Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there. I am looking at buying a puppy that is 12 weeks old weighs just a tad over 1lb. How do you figure out what he will weigh as an adult? Anyone able to help me? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I would look at the chart of estimated chi weights...take the weight at birth projected adult weight and the weight at 8 weeks projected adult weight and average the two......just my idea. It seems to be a good indicator.

This pup sounds like he is very small.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm not sure about this chart. Bandit was 1.1 pounds at 11 weeks which would put him between 2.5 and 3 lbs. At 20 weeks he was 4 lbs. which puts him at 5.5 lbs full grown.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I was on about taking two weight milestones (welped and weaned--so birth and 8 weeks and average it....it give a better guide than just one reference point....any of it isjust that a reference point. The breeder had the best estimate but she goes by many factors. You breeders have experince with the line and know more than the chart ;)

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Yeah, it's not so accurate. Spot on for one of mine but the other one has just jumped all over that chart. 1lb at 12 weeks is very tiny. I don't think I would personally be comfortable with such a small pup. At 12 weeks they are zooming all over the place (when they're not sleeping) and you would have to watch it like a hawk to make sure it didn't hurt its self.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
If this puppy truly is one pound at 12 weeks, it is a very very small chi. I would guess it would top out at 3-3.5 pounds as an adult. Having said that .... do you know this is an accurate weight? I have seen people with pups weighing at least 3 pounds say they are one pound or even LESS. ;) Unless you have SEEN the puppy on an accurate scale then you don't really know. People's perception of size is all over the place.

Example... was walking Brody the other day. Met a lady with a chi twice his size. We were talking and she asked what he weighed. I said 5 pounds, maybe a little more. She gasped and said HER dog only weighed THREE POUNDS. I wish I'd taken a picture. Her dog was literally 10 pounds. It just was hilarious how she misinterpreted size, even when compared to another dog half her dogs size.

I have seen many unscupulous (or maybe just naiive) breeders trying to sell puppies and posting unrealistic weights of 1 pound at 12 weeks. It's really obvious the dog weighs much more than that and will be an average or even bigger sized chi as an adult. But people will do what they can to sell puppies. (Not saying your breeder was doing this - just an example - and if weight/size if really important to you, then ask for a picture of the puppy on a scale. And hope the breeder hasn't zeroed it out at a negative so the dog weighs less.. HA! I've seen it happen!!) ;)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yeah, it's not so accurate. Spot on for one of mine but the other one has just jumped all over that chart. 1lb at 12 weeks is very tiny. I don't think I would personally be comfortable with such a small pup. At 12 weeks they are zooming all over the place (when they're not sleeping) and you would have to watch it like a hawk to make sure it didn't hurt its self.
mine weighed 1.2 lbs an 12 weeks, yes she was tiny, im guessing she was the smallest of the litter, but she was healthy and jumping all over the place, she shes 20 weeks now and still strong, just a little skinny but im working on it :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts