Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lacey :confused:

Going by the Raw calculator....if I do 10% of her current weight...she is 24 oz...that would be about 2.4 ounces a day. Split into 4 meals...that would be about 5/8 oz per meal..:rolleyes: Does that seem like alot?

If I go by her projected adult weight.....who knows:confused::confused: Im guessing she could be 3lb adult. In that case I would feed .96 oz day.

If I take her current weight and calculate it at 4% instead of 10%...its .96 oz a day as well. I just really want to make sure Im not overfeeding or underfeeding :confused:

She's still having difficulty with bone in meals...so right now its only a novelty and Im not including it in her daily portions. She's mainly eating ground meats. I havent included any organ yet. Tried tripe and she turned her nose up at it.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Well, she's looking great Kristy, I'd keep doing what you're doing. Since what they require can fluctuate based on the dog I'd not worry about being an exact percentage. Just keep doing what you're doing & monitor her body condition. That's what I'd do. :)

What is she getting for bone? I'd be getting her on some grinds until she gets the hang of the boney meals. Or at least whack the boney meals up real good so she can maybe get some pieces here & there? It must be tricky to split up the meals in such small portions though..especially the boney ones! LOL

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Oooo tripe not good enough for Lacey, huh?

To me it sounds like your calculations are correct, but I rarely measure their portions...I just go by body condition and weight, so, I may not be the best person to ask.

Hopefully someone here can be more helpful ;)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I agree with Heather and Kristi - I think she looks great. Just keep doing what you're doing and don't get too hung up on weighing and measuring everything. Seems the grinds would be easier to do on such a tiny girl - maybe a tablespoon 4 times a day? I don't know if that would put too much weight on or not. And I'd do chicken wings/necks/ or cornish hen parts with the bones smashed by a hammer as recreation and to get her to start using her little teeth. :) She looks great - whatever you're doing is working!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I do agree that the grinds might be better only b'c they are complete--as soon as we are moved we are getting a huge freezer that will just be full of doggy meats including those. Could you get her something like the frozen Stella & Chewy's ? that way you wouldn't have to make a whole Hare-Today order or anything, and chances are someone local has it? Asia and Leah, if that's all they eat in a day, get around 1.3 patties each. So Lacey would probably need around 1 of them? I tried starting Asia on the lamb first and that was noo-ot good. Had to put her back on her kibble and let tummy settle and then she took to the chicken fine and I am slowly phasing in new meats for both girls. They get dried ZP too.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, she's looking great Kristy, I'd keep doing what you're doing. Since what they require can fluctuate based on the dog I'd not worry about being an exact percentage. Just keep doing what you're doing & monitor her body condition. That's what I'd do. :)

What is she getting for bone? I'd be getting her on some grinds until she gets the hang of the boney meals. Or at least whack the boney meals up real good so she can maybe get some pieces here & there? It must be tricky to split up the meals in such small portions though..especially the boney ones! LOL
Thanks Heather!! I think I will just hammer a chicken neck and cut it into pieces maybe:confused: She's not big into biting off pieces of meat yet.

I agree with Heather and Kristi - I think she looks great. Just keep doing what you're doing and don't get too hung up on weighing and measuring everything. Seems the grinds would be easier to do on such a tiny girl - maybe a tablespoon 4 times a day? I don't know if that would put too much weight on or not. And I'd do chicken wings/necks/ or cornish hen parts with the bones smashed by a hammer as recreation and to get her to start using her little teeth. :) She looks great - whatever you're doing is working!
LOL!!! I was already giving her a tablespoon 4x day. That is about 3oz total. So I was wondering if that was too much for her. She gobbles it right up.

I do agree that the grinds might be better only b'c they are complete--as soon as we are moved we are getting a huge freezer that will just be full of doggy meats including those. Could you get her something like the frozen Stella & Chewy's ? that way you wouldn't have to make a whole Hare-Today order or anything, and chances are someone local has it? Asia and Leah, if that's all they eat in a day, get around 1.3 patties each. So Lacey would probably need around 1 of them? I tried starting Asia on the lamb first and that was noo-ot good. Had to put her back on her kibble and let tummy settle and then she took to the chicken fine and I am slowly phasing in new meats for both girls. They get dried ZP too.
I can get SC locally. I actually have some....but the one time I tried feeding it to her she wouldnt eat it. Guess I will try again:) She's such a picky little thing...geesh:rolleyes:

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I got Asia to eat it by mixing a tsp of chicken baby food in and a teeny dash of garlic...they can be such divas LOL. But maybe that will make it more interesting to her?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Brody will eat anything if I sprinkle a tiny bit of parmesan cheese on it. I think the smell makes it more appealing to him. The baby food add in is a good idea as well.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm...parmesan cheese....I will try that!

Kristi......the baby food gives Lacey stinky, mushy poos......it is the Beechnut chicken.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts