Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keemora will turn 14 on the 24th. She has had the infamous chihuahua cough for about two years. Around 9 months ago, they started her on salix and benazapril. After a couple months the cough subsided.

About two months ago Keemora’s 12 year old sister Poe started having similar issues. Mostly breathing problems causing her to be tired all the time. They put her on salix and she bounced back fairly quickly.

after about a month they told us to take both of them off salix, as it’s hard on the liver.

both immediately started having the same issues they had prior and we decided to put them back on salix. Poe has improved and Keemora is not doing well.

is there anything else we can do to help our little ones?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Concentrated Lily from a Holistic vet worked wonders for us
thank you. I will try and get ahold of them tomorrow. None of the vets around here are taking new pets. I wonder if they will sell us some anyway. The vet we use is not holistic.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
I’ve had about 30 chihuahuas, I’ve never heard of an infamous chihuahua cough. Could you explain what it looks like?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve had about 30 chihuahuas, I’ve never heard of an infamous chihuahua cough. Could you explain what it looks like?
sounds like a goose

if you check YouTube there are a bunch of videos. One of my little girls (Daddy’s Girl) died a couple years ago.

the main issue is the collapsed trachea. Limiting oxygen and causing them to get worn out fast.
Keemora has conjestive heart failure (at least they are saying she does). The salix pulls the fluid off the heart and lungs, ultimately reducing the cough.

poe also had a little bout last summer and collapsed. They said it was a seizure, I’m not convinced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts