Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me what this color is called? The owner said it was called a throwback? He has blue eyes, white coat with some brown spots. Sorry for the bad pic but he was moving and it was hard.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I think a throwback is when an unexpected or unknown gene(s) pops up in a breeding. Like a surprise from the two breeding parents long genetic past. At least I have heard it used that way. I don't know if anyone else might have info?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it considered a genitic fault? I plan on stopping tomorrow to take some better pics. He is really different in coloring and his eyes, there blue but also some red in the middle.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
He is a merle. Some breeders don't have any merle's in their breeding program as they have to be very carefully bred. You can't breed two merle's to each other, for example. some merle's are born deaf and blind. It is a color that is associated with some controversy. If he can see and hear and isn't going to be used in a breeding program, then there's no reason why you shouldn't have him for a pet.

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
I would say merle also, they are so beautiful and I love the blue eyes. You have good one there.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
He is a merle. Some breeders don't have any merle's in their breeding program as they have to be very carefully bred. You can't breed two merle's to each other, for example. some merle's are born deaf and blind. It is a color that is associated with some controversy. If he can see and hear and isn't going to be used in a breeding program, then there's no reason why you shouldn't have him for a pet.
+ 1 to what Tracy said. No reason for me to repeat it. LOL.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts