Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peanut is my first puppy ever. So far she's not being accepted into the chi pack. She does sometimes nip the others. They growl and snap, but so far I don't think anyone has nipped her back. How much of their growing is them teaching her and how do I know when to leave them alone and when to correct or separate them? All advice accepted, don't assume I know anything about puppies. LOL

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts
BG still barks and growls at Scarlett and she is 10 months old. As soon as Scar comes inside BG starts yelling at her to remind her of the house rules.

Now BG's growl with a puppy is not the same as an aggressive growl. It is different it is her mothering voice.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Assuming the adults are well mannered individuals who know how to behave appropriately around other dogs, I wouldn't intervene unless one is showing signs of distress.
If she is ignoring their warnings they will get stronger with their corrections.
Is she bugging them to play with her? Are they interacting at all?
I would make sure the adults have plenty of time away from the puppy, but also do things with all three together, eg feeding, games, a little training, supervised activities so they know she is part of the pack.
Going for group walks is the ideal way to bond them if she is old enough to go out.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think she's bugging them to play, but they're not interested and sometimes I think she's nipping them. It doesn't help that the weather has been too bad for walks. Piper did bite her today, but at least Piper's already almost smaller than her so she can't do too much damage. The 'pack' usually gets along with other chis and respectful dogs, except Piper who's defensive except with chis.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts