Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been a long time since I've posted to this forum, and a lot of things have happened in the past few years. One of which is that the recession cost me my job a while back. I have a new one, but the hours are much, much longer. I'm gone 12 hours or more some nights.

As for what I do with the girls, they have the entire kitchen to themselves, complete with beds, pads, food, toys, etc...

However, they're not adjusting well. Whenever I have a few late nights, what ends up happening is a round or horrible gastric upset: diarrhea (sometimes with blood in it). It's not healthy. The littlest one (Tilly) especially is suffering. She bonds very, very closely...in the past 5 years, there is not a single person, other than myself, that she will approach or willingly allow to per her...including my mother. While Tilly loves her sister, Pearl, she even begrudges the attention I give her and will work herself into horrible bouts of reverse sneezing/wheezing b/c of it.

I love her, but I think she needs a home where she can be the center of attention. As she is so very small boned (around 3 pounds but all legs and head), she would need a home with no children or very well behaved children who have experience with smaller animals. Ideally (as she is put off by lots of noise and goings-on), she could be placed with a retiree who could just spend all their time lavishing attention on her. I've tried contacting rescue groups about this situation. Some say they're full. Others simply try to encourage me to keep them and tell me that it's o.k. so long as they have access to food and such. Well, it's not o.k. for me. Their quality of life is poor like this, and it's fraying my nerves. Yes, I try and make it up to them when I come home, but a lot of nights I'm dead tired. Weekends are just as busy with catching up on work and attending to all the house things that were neglected during the week. The time I spend cuddling, petting, and walking on Sat/Sun don't make up for the rest of the week either, as the diarrhea and such continue.

I'm just at the end of my rope as to ideas here. They're such pretty little girls. Black and tan appleheads. I put this here b/c it deals with rehoming and chose this forum as I know how much you all love your chi babies. Any help as to rescue organizations, potential adopters, or even just suggestions to help them acclimate would be deeply appreciated.

I am located in South Georgia. Though they have been raised together, I do not believe they have to be adopted together. In fact, I think Tilly would benefit from being the one and only dog in the household. Both are healthy and up-to-date on shots (though I do not vaccinate yearly except for rabies...the other shots are on a 3 year rotation) and spayed. Both are pad trained and come with a plethora of items such as pads, pad mats, Pack-N-Play, etc... I do need to disclose that Pearl has had prior surgery to fix a badly botched patella correction in one of her legs. Everything is fine, but I didn't want anyone to feel I held any info back.

Here's a picture of the girls. The cream chi is Boo, my senior chihuahua...he's perfectly chill and content with the situation (being 15 this year, he pretty much just sleeps all day anyway), and I have no intentions of rehoming him.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
awww, your girls are so beautiful. i hope you can come up with a good solution/ to find them a good home. i wish i could take them. if i didn't already have 4 little dogs, i would love to have them !! even if someone is not within driving distance... its worth a plane trip to get them. i would if i didn't have 4. i'm at my limit now.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Oh they are beautiful, and I'm so sorry you are going through this. It sounds like it was not a decision you came to lightly. I would love to help you and would have no problem traveling to South Georgia, but I don't think my home situation would be one Tilly would be comfortable in with two other dogs, a small grandchild over almost everyday, and family in and out quite a bit. I'm also not sure how Lulu would take to Pearl. Lulu is not the friendliest--not aggressive, but not friendly with other dogs.

Please keep us posted on how things go, and I will keep my ears open for something that may work.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
I'm so glad you will be able to keep one. I am looking for a second chi, but won't be in Georgia until this summer. (we're in MD) We only have one chi and he has a great life with us (we got him a year ago this week), but we think he would be happier with a BFF. I will keep watching for your posts.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
What a shame I am in Greece, I would take her in a heartbeat. My house is quiet. I have just Kalisee and my daughter who is almost 14 now and great with pets. I work from home (also a victim of the recession) so your girl(s) would never be alone. And just as I was starting to think about another chi too...

I know your stressed enough with the 12 hour shifts, I can only imagine how tired with no strength to deal with the babies. I do hope you find someone..if you ever find a way to send her to Greece, I will gladly take her in.. I would think that is wicked hard though.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
How big is Pearl? (I'm asking because don't want a chi larger than Mickey because he's submissive). Hubby wants another brindle but I love all colors. He's home all the time now, but hopefully will go back to work in the fall, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm a teacher and work close by, so I'm only gone from 6:30am 'till 3:30. Don't know if this is too long for you to be comfortable with or not. In 2 years I retire and will be home all day. In the mean time I'm off summers and we only do dog friendly vacations.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't know about there, but I know here there are rescues that help with type specific dogs. your little ones are absolutely adorable, and I'm sure that should you contact the local shelter they could give you some information about local rescues that may help with the girls. If you were from around here, California, I'd totally take one of the girls in I have room for ONE more. Good luck, They are adorable and believe it or not have that going for them.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just adopted my chi from a rescue. Actually I was only supposed to be fostering but that lasted about a minute.
I'm sure there are some rescues in your area that can help?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts