Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PLease help, I am trying ot do the crate training and i put him in there hes (14 weeks old).. and hes whelping like somone is murding him, its almost unbearable...like i feel almost crying...hes chewing the door, trying to get out and whelping loudly....how do i get him used to the crate or even be in there for 4 hours cause i work.....he has to go in there.. hes bashing around right now...i dont know what to do?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey. Why don't you play with him in the room where the crate is and make the transition to the crate by making it look appealing, put atreat in there. Place him in there (or call him over with enthusiam if he's at all willing cuz that would be better) with his favorite toy and a treat or two but don't close the door. Talk to him and pet him while he's in the crate with the door open. I would not baby him though by saying it's ok or whatnot. Do that for a few days. When you do work up to shutting the door make it as little a deal as possible, discreetly. Play soft music, dim the light, put his bed in there.

If it that fails why not enclose him to a gated off small area like part of a hallway or the kitchen instead of a crate when youre at work.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and i find hes going #2 in there, only a little from nervousness or something...he gets it everywhere, on himself too..little here and there.....dunno what to do to teach him to hold it

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and i do play around it and get him to go inside, with treats too but it's mostly when im gone, he'll freak, totally spaz....he had such a long travel from oklahoma to seattle, stayed there..then seattle to vancouver the next day, was there for a couple hours, then vancouver to kelowna.......this lady i bought from was not organized and totally left it for me to figure out how he was going from vancouver to kelowna....havent heard from her at all....

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
he probably remembers that long trip... try another crate or gate a small area in a room off..

He might get stressed like he did on the trip.

Good luck and God bless

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Poor little one. He sounds very stressed because of all the traveling he has been through. Just be patient with him, it will take some time for him to get used to the crate. You might want to use a "wire Kennel". It is a little bigger than a crate and not quite as inclosed. Make sure he is kept warm and is eating regular meals. I think Chi's do better in pairs. They are extrememly social and tend to get lonely when left alone.

sandra

·
Registered
277 Posts
If he's pottying in the crate, its likely its too big for him yet. He should only have enough room to stand up and get turned around. Take an old towel and put it over the top and sides of the crate. Give him a treat, put him inside and even if he's screaming bloody murder, completely ignore him. Do not go back to the crate to peak inside or say its going to be ok. He needs to learn the crate is his quiet place. If he continues to scream, give him a firm loud "NO" with your voice and leave the room again. After a few days he'll get with the routine, they all do. And don't feel bad, just leave the room and let him be. Soon enough he'll be running to his crate to sleep all on his own.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
now i just boarded parts he cant access and he is now roaming my room, its not very big, and i put newspaper everywhere with all is stuff is.....i left him with door closed and he is not as whiny....he waits by the door everytime i look and check...i have to work for 4 hours in an hour and a half so he has to learn to play by himself now and not have me there, he even whines when i am on the bed and hes not touching me....hes so adorable i wish i could hold him...but he cant be attached to me

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so when i go to work for 4 hours...i put him in the crate with blankets and that, treat, and cover with a blanket and if he has to go , he ...i think would go in there...but over time he will get used to the schedual

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
You are feeling so guilty about leaving him alone and letting him cry, and I know it is very difficult to do. You just want to pick him up and hold him - but he will be fine. As long as he is healthy, has food and water, and is in a safe environment you should not feel guilty. It might not seem like it now, but you will both get through this - just be patient and consistent.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thank you for all your posts, I did the crate with the blanket on top, works awesome, no peep at all......the only thing im worried about is being in there for 4 hours.......he did well with 3 yesturday.....and I never usually get 5 hours at work, but today....I unfortaunaly have one....so i do hope he can hold it...ill be making sure he does what he has to do before i go.I wish i had more than a 15 min break....im 8 min away..if i drive faster.. but thats 16 mins of going there and back :?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
You may try putting him on a different feeding schedule. so he has relieved himself before you leave for work and you feed him and water him when you arrive home. he will be fine for 5 hours relax lol as long as he isn in a place where he cannot harm himself he will be fine. blanket over the crate works wonders i guess they feel more secure without the openess

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Gadget would whine if i went into the other room... He used to whine when he was on the floor and I was on the couch... He soon grew out of that. I taught him that if he whined I wouldn't pick him up... The same goes for letting him out of his bag when he is in it.. or if he wants outside with me when I am outside and he is standing with his feeet on the screen door...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts