Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am at my witts end. When I got Timmy from day one, at 12 weeks old, the breeder brought him to me and he was the happiest little puppy, was not scared, just was so happy, and I had puppy pads down for him, in all his excitement, he went to them right away and made a pee pee.

He has been the greatest little boy, goes to bed at 11 oclock, and always did his pee pee before he went to bed. I have to say he does his poo poo on his puppy pads still, and it is so funny to watch because he thinks it is so special and fun, so when he does it, he runs around with his tail between his legs and he is so happy, and we celebrate, Timmy made a poo poo, and he just thinks he did the most wonderful thing since slice bread.

But for the past month, he will occasionally go on the pee pads to pee. He still goes poo poo on them. I have noticed that he is peeing on my bedskirt, so I told him no. He stopped doing that. But this weekend I noticed he is doing it on the curtains. So I said no pee there.

I thought that would help. Not. Tonight he did it right in front of me. And I yelled at him, so now he is cowering in his bed and I really feel so bad, just want to kiss him and say it's okay, but I can't. He has to know that is not acceptable.

Any suggestions what I should do. How does a completely puppy pad trained boy...or why is he doing this?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
He is marking his territory. You need to get him fixed and the habit will stop. How old is he?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to mention he is two years and six months old and not neutered, so he he is in his sexuall prime. But so is my boyfriend and he doesn't come over and pee on my curtains.:foxes15:

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
He's doing it because you didn't get him neutered. Unneutered males mark. Period. May I ask why he's intact? Are you showing him?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, I am not showing him, but my father's chi had a horrible thing happen to him when he was getting neautered, they gave him too much gas, and he almost died. So I am very worried about doing this to Timmy.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Then he will mark. And un-neutered males have a higher chance of having testicular cancer. I have a LOT of dogs, all my boys were neutered without problems. The problem is since he is aready 2 and 1/2, he will be hard to train not to pee in the house when/if you do decide to neuter. Does he mark a lot? Have you heard about belly bands? They help keep the house unmarked. I put a cheap sanitary napkin inside it and it keeps him drier and doesnt soak through. It is necessary to keep him clean so he doesn't break down. Here's a sample of a belly band:

http://www.amazon.com/PlayaPup-Belly-Incontinence-Problems-Training/dp/B00266VX8E

But there are many styles and fabrics if you do a search online.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Hi sounds like you really adore your little timmy i recomend going to vet and haveing his neutered done then after about one week you can try and train him again that curtains and your nice things are off limits he cant help marking if he has all his buisness thats a nature call and thats all there is to that good luck with your little timmy

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
You have to clean the bed-skirt and curtains with an enzyme pet odour removing solution...the easiest is a SPRAY. If it is not cleaned properly he will mark those places again and again.

Yes un -neutered males will mark..

My neutered male once in a while will take the notion that something is a new piddle pad...I clean it and tell him no and it is no bother. this happens maybe once or twice a year. We had a new bath mat and one of the kids left it on the bathroom floor--and Rico was dancing around looking for a treat or something--like he had discovered this new and wonderful piddle pad.

Even outside...he marks his "fav" places but will go after any new thing he deems piddle pad -ish. I have a black tarp sort of cover over the fireplace in the back garden for the winter--he has been peeing on that eveythime he goes out !!

good luck get some good enzyme cleaner and go at it...

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Hey, Bijoux is a female and yes he will do it it sucks but it's a part of having a unfixed male.

As Pam said if you fix him with some love you can break the habit because the testosterone won't be driving him to mark. I do highly recommend you consider it, unfixed males also have a habit of running away -gates, doors, slipping collars and harnesses when then smell a female in heat. Which to me is a bigger hazard then the knife, talk to your vet and see what your options it may be something to consider.

If you really are too scared to get it done then I recommend a belly band, it won't stop him from trying to mark but it will prevent him from being able to. Just make sure that you use the napkin and change it often sounds like he's a pretty bad marker.

Good luck!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Simple. You have 3 choices...

1. Get him neutered and then re-train. If you wait too long, it's a very hard habit to break.

2. Get a belly band and keep him in it unless he is outside going to the bathroom.

3. Leave him intact and put up with his marking and inappropriate urination, the smell, etc. in your house.

·
Registered
77 Posts
There are thousands upon thousands of dogs neutered everyday with no unpleasant results, other than having to wear the cone of shame for a few days. Don't let one experience scare you. My minpin was neutered at 6 months because they are notorious runners, (plus the health benefits etc.) and the only place he "marks" is the edge of the yard, and every corner on our walks. --gotta find his way home you know just in case...LOL

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you everyone for your help. I will try the belly band and see how that works. And I will give real consideration to getting him neatured.

Regina and Timmy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts