loves me. He often runs between my husband and me when we're sitting around in the evening, sitting with both of us. My husband can approach when I have little Foster, just not the other way around. Should I just continue approaching with treats in hand and work with him this way???

·
Registered
52 Posts
Another suggestion from someone who does rescues. Have the bf sit on the floor, treats about, and ignore the dog, not a sound or movement even when the dog comes and gets them. Make sure the bf is not wearing anything that even resembles the ex, like a hat or certain clothes. Also if necesary have the bf wear the mom's perfume (not all the time, just for the trust training)

Other things I have done is while sitting have the mom go over to the bf and say what a good doggie you are and pet the bf's arm. Lets the dog know the mom approves of this male in their home.

I have one rescue that will have nothing to do with anyone until I show them physically the new person is a good "doggie" and is welcome and is my friend too.

Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
seems strange he was fine with him for that long , i would say something has happened for him to change towards him , maybe he has accidentally stood on his paw or something like that .

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
thought i would add this aswell as it shows something so small can really impact on them , quite a few years ago we had a pit bull named sid , a friend who had never met him before barked at sid the first time he ever met him , from that day when that person would come over sid had to be put outside , sid really didnt like him and im sure if he had the chance he would have bitten him , dont ask me why he barked at him but i dont think he will be barking at any more dogs haha .

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have friends who do that.(Haven't let them around my baby.lol) I've called him on it before but he just says, "Its not mean, I'm talking to him in dog." If I where a dog I'd take it as a threat..

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
There are so many ways to train our dogs, it's hard to remember them all and match them up. I agree with river. . ."have the bf sit on the floor with treats about." Have some really good treats. My guess is that he will get curious about the treats and come to investigate. Then evenutually, the bf and put one in his hand (I always try to give treats from the "palm" of my open hand) less chance of having fingers bitten!! lol.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I have friends who do that.(Haven't let them around my baby.lol) I've called him on it before but he just says, "Its not mean, I'm talking to him in dog." If I where a dog I'd take it as a threat..
I know a two yr old that did that. Walked right up to a JRT that was sleeping and started barking. The JRT jumped up, and bit the boy so hard he had to have stitches in his arm. Can't believe they got rid of the dog when all it was doing was protecting itself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts