Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Colds are not common in dogs but some do get them. Give 1/2 to 1 whole baby asprin and if nose is involved you can use pediatric benedryl 1/2 teaspoon if under 10 lbs and young.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Is your chi vaccinated against kennel cough (bordetella)?

If not, it may be kennel cough if he's been around other chis lately that might have had it or was at the vet or in a kennel situation.

If not, like 8Batch said, 1/2 a baby aspirin or benedryl (1 mg per pound every 6-8 hours - my first aid book says to use adult benedryl, not pediatric with those dosages) should help. Also, if you are scared that he may be getting dehydrated, you can offer him a 50/50 mix of water and either pedialyte or gatorade.

Give me the symptoms and I'll look it up in the first aid book for you. (I love this book! LOL)

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Cooper sneezes a lot too... but I think it's because he spends a lot of time with his nose up OmaKitty's :bootyshake: and he gets kitty hairs up his nose. LOL

·
Registered
269 Posts
Cooper is too funny!! :D

I also used the adult benedryl but the last time I took babies to vet to have shots she told me the pedatric benedryl was more safe for babies. My adult chis get the grownup version.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts