Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm having issues with my newest little Chi. Her name is Izzy and she is 9 months old. She has been spayed and she lives with me and my other little one Chico who is a male neutered 2 year old Chi.

Izzy has always been a rambunctious little girl. From the time I brought her home at 5 weeks she would growl and bite. I thought this was because she was a puppy. I didn't get Chico until he was about 5 months old. He was my mother’s dog and she was unable to care for him any longer. He always had a sweet personality.

So Izzy over the months has become more and more aggressive. She snarls and snaps at anything or anyone that comes up to her if she does not see them coming. She chews on everything. I call her my little goat girl because she eats anything she comes across. I have found all kinds of stuff in her poop. I am very careful about keeping things clean and put away, but she always manages to find something. When I attempt to take it from her she snarls and snaps at me. I approach her very slowly and say "No Izzy leave it" She runs. I have started giving her little tiny treats to get stuff from her because I am so worried about choking issues.

If Izzy is lying next to me or on my lap and I move or attempt to move her she snarls and bites. She has broken the skin several times. Izzy has bitten me and drawn blood many times since I brought her home. It is impossible to cut her nails or give her a bath.

I noticed she does this more aggressively if she is tired or frightened, but she always does it to some extent. She seems to sleep a lot more than Chico and she is frightened very easy. If there is anything new in the house or out of place she barks and growls very aggressively. She even does this if my husband or I walk through the house with a towel, hat, sunglasses or anything on our head.

I do not want to pop her on the nose as others have suggested because I believe violence will only make her more violent.

I have had her checked by our vet and he found no issues with her health. I gave her natural calming tablets before the visit and she still bit the doctor.
He said she was a typical Chi and that my Chico was the unusual one.

I really don't want to believe this is true and am desperate to find a solution.

Izzy and Chico get along well. They play together and eat their food side by side without any problems. As far as I know Izzy did not suffer any trauma in the first 6 weeks of her life before I welcomed her in ours.

Please any advice would be appreciated. The stress of worrying I will get bit or heaven forbid someone else is taking its toll. :sad7:

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
I think the reason behind Izzy's aggression is that she was taken away from her mother and siblings way too early. 5 weeks is much too young, good breeders will keep puppies until they are 12 weeks. The mother dog teaches the puppy manners, and to know it's place in the pack. They learn from their siblings when playing to stop when things get too rough. Poor Izzy missed out on all this.
I think you are going to have to go back to basics with this dog. You may need to enlist the help of a behaviourist. You are absolutely right about the hitting though, it would only make things worse.
She is not 'a typical Chi', it is a myth that this breed is nervous and aggressive. This forum proves that there are many lovely, well-adjusted Chi's all over the world.
Izzy needs to know where the boundaries are, and her confidence building up. It will be a long slow process, but definitely possible.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
First off never let her get away with biting you! You have to correct it even if you do the submissive roll (where you roll her on her back with you looking dead into her eyes until she stops squirming). Right now it seems like she was taken from her mom WAY TOO EARLY and did not learn any manners so you need to become top dog and teach her manners.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Some will say this is normal for a chi but I disagree. I had one while growing up and she was soft as anything. I had another one who use bark and bite ankles but only to protect her family after she lost her puppies. We bought her as an adult and she as pregnant unbeknownst to us. I also think she was mistreated. She only bit those who were a threat and she was a good judge of character. To those in the house she never even put her teeth near us or snarled. I've just gotten a boy chi, he is 10 weeks now. He doesn't bark or bite (he mouths us but has never broken skin), he runs up to everyone like they're a new friend. I have no problems touching his teeth, tummy or paws.

I think leaving at 6 weeks could be part of the problem as this is the time the mother teaches things like bite inhibition and puppy manners. There are lots of behaviourist techniques which involve ignoring bad behaviour, redirecting dangerous behaviour and rewarding desired behaviour. However, of it were me I would seek the help of a professional dog trainer at this point of you could afford it. Also make sure she is exercised and mentally stimulated enough as these can be contributing factors.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
This is NOT normal chi behavior! I agree with everyone else, she was taken away from her mother way too early. I urge you to seek the services of a dog trainer who will teach you ways to compassionately deal with this. It's not OK that she's acting this way, but it will be a long, hard road to train it out of her. But it CAN be done. I suggest you at the very least research the subject on the internet and get some ideas of how you can deal with her, but the best thing would be to take her to a behaviorist. You need to learn how to deal with her so that she won't continue to act this way, you need training in how to train your dog. I'm not faulting you or accusing you of anything, just that this is a difficult case and you're going to need help to know how to deal with her.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Some dogs get REALLY upset when you do a 'roll over' on them. It is a very submissive posture, and if the dog is afraid already; well then you very well might be bitten. Much better to get a trainer that uses positive methods and to teach you how to manage this poor pup. She surely must be a frightened little one.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
First of all, this is not normal Chi behaviour, or even normal dog behaviour in general.

You do need the help of an experienced dog trainer, in my opinion. You need a lot more help than what can be offered in a post on a forum board. While you are searching for a trainer or behaviourist, I would stay away from anyone or any technique that attempts to train these behaviours out of her by forceful physical correction because I believe as you do that violence only begats more violence.

That being said, there are a few things I can tell you from dealing with a little tyrant of my own. First of all, if she bites you when you remove her from your lap, don't let her sit on your lap! Everytime she either bites you or growls and gets her way, the behaviour is reinforced. Sitting on your lap is a privilege and she needs to earn it.

Secondly, she needs to learn a little cause and effect. Do you make her sit before you give her a treat? What about before you feed her? If she doesn't already sit for these things, teaching her would be a good beginning to develop better habits.

There is a wonderful website Helping You Help Your Dog | mysmartpuppy.com that has loads of information on puppy training and there is a book with the same name that is excellent. I think you might find both helpful while you are looking for a good trainer.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
You do need the help of an experienced dog trainer, in my opinion. You need a lot more help than what can be offered in a post on a forum board. While you are searching for a trainer or behaviourist, I would stay away from anyone or any technique that attempts to train these behaviours out of her by forceful physical correction because I believe as you do that violence only begats more violence.

That being said, there are a few things I can tell you from dealing with a little tyrant of my own. First of all, if she bites you when you remove her from your lap, don't let her sit on your lap! Everytime she either bites you or growls and gets her way, the behaviour is reinforced. Sitting on your lap is a privilege and ntil she has better manners, she doesn't deserve it.

Secondly, she needs to learn a little cause and effect. Do you make her sit before you give her a treat? What about before you feed her? If she doesn't already sit for these things, teaching her would be a good beginning to develop better habits.
I agree with every single word written here!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your help. I will research this more and I will look for someone in my area to help me train her. She is part of my family and I will not give up on her. I knew there had to be a reason and an answer. Thank you for getting me headed in the right direction. It never occurred to me that she could be acting this way because she was taken from her mother to soon.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
You've had some good advice already, I'd watch this dog around other people and expecially children.
This dog needs a complete back to basics regime.
Others have already told you what to do so I won't repeat the same things all over, but please do be cautious as if your dog bites or harms another person you could be faced with having to have her put down or worse face a lawsuit.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I agree with everyone else- you really need the help of an experienced behaviorist who understands you are dealing with a dog who was removed from her mother too early. I would not submissive roll this dog! You could really hurt yourself and I doubt it would help the situation at all! The last thing she needs is hyper dominance, she needs rules, parameters and help to learn what is appropriate behavior. In the meanwhile I would not let her near anyone stranger or put her in any situation where she could have opportunity to bite- or like others have said you may be forced to euthanize her by authorities.

Good luck finding a behaviorist- and like others have said- this is not "normal" chi behavior. Personally I would be most worried that this dog showed aggressive behavior from such a young age. You may have a long road ahead of you and she may never be "safe" with strangers or children- but I am sure you can get her to a point where she can live a happy life with you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts