Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been mulling over the idea of getting a "play buddy" for my Tiny because there's just nothing he can play with - even a 2.5 kg Chi just steamrolls him. He tries to get in amongst it but just can't do it.

So, the breeder of my 2 boys has a Tiny girl she said I can buy. She's 10 weeks old (don't know what she weighs, but this woman has been breeding for 30 years and says she's definitely going to be a Tiny like my boy that she bred).

I had my heart set on a Chocolate, but the reality of getting a Chocolate Tri Colour in a teeny weeny body, well it's just not going to happen in this country and, if by some miracle one was born and I got to the front of the queue, I'll have to pay around $1.6k for something I won't be allowed to show or breed with, and that's way too many $'s.

This little girl is going to cost $600. I've haven't committed to get her yet, I wanted to ask you ladies your opinion on her before I do. Please be as critical as you possibly can be, I won't be offended in the least. Her muzzle looks a little long for my tastes but, meh, it's much shorter than my other girl "play buddy" I got for Chiko. Looks are not at all important in this case, it's size, personality & suitability for my little Ollie.

The other option is that there MAY be a bitch available from the breeder of Sarah's new Winston. She's the best breeder in the whole of Oz, so her pups rightfully command a very good price, a lot more than I can afford to spend for a pet (more than my other 3 all put together). However she does look gorgeous (top right hand corner of the 3 pictured Sarah) but we don't even know what the breeder is going to decide yet as there's someone else from overseas considering her, the breeder is just not quite decided yet.

So, what do you all think of this wee girl @ $600 .... the last 2 pics are of Mum & Dad (he's just gorgeous).

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
She is gorgeous! I love her fuzzy little ears. I can see her fitting in with your pack quite nicely. oh how I wish I could add a third one!

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Um Dee I can be critical and make fun of you over your Christmas thing but when you post a photo of an adoreable puppy all criticism goes out the window. The awes and ohs and wanting to smell the puppy breath is all I can think of. I just want to snuggle and kiss her she is too cute!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I agree with you that her muzzle is a tad long for my taste, but she has such a precious face. She looks a lot like a LC Chi that was tempting me before I found Gemma. I only didn't go with her because I was set on a SC. I think this puppy's parents are nice, especially the dad. He is just gorgeous.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
awww, this is a surprise :) . she is precious, i love her ! If she's going to be around the same size as your tiny boy than that's perfect !!

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
She does seem to have a bit long of a muzzle, but she overall seems very pretty. I would find out what she weighs, though, just for your own knowledge... If she seems like she'd be a good match, I wouldn't let her muzzle stop you. She is a cutie, that's for sure. If she ends up half as beautiful as her dad, she'll be a stunner. I say go for it :)

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Smiles, you girls are hopeless, absolutely hopeless, AND the biggest, rottenest, naughtiest enablers on the planet! It's to balance up the couplers when out and about, remember :)

I KNOW she's cute, ALL puppies are cute. BUT I wanted your Chi wisdom and experience to tell me if there's any obvious defects (besides that looooong nose - all the better to smell me with). C'mon some of you showies, therefore conformation experts, hit me with your wisdom stick pleeeeeeeease. If I don't have to, I really don't want to spend another $1,000 or more just to get a shorter snout :)

Now, I can only explain this in horse language because I can't remember all the doggie terminology but, to me, it looks like her, mum & dad all lean back severely on the pasterns ... that the joint above their feet, or where a horse's hoof would be. I looked at my 2 from this same breeder and they're the same - is this a conformation fault? Haven't looked at my girl from another breeder because she's still asleep.

Oh, NONE of my Chi's tails go up and over their backs either, at best they stick straight up in the air at 90 degree angles to their butt but only when they're super happy & alert, at all other times they more or less stick straight out from their butt, but that's no biggie for me. Their tails don't appear to be lowset to my eye, they just don't do what other Chi's seem to do.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Her snout is small compared to my Gonzo Sonny

Does that help?
LOL yes, it helps. Actually looking at the 2 babies I already got from this lovely lady, their snouts are sweet and petite and, although slightly, ever so slightly, longer than I'd desire, at least their tiny mouths don't/won't have huge teeth or palate issues like some of the shorter nosed models.

For example I'm just browsing a new website I found & came across this dog - now, to my mind, that whole head/nose, whilst I appreciate it's the perfect stop bla, bla, bla, something about it just looks totally DEFORMED to me, but, hey, I'm just a bushy without a clue. Y'all will probably say that's the perfect head lol. Pass mouse over head to enlarge automatically: Handi Drink,

C'mon in here Sarah, need your Aussie opinion 'coz you & I both know that short snouts in Australia are very, very thin on the ground - most of the Chi's we have over here have alligator length snouts, without a word of a lie.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Yeah I am not a fan of that website photo either. I will take my Gonzo Sonny. His face reminds me of a german shepherd puppy! ;) it is honestly about what you like Dee. I don't see any reason for her to have any health issue. She is just adorable

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Have to agree with you Aussielass , our chi's here seem to have longer snouts , i think she is a gorgeous little girl and have to say her snout is smaller than what i have seen in some reg breeders chi's , $600 is a really good price :) , shame you weren't closer to me as i know a little boy that is charting to be 1.5kg , he is just over 600grams at a day off 9weeks

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
A Chi like that, without any papers, would cost around 1.500$ here at least,
for two reasons, she's tiny and she's a long coat. I don't think you are getting
ripped off money wise for a pet quality Chi. As for the muzzle, I'm not a pro, but
from my experience a slightly longer muzzle equals less problems with teeth. If
you trust that this breeder has good motives and if you do not care much for
"standard perfection" then go ahead and make this baby a lucky dog! Good luck
my friend!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Bella, yep, we're definitely the "Land of the Long Nose" and you're right, I've been looking at all the reg'd breeders websites and there's rarely a short nose to be found, except for Wachowa which is the home of the champs of champs results wise, and also the breeder of Sarah's Winston.

I'm thinking Sarah's taken a wide berth around this thread because pup isn't to her taste, which is fine - I must admit, I was really disappointed when I first opened pics of her but since staring at her non-stop for endless hours, I have to say, I'm only a bee's willy from ringing them and saying, "Mine!!!!"

I know & trust the people now, I have 2 existing temperaments to go by and they're wonderful, both of their patellas are fantastic according to 2 different vets, so I'd be silly not to go for her I do believe.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Sorry I've been slack getting on to this one!

I think she will end up looking similar to my Chloe, same angle but maybe a little shorter

This was her profile at around the same age - see the gentle slope of her forehead into her muzle, head is still quite round and domed though

And this is her as an adult

Now check out how short Winston's muzzle is - SHORT! It's like half the length of his forehead. i haven't seen amy here with a muzzle anywhere near as short except from the other top 1 or 2 show kennels and they will charge you the same $$$

That blue fawn girl is beautiful. Winnie's breeder's puppies are small and stocky. I believe the sire is the Japanese imported dog so check out his body type, very cobby. Although they're not related Winnie is like that too. She estimates about the 2kg to 2.5kg mark for Winnie but solid rather than tall or long - not sure if you think that would be suitable for Ollie? She might bowl him over. Winnie is a bruiser who will take toys off Axle but that's his personality as well as his size. The breeder let me know Winnie was a little firecracker but that's what I wanted to go with two adult dogs. You need a Chloe personality, she sits on my lap while the others play fetch, she joins in sometimes but she's not going to push someone else out of the way to get the toy but she's the one the others want to snuggle up next to. I would definitely go for the personality first rather than the look or size. i would have no problem letting Chloe play with a dog helf her size because she is so gentle.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
And before you ask no i'm not sending you Chloe! She is my little chocolate muffin - ALL MINE!!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts