Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so, yesterday, we ended up bringing home Bryco (lol, I know, ya'll were 40/60 on that name...). He is bitty bitty at 10 weeks old. 18 ounces. He is hopefully for show. The people have been breeding and showing their own dogs for 14 years and seem to know what they've got when they've got it. Anyway, I realize 10 weeks is no guarantee for show, but I figure its worth a try. I will post pictures later today. They stacked him on the table for me, showed me his bite, showed me both parents, had me feel them over, showed me their health certs etc. The dad is a champion, momma's not.

Anyway, from when we picked him up to when we got him home, it was about 12 hours. We tried *everything* to get him to eat with no luck. So I had nutrical and kept putting it on his tongue and gums but it really didn't do any good at all. I also bought a can of puppy goat's milk and got him to drink a tiny bit of that, but he really wasn't having any of that. He drank plenty of water though, which was weird but I'm glad he did.

When we got home and put him on the floor...only to basically see him just flop around. He was clearly disoriented and a little listless. I guess I hadn't been giving him enough nutrical. Anyway, we dosed him up pretty good with that and tried to get him to eat again but he just stared at it. I seriously was contemplating driving another hour to Farmington so we could go to an emergency vet but we decided to try forcefeeding him instead. We mashed up his kibble and some wet food and water and nutrical really good and put it in a syringe and forced him to eat it :( poor little guy. But within 15 minutes he started acting better. We got him to eat about 2 tsp this way and decided letting him rest was in order. I watched him for about 1/2 hour to make sure the food stayed down.

I got up every two hours to get him to eat about a teaspoon the same way and also a big glob of nutrical. This morning he ate himself, YAY, but he didn't seem interested in the kibble. He is moving much much better now and his bm this morning was much more solid (last night he had the ickest loose poo ever).

But, I'm just wondering, what should I do? we are leaving food available for him at all times and we are putting karo in his water, but anyone have any idea how much should be in there? He's running around playing now and chewing on everything and exploring. All our other dogs are behaving themselves. I guess I'm a little worried because I have never had one this young thats this small...?? How long should I supplement him with nutrical?

He also seems to be sneezing a lot. No idea whats up with that? :-( My poor lil baby has been through quite the trauma! If I didn't have his AKC litter # and his health records, I would swear he was younger than 10 weeks cuz he's so little and so uncoordinated but I'm sure some of thats because he was mostly kept in a pen with momma and sibs. (He was fully weaned at 7 weeks but momma stayed in pen next to them and will until they're 12 weeks).

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Use a pea sized glob of NC in the morning, mid-day, and at night before bed. But.... he HAS to eat, or it will do no good. If you have to force feed him, do so. It's crucial. If not, and I don't mean to sound graphic, but he can go into a coma and die. So be consistent. Feed him 4 small meals a day, forcing if you have too. Put some honey in his drinking water. Use caned food for now so that he gets enough. If there are no underlying medical issues, this will keep him going. :) Best wishes, and Congrats!!! :)

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Keona had this happen i tried all foods with no luck , in the end i force feed her ,i would put about half a teaspoon in her mouth than hold it closed ,i would do this until i could feel her tummy get full after doing this for a few days just pushing her face into it worked .

i also bought a bag of glucose from the chemist , i wet my finger than dip it into the glucose than wipe it in her mouth :) the glucose will also make them want to eat :)

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Use the NC until he hits 2 lbs. :) Probably about 16 weeks old. I always put about 1 tsp. of honey in their water. The bowl holds about 12/14 oz. of water. He won't drink it all, but it's there. :)

He may sneeze a lot because he is so close to the ground. It makes them pick up lots of dust and stuff. Not saying your house is dusty, just saying from experience. :wink:

He should be pretty coordinated by now though. Even at that size. All of mine were going head strong at that age, so keep a watch for development. :)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will definitely keep an eye on him. He's more and more coordinated as the morning goes on, but I can tell he's a little iffy. I'll add a bit more karo to his water as I don't have any honey ATM...he ate some more a bit ago which made me happy. He's been on Eukanuba (YUCK) and I am switching him already. I don't want that stuff in my house :p Already this AM his stools were more solid than his littermates were.

I really can't tell, but I think they may have been born early or I don't even know. He and his brother are very small. They have the teeth of a 10 week old but I feel like that's about it! His molera also will likely never close as neither of his parents have a closed molera hehe.

He is chewing on his first bullystick quite happily.

Question...should I free feed or should I just consistently feed him every three hours and forcefeed at that time if necessary?

All I can say is I'm glad I knew what to do yesterday and I'm glad I forcefed him even though I felt bad doing it lol. I'll do it again if I need to but poor lil buddy. The fact that he ate willingly on his own this morning along with the other dogs was good, for sure.

·
Registered
32 Posts
When I had tinies, my vet said do not switch the food. He said to wait a few months. Switching the food can cause their little bodies too much stress. I would free feed and force feed as needed. My vet said using the karo syrup is a good idea but I don't remember how much, its been years ago. I would give the nutrical everyday for the first 6 months. They can get hypoglycemic attacks for 6 months and sometimes longer. Also, if you go anywhere make sure you take the nutrical with you. I forgot mine at home once and I almost lost my dog. Good luck and I hope he grows soon.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Kristi firstly congrats he's cute and so glad the stains aren't as bad!!

Its up to you if you free feed or not.. personally for routine and so you know how much he's taking i'd probably feed him every few hours yourself and go from there. He will get there and is he is only Dinky.

He'll settle in once he realises he's got a lovely home he'll be fine, give it a couple of days.. I wanna see him next to trigger!!!!

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I would schedule feed. You need to know what he is eating. I'd also get a scale. That will help you keep an eye on things too. If you notice he isn't gaining consistently, even if it's just 1 oz. a week, up his food. With mine, that was the tale tale sign of problems ahead if there was no weight gain. It never failed me. :wink: I also would not do a food switch. Too young, too small. If you do, go reallllllllll slow. Like over the course of 2 weeks. I would not use the NC until he is 6 months old unless you have too. They need to get their energy and nourishment from the food. Keep it on hand at all times, but the key to their sugar is their food. Regular meals, eating well, consistent weight gain, you are good to go. You don't want him to become dependent on the NC. :wink: It spikes their sugars briefly, but does not regulate them.

I wouldn’t worry about the open molera, all of mine have open moleras still to this day.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I thought I would offer something that worked for us with two pups who came to us with no interest in eating on their own and were tinies. I realize this may be unacceptable for your situation.. and that is fine.. In fact, I try very hard not to offer advice to others as it isn't always recieved well. lol

Rio was 9 ounces when he came and Bandy was 8 ounces when he arrived to our home. We had previously nearly lost a pup to hypoglocemia (she had to be rushed to the emergency vet for under the skin injections), so we now take a very proactive approach to the situation.

We substitued "pedialite, unflavored" (used for human babies) for their drinking water.
Nutrical was put in the roof of the mouth 4 times a day. Being in the roof of the mouth, what is not swallowed is absorbed.
I boiled a small piece of chicken which was finely chopped and mixed with crushed kibble and then added enough of the chicken broth to mix them well. This was fed with a "baby's spoon", the small plastic kind that allowed me to get the food into the tiny mouth well. The aroma of the chicken and broth seemed to encourage self feeding. This was given 3 times daily.

With 48 hours, both were eating better, but we still continue with the Nutrical and pedialite.. Rio passed away last year at age 13, and little Bandy will be 4 on June the 8th..

Sending up prayers for your little boy. Blessings, Deb

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I thought I would offer something that worked for us with two pups who came to us with no interest in eating on their own and were tinies. I realize this may be unacceptable for your situation.. and that is fine.. In fact, I try very hard not to offer advice to others as it isn't always recieved well. lol
Deb, that is what is so great about having this Chi forum. Everyone's advice is so helpful. You should always offer what worked for you. Sometime what helps one, doesn't the other. So having more things to work with is always better for the OP. :)

I used my pinky finger to feed my guys at times. Open the hatch, shove it in. :lol: Not very pleasant for them, but it worked. :) Sometime those wee boogers can be stubborn. :lol: I never had much luck with those syringes. It would shoot food all over the place. :lol:

NC is a staple here at my house. I wouldn't be without it with a tiny. It can help greatly in tough times.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Rio was 9 ounces when he came and Bandy was 8 ounces when he arrived to our home. We had previously nearly lost a pup to hypoglocemia (she had to be rushed to the emergency vet for under the skin injections), so we now take a very proactive approach to the situation.

We substitued "pedialite, unflavored" (used for human babies) for their drinking water.
Nutrical was put in the roof of the mouth 4 times a day. Being in the roof of the mouth, what is not swallowed is absorbed.
I boiled a small piece of chicken which was finely chopped and mixed with crushed kibble and then added enough of the chicken broth to mix them well. This was fed with a "baby's spoon", the small plastic kind that allowed me to get the food into the tiny mouth well. The aroma of the chicken and broth seemed to encourage self feeding. This was given 3 times daily.

With 48 hours, both were eating better, but we still continue with the Nutrical and pedialite.. Rio passed away last year at age 13, and little Bandy will be 4 on June the 8th..

Sending up prayers for your little boy. Blessings, Deb
I might give this a try. I haaaate the Eukanuba but everyone seems to think to hold off on a switch. I do think I will still mix in 2 crushed up Innova puppy kibbles with the Eukanuba. So far he is still doing much better and is eating his lunch now =) I have been crushing up the kibble. He doesn't seem to like the bigger pieces and I'm not going to try to fight him on that lol, not till he is stable and used to his new home.

He is SO sweet. After he eats and potties, I will take pictures. He's beautiful =)

I know he's not actually a "tiny" but he is the smallest puppy I've ever had. She normally holds them til 12 weeks but offered him to me at 10 weeks because I have prior chi experience. He is way sweet and I love him. :hello1:

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Kristi, if you feel comfy with the food switch, I would do it. When I offer advice, I hope it never comes off like I'm saying there is no other way. We used other things as well. Baby food, boiled chicken as Deb mentioned, low sodium chicken broth, etc. So whatever you think will work, try it. :) You just don't want him with diarrhea this young, this small. Like Deb mentioned with one of her babies, Chance had to have injections less than 24 hours after I brought him home because of Hypoglycemia and dehydration. It's a very touchy situation. Chance was 8 oz. when he came home as well. So when you are dealing with that size, you do what works. You are a great Chi Mom, and I know he will be fine under your care. :)

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I second that one T.. let's see pics of this little guy!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will get pictures up soon, I promise =) He is having a nap after his lunch, which he ate like it was going out of style, so that made me feel good. I was really worried when he wasn't eating yesterday because the breeder made it clear that he and his brother are eaters and that if they aren't eating, something's wrong.

Our other dogs have been very nice so far, even trying to get him to play but he starts and then isn't sure what to do. he's been dragging little toys all over the room all day =)

I definitely will get some baby food too, and need to broil more chicken for the others anyway as its what we use for high value treats =) I also will see if I can find some organic no or very low sodium broth.

TLI I appreciate your advice as I know what you're talking about. I just noticed that NONE of the pups had solid stools yesterday and I have a theory on it. I honestly don't think this breeder feeds the pups Eukanuba and certainly doesn't feed his adult dogs it as they had giant bags of Innova in their more kennelish part of the home (ha!) that I don't think I was supposed to see, but I am guessing over the last week they switched the pups over as they can get $$ for endorsing it. Personally I'd never do that, but I really don't think its what these guys are used to. That might be thinking wayyyy too much on my part, but this guy and his wife are BONKERS about their dogs and I just really don't think they'd feed Eukanuba.

LOL its funny, I really thought getting a chi at 8 weeks was fine. But that was because Trigger was a big strapping boy. For him, it really was fine. But for this little guy, I'm glad I didn't get him even a day before 10 weeks. She always makes them wait to go until they are a pound, no matter what. I couldn't IMAGINE 8 or 9 ounces. Yikes! Right now Bryco (who we seem to just call 'buddy' lol) is charting at under 3 lbs which means I expect him to be around 3.5-4 lbs as an adult. Momma was 4 lbs, Dad was under 3. They were stunning dogs, and I could hardly believe momma popped out puppies at all!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
just asking have you taking him to your vet yet? I know in my contract you have a couple days to do so or more if a holiday, I am wondering if maybe hydro because of
flopping and the things you said. Bad part of tinies is you get a bigger vet bill =(
low blood sugar, hydro, fragile, jaw problems and a few other things. some don't have any problems at all and others more than you would expect, I think you did the right stuff to keep him alive. but I would take him in to be on the safe side. IMO

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
just asking have you taking him to your vet yet? I know in my contract you have a couple days to do so or more if a holiday, I am wondering if maybe hydro because of
flopping and the things you said. Bad part of tinies is you get a bigger vet bill =(
low blood sugar, hydro, fragile, jaw problems and a few other things. some don't have any problems at all and others more than you would expect, I think you did the right stuff to keep him alive. but I would take him in to be on the safe side. IMO
I'm sure he's not hydro, he doesn't have any symptoms of it, and the sugars / forcefeeding bounced him right back. He was vet checked a week ago and cleared w/ flying colors and I have 3 business days to have my vet take a look too, and am planning to tomorrow =) I think he'll be ok though, he's been fine all day. Just 12 hours without eating a thing is a longgggg time for a lil buddy!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I'm sure he's not hydro, he doesn't have any symptoms of it, and the sugars / forcefeeding bounced him right back. He was vet checked a week ago and cleared w/ flying colors and I have 3 business days to have my vet take a look too, and am planning to tomorrow =) I think he'll be ok though, he's been fine all day. Just 12 hours without eating a thing is a longgggg time for a lil buddy!
yes I would think 12 hrs no food wouldn't make my tummy feel well either and most likely needed the NC. I saw your new post with pics he is def not hydro just the way you describe how he was acting gave me the question to ask. Glad he is doing great today and all is well Congrats again!!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts