Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

We have a 7 year old male who we are looking for a new home for. We've had him since he was 8 weeks old, now with 2 young children and jobs that require a fair amount of time away we don't feel it's fair to him to be crated/boarded all the time.

I've tried reaching out to a few small dog rescues in the Atlanta area, but I can't get a response from anyone. I would appreciate any advice anyone might have to help us out.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Did you try the Atlanta Small Dog Rescue? I don't havethe number but you can find them online. They are ano kill shelter and have a good reputation.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
This just breaks my heart. He thinks he is part of your family...he HAS been for 7 years. If he could speak, he would say it was alright to stay home and wait for you to come home from work...I know you have love in your heart for him because you came here. You and your family are his EVERYTHING.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
at that age they really do just sleep all day while you are gone. they don't want much,
just to be near you :)
If you must be out of town, and Board him, could you possibly find a family/friend
who would take him in during those times you are away? sort of a dog-share...
there are people who cannot take on a dog full time who would love to share
a pet in this way.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
How can you bear to give a dog that has loved you and your fanmily for 7 yeasrs over to a rescue shelter, there must be some way you could keep him, if not why can't you find him a new home rather than give him over to a shelter. He is your dog he loves you, he trusts you to do the right thing for him. Please reconsider.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
It's so hard for even a rescue to place an older dog with all the puppies out there. Older dogs sleep alot do not require alot of care really unless they have health issues. I hope you can work something out to keep your baby. But if you must you can post her here on the Atlanta Chi rescue page. I wish I could help you out since I am in the Atlanta area but we just recently added a new one to our family already. — Georgia Chihuahua Rescue — ADOPTIONS — RescueMe.Org

·
Registered
580 Posts
Please reconsider!! 7 years is such a long time!! There's a lot of alternatives, like setting up a playpen for him to be in during the day...

Can you please post a picture of the chihuahua, maybe someone here in the area is willing to adopt!

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
:( how sad...
You've been given good advice by knowledgeable dog lovers, please take it to heart.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. We would much rather find a home for rather than a shelter, that is the last thing we want to do. I've reached out to a few no kill shelters in the area multiple times and have yet to receive a response.

Here is a picture of him, his name is Chandler.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
There must be more to the story... I think if you give more information it may
help Chandler find a loving home to live out the second half of his life. I hope
you have socialized him and he is able to make the adjustment.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Poor thing I'm glad your re homing him he deserves someone that makes him a priority not an option.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Oh my, what a CUTIE!!! I'd take him in a heartbeat if I lived closer!!! I still don't understand why you want to get rid of him, like everyone has said at this age they sleep all day when you're gone.
Is there perhaps something else going on, aggression, difficulty to housebreak? These are all things we can help with!

If you really do want to place him somewhere, please be careful where you place your chi, some people use them as bait dogs in dog fighting etc. Please check out the people before you place him!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There really isn't that much more to the story. We really don't think it's fair that he spends so much time crated and being boarded. He's in his crate from 7-6 every day, sometimes longer. He can't have free roam of the house, as he does like to mark his spots. This upcoming summer, we'll be gone most likely 2 weekends every month where he'll need to be boarded from Friday to Mondays.

When we are home with him at night, we don't spend any time with him as we are dealing with the kids. He deserves a family who can give him the attention he wants.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Unless there is an issue such as your chi is not house-trained or socialized (which my Lulu is not socialized at 4ys old and it would tramatize her to leave our home--I didn't know any better when I got her), could you check your local assisted living homes or nursing homes? Elderly people love pets and chis the age of yours love nothing more than to spend their days and nights sleeping with the ones they love.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
There really isn't that much more to the story. We really don't think it's fair that he spends so much time crated and being boarded. He's in his crate from 7-6 every day, sometimes longer. He can't have free roam of the house, as he does like to mark his spots. This upcoming summer, we'll be gone most likely 2 weekends every month where he'll need to be boarded from Friday to Mondays.

When we are home with him at night, we don't spend any time with him as we are dealing with the kids. He deserves a family who can give him the attention he wants.
Crating him for 11 hours a day is reprehensible! You could hire a dog walker to
come in midday or you can ask a friend. As it is right now, he is nothing more
than a prisoner.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts

I will ask some of the people I know and see if anyone who could give him a good home is interested. He's a pretty little dog. I live in Rome, GA, which is an hour and a half north of Atlanta. Just a few questions - Is he neutered? Up to date on shots and on heartworm preventative? How much does he weigh? Is he friendly with other dogs, new people, cats? Is he housebroken other than the marking? Will he walk on a leash?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts