Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!!! This is a general question about all dog breeds. My Grandmother is allergic to a lot of pet dander and I was wondering, what dogs have less dander than others. I can't get a dog that has a lot. Please help quick

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Poodles I know for a fact are hypoallergenic (no dander)
I also believe that Maltese's have little to no dander, but dont quote me on that :wink:
I know there is one more breed out there that is hypoallergenic but I dont remember. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
xx-nathalie-xx said:
so do chihuahua's have a lot of dander??

kisses nat
Hmmm..good question....I have a toy poodle...he lives with my mom now, and we got him because I have allergies...I can't be around cats or Labs..etc.

I got a long haired cuz they shed less...but Gizmo has been shedding more than usual lately and my husband and I have been sniffling and sneezing...so for the last week I have had to take Allegra twice a day...

so

I guess they do have dander cuz Gizzie is making mummy sneeze and sniffle... :cry:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sadly, NO dog is hypoallergenic per se. Poodles and other such dogs shed less and so their dander doesn't "get around" as much.

Dander comes from the animal's saliva, not their hair. Even Chinese Cresteds and Mexican Hairless (Xolo) dogs are not "hypoallergenic".

Trust me, as a person with allergies I have researched this. It is best for your grandmother to visit the breed (be it poodle or maltese or whatever) before making that kind of decision. The good news is that dogs generally have less dander than cats so if your grandmother is allergic to cats she may be fine with dogs. :wink:

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts