Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had him to the vet about three weeks ago, he had a fever the vet gave me a course of antibiotics, said he did n't know why he had a fever. no blood work done. I finished the meds. I took him to the vet because when I was leaving for work and gave him my usual good by and patted him on the rump he snapped at me and also refused his food. Very unusual for him. Now fast forward, he is licking his penis all the time, there is no dribbling and he doesn't seem to be peeing any more than usual. He has plenty of energy and is running all over the house, playing with his toys going on walks, there is no reddness, rash or swelling, and he is not aroused. He is eating and drinking just fine. What to you think it could be?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Urinary tract infection?

Maybe a hair got caught in his sheath and it's irritating him? (More common in longhairs).

Sorry I don't have any better ideas. The not wanting to eat and snapping at you would certainly be a concern.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Maybe it's not penis related at all, maybe something hurts, who knows.
Could be from stress as well.
Has anything changed in your household, routine, his activity level?

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
If he is still licking, then I think a vet visit is in order. At 6 months maybe he has discovered his testosterone? Are you going to neuter him? Just wondering. Sue

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, he has completely stopped licking himself, nothing last night or this morning, so I'm not sure what's going on. When he snapped at me I took him the vet, that's when he had the fever and they gave him anitibiotics. I'm not trying to be diffcult, but based on some of the responses, I'm wondering if you guys really even read my post. Oh well, he seems fine now. I was just trying to find out if anyone had any other ideas or similar experiences. Thanks

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I can totally understand your frustration! It is sooo aggrevating when our chi's aren't acting right & nobody seems to have the answers. I would just keep a close eye on him. If the fever comes back, there is something definitely going on. If he starts licking his private again, more than usual, I would probably have a urinalysis done to check for infection. Chis can go through mood swings just like people sometimes. He may not have been feeling well that day & didn't want to be bothered. Try not to be down as your chi can pick up on you being worried & frustrated. Hope he gets back to his normal self soon.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Well, he has completely stopped licking himself, nothing last night or this morning, so I'm not sure what's going on. When he snapped at me I took him the vet, that's when he had the fever and they gave him anitibiotics. I'm not trying to be diffcult, but based on some of the responses, I'm wondering if you guys really even read my post. Oh well, he seems fine now. I was just trying to find out if anyone had any other ideas or similar experiences. Thanks

I did read your post, twice actually.
I asked if anything changed in your household, to see if this could be stress
related. I asked if his activity level changed for the same reason. You
mentioned that he is running all over the house, but you did not mention if
this is his normal behavior. Some dogs run around from boredom when they
are not exercised sufficiently, others just run for fun with their doggy brothers
, sisters, etc. Many behavior problems stem from stress and boredom, but in
your case him snapping at you could simply be from the fever he had. Who
knows, we are not vets. I do know that folks post replies because they can
relate to your worry and want to try and help. Glad he seems fine now.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, I wasn't directing my response to you. It just seemed several people got hung up on the snapping and when he snapped at me i immediately took him to the vet. The licking started after the course of antiboitics, so if he had a UTI it would have been taken care of. Then someone made a comment about him being 6 months old? Heck, where did that come from. He will be three in July. I appreciate your reply, I guess i'm just being a little sensitive. Paco runs all over the house playing with the cat jumping off furniture, chasing his ball. He is part chi and part fox terrier so he has that terrier energy. Maybe he pulled a muscle he's very athletic. You're probably right, maybe it has nothing to do with his penis.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Whatever it was Kathy, I'm glad he's better. As a big time dog lover, even
though it is not my own pet, I still worry and want what's best. I get very
nervous too when I think something is wrong with one of my dogs, it's a
horrible feeling. Anyways, sorry for not being any help, hope Paco doesn't
give you any more worries.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts