Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.well I wanted to know if any of you could give me some tips on how to house break my puppy. When I first got her I trained her to use the pee pads (big mistake) well now that she's bigger they just stink up the apartment, so I wanted to trai her to go outside. Well I take her outside and the only time she will actually go potty outside is right as soon as I get her outta her cage in the morning. She will pee outdoors then, well I walk around with her and all she does is want to play out there so then I bring her in. Well she would run straight to the pad and go on there. So I would scold her so now she hasn't been going on the pad she has been going in on the carpet and she hides and does this. So now I have been trying to put her in her cage if she does not go potty outside but all she does is scream. I feel bad but she has ruined my carpet and I don't know what else to try. Also I have noticed that she got used to the freedom of the pads so she doesn't just go pee once in the morning or poop once she poops like 2 or 3 times and pees twice! And I take her out to try to accomidate that and all she does is hold it til we are inside!! I'm sooo frustrated!!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
`

Try a little tough love, we started 're-training' my girls to use litter instead of potty pads yesterday and so far, going well. Here's my thread http://www.chihuahua-people.com/members-chi-diarys/56440-zoey-ziva-going-back-basics.html Ziva is screaming a little in her crate so she gets told "Uh Uh" or crate covered with a blanket. They are only get 'free' time if they poop & pee or I know they should only have to pee (haven't eaten). They are going to have to 'earn' their independance. If I put them in their potty area and they don't go, then back into their crates they go for 15 minutes. I am taking them out at least every hour for now, and once or twice during the night. We plan on doing this for 2 weeks, then starting to increase the time between potty visits, and hopefully gradually take the litter box out of the box it's in (to keep them in it) and they will use it instead of potty pads, blankets, beds, carpet, & bath rugs.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I would try to take her out once you get up and do it ever 2 to 3 hours stay out their until she pottys and give her a kiss or treat tell her good girl make a big deal.any time she starts moving from getting up take her out and let her potty. yes some times it will take a few but she will understand once she potty that she can get to come in side. keep the pee pads down lease she goes on those. i change my pee pad ever day. i even clean out my litter box daily also. i also live in apartment and i hate smells so i clean up after them. Pee pad are good if the weather is so bad that they dont go out side. so i love having the litter box and pee pads. I dont know where you live or the weather but keep that in mind also. I also know some dog food has indoor kind where they dont poop as much and it dont stink much...but you may want to look around...how old is your little one? at about a year old i cut back their food and pick it up about 6pm my time in oregon(US) and they get back in the morning after they potty out side. i start this a little younger on some about 8 months old i free feed mine from 8 months until 12 months about.. it also depends on their size too. if my other got to free feed they would be huge...I truly hope she will catch on but i would just change the pee pad more and take her out every 2 to 3 hours and stay out their...good luck

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hello...
First thing you need to know/remember is Chihuahua's are Very
delicate minded/sensitive little creatures and they do NOt respond
well to negative behavior from the owner. The last thing you want
to do is scold a Chi. May sound silly, but my years of experience
with them has made a believer out of me on that.
They take Alot of Patience/Love/Soft touch/Praise/Postive reinforcement.

Chi's. also don't take well to changes. You are trying to break her
from something you taught her, she is prob. confused right now.
So its not her fault. Keep it simple with a dog... for they are
simple creatures.

Mine was strictly inside potty dog. (Potty Pads). At one time,
yeah, they can get to be smelly and have to change them
frequently. I used the DEPENDS for people. They are larger, do much
better than the doggy pads. Now mine goes outdoors to potty, no
longer inside potty dog.

All I can say is, take her outdoors first thing early morning, as dogs
have small bladders and can't hold it like people can.
Take her outdoors right after feedings.
Take her outdoors right after any play time.
Take her outdoors few times inbetween during the day.
Just take her outdoors Often.
When she does potty outdoors, praise her/give a treat.
She should eventually get the hang of it... :)
Does take alot of patience. Some dogs catch onto it quick/some
don't. I think it takes Along time
for them to get pottying indoors out of there minds after being
an inside potty dog for along time, and that makes since too.
Also, may help if you have an area that is hard flooring instead
of carpet to enclose her in with a baby/pet gate till she gets the
hang of things so your carpet doesn't get ruined.
Blessings...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much everyone for your tips! Bella is 6 months old she weights around 6-7 lbs. I love her but I am just so frustrated! I was wondering what do you guys recommend outdoors or litter training? I will continue to take her out frequently and use some of your tips!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Where I live it gets pretty darn cold in the winter, with 2-3 feet of snow most of the winter sometimes, I tried outside training Zoey when she was younger and she absolutely REFUSED to go in the snow/cold/rain, which is why I started with the potty pad training, as well as she is on steroids so has to pee often. So for us it was more practical to indoor train to potty pads (which we are now re-training for litter), I would say it depends, maybe next spring, after they are reliable with the litter, I am going to train them outside as well as that option is always nice, then have the litter for backup and winter cold days.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Both my girls are litter trained but also go outside when the weather is good. Both are great, it gives you the option when you go visiting or traveling that you don't have to bring a litter box or pee pad.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just got Firge about three months ago. I previously had poodles so I know nothing about Chis except that I love them. When you say litter box, does that mean you put the litter down and they use is like a cat does? I can't imagine. I am now using the pee pads. Thanks, Martha

·
Registered
323 Posts
I just got Firge about three months ago. I previously had poodles so I know nothing about Chis except that I love them. When you say litter box, does that mean you put the litter down and they use is like a cat does? I can't imagine. I am now using the pee pads. Thanks, Martha
You never use clay litter in dog litter box...I use yesterday meow...But i would start with pee pad in the box first and add litter to it...good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts