Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found 2 girls , littermates. One is a teensy smaller than the other. they were born on march 5, breeder has mom and dad and says she's been breeding chis 4 years. I forgot to ask if they were registered or not. She is a vet tech she said.
Here is the smaller one of the 2 tootsie

Now the other girl tootie

on the last one tootie is in the middle.
What do you guys think? she said mom is 4 lb and dad is 3 lb. Of course who knows. I asked her to send me more pics and pics of mom and dad too. She said she would today. she is asking 300 which is a great deal.:p She told me she thought they were 3 lbs which seems big for 9 weeks old. idk, i will wait on the pics. She is 2 hrs away so i want to be darn sure before i drive for 4 hrs. lol

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
3 lbs at 9 weeks = 10ish lbs as an adult, most likely. That's still a "small" dog but it isn't a purse puppy by any means. Also, uhhhh, 3 lbs but mom only weighs 4 lbs?

These two gals are very cute but definitely aren't "standard". It really depends on what you want.

My advice? Go see them. Put a deposit as soon as you can, or you will forever be looking ;-) A larger chi might be good if you have kids, which you mentioned you do.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I definitely do NOT want a 10 lb dog, it defeats the purpose, so to speak of getting a chi. lol
Hehe I agree with you completely! So...I'd keep looking if they are 3 lbs at 9 weeks. In my experience, get a chi that charts a pound smaller than you'd like it to be LOL. Cuz chances are it won't follow the chart and will be a pound or so bigger.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Those babies are big. They will be way over 6 pounds as adults. There's just no way the parents are 3 and 4 pounds. No way.

Keep on lookin!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
(these guys will also have longer muzzles and more deer than apple shaped heads)

Just as an example, Trigger at 9 weeks was charting to be 6 lbs and now haha I have no clue where he'll go. I love him to death and he is a stunning chihuahua but he isn't standard and will certainly be staying out of my purse :p

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
They're big with long muzzles.. personally i wouldn't even look there. Daisy was 1lb 5oz (ish) at 9 weeks.. she's now just over 4lbs at 5 1/2 months I love her size as she's very small and compact but not so fragile she'll break if a big dog sniffs her..
I'd keep looking

·
Registered
677 Posts
The first one is the cutest, but like everyone has said, don't settle!

I know you want one, and you want one bad! But your perfect little girl will come along!!!

When you see her, you'll know! Good things come to those who wait! xx

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
oh gosh how would you decide, they are both adorable and the markings are beautiful...

It does seems wierd if the parents are 3 and 4lb that the pups are 3lb now.. maybe she got the weights mixed up somewhere.

But nethertheless they are both gorgeous

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Cherper, I just wanted to remind you that if you keep looking for a "cheap" puppy, you are going to get what you pay for. A bigger, non standard Chihuahua. If you want a puppy that is within the standard (6 pounds or less), then you have to buy from a breeder who CONFORMS to the standard and doesn't just randomly throw dogs together. I would say that MOST of the dogs you have posted on here have come from backyard breeders. Do any of these people show their dogs? Health test? What registries, if any, do they use?

I know I, and others, have taken the time to give you links and PM's to reputable breeders in your state! You have one breeder in Indianapolis who shows her dogs and health tests them and has beautiful puppies! NO... they are not $300. They are twice that. But they will end up being what you are looking for.

Cutting costs in the beginning by looking for a bargain can often lead to heartbreak later with health costs. Patella luxation surgery is running about $1500 here in the US. Why take that chance?

Find a reputable breeder. (One who shows and health tests her dogs). Put yourself on a waiting list for a puppy. Save your money and get the pup when it's 10-12 weeks old. Voila. Done.

Looking on puppyfind sites, free sites like kijiji, etc. is NOT the way to find a dog. Especially one like you are looking for, that is very small and well bred.

Just my opinion. Just trying to help.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Cherper, the listing on these puppies says:

BEAUTIFUL LITTLE BLACK AND WHITE FEMALE. SHE IS
VERY SWEET AND LIKES TO SNUGGLE. HER MOM IS A 4LB
WHITE AND CHOCOLATE AND DAD IS A 3LB BLUE
AND WHITE. SHE WILL BE ABOUT 3-4 LBS FULL GROWN.
SHE WILL HAVE HER FIRST SET OF SHOTS AND BE WORMED

So I don't think they are 3 lbs yet but I'd still bet despite what the ad says they will be 5-6 lbs and not standard looking.

Brodysmom makes very good points. There is *NO SUCH THING* as a "good deal" when it comes to a dog. Wait until you can afford one that is from a good breeder =) I paid on average $800 for mine and $1000 for my last boy, which IMO, was a steal. The breeder had more show pups than they knew what to do with.

Puppys come with issues when they are cheap...

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Brodysmom is spot on with great advice, I bought Jake basically coz I fell in love with his picture, I had no idea of his parentage..nothing, I am now making a claim for near on £4000 and that is sterling not dollars.

This is due to Luxation Patella in both legs and needing both tibia's sliced and pinned.

Had I foreseen this and new better I would probably not have bought Jake but saying that I love him to bits and would never part with him.

I am now looking for a second Chi but I will only buy from a reputable breeder and will be asking a million and one questions.

To get a good to standard Chi, I am looking to pay a lot more than I paid for Jake.

Pleae don't buy from BYB as this only encourages them to breed more puppies

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Very well said Tracy. Cherper you need to listen to the advice you are getting from others. They all have alot of experience and they know what they are talking about. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Cute pups! But then again all pups are cute. Not saying that rudely, but I don't think they will be what you are looking for. They already in those pics weigh over 2 lbs. So no way they will weigh 3 as an adult. I can almost assure you Mom & Dad aren't the weights she states either. Anyway, just trying to help and be honest. Keep looking. :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts