Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all:) I am getting a baby chi in the next few weeks and I just need some help with potty training. I have never owned a puppy before so this is going to be a totally new experience. I heard that you could train your puppy to be litter trained in a litter box, as well as to go outside. I would really like to train my little guy like this if possible. I live in Canada so we have really beautiful summers but it gets very cold in the winter. So it would be great if he could be trained to do both. If this is possible, how should i go about doing it? I will be crate training him in the beginning and putting a litter box in his crate. I'm not sure how i should approach teaching him to go outside too. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx a million

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I hate litter boxes so I am no help there. My cat even goes to the door and meows to be let out. One thing I have to add is to give your dog a little treat that he loves as soon as he goes potty outside and praise him of coarse. I crate trained my chi's but they still had a few accidents but as soon as I started using the treats it was like they loved going potty outside cause they new they got a treat, and no accidents since then.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have read up a lot about how to initially train him this site has hepled and I did read your thread when you went to the class. My only question really is how to train him to go outside in the summer....because summers are beautiful here (in Canada). But how to also get him to know how to go in a box in case he needs to go when i'm not home. Also for the freezing cold winter months because he will instantly freeze being outside. Should I try training him to do both as I potty train him? Or will this confuse him?
Thanx guys :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How often do you have to change pee pads?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I would use the litterbox or pee pads (you change them once a day - they're similar to diapers, laying on your floor) to train him to go outside. Basically, get the pup used to going on the potty pads and say "pee pee" or "go potty" when they're in the act while praising him.

Then, when you start taking them outside, say whatever it is you were saying when they went inside and it'll click in their head.

I prefer pee pads over the litter box. I don't know about training them on both since my personal experience is that once Cooper got the hang of going outside, he refused to use them - regardless of the weather. If it's raining, cold, sunny... he goes outside. But we don't have cold temps like you get in Canada. He might change his mind if he lived there. :lol:

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
If it gets too dirty they will find another spot to go.

I don't know how big the box is, but I'd say maybe after 2 or 3 times peeing at most. The poop you can pick up with tissue and flush as long as it isn't messy.

I didn't use a box, just pads on the floor and the most times my girls would pee on it was 3, then they would look for some where else to go. So I usually changed it after 2 times.

Once they get older they don't go as much so you won't have to buy as many.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
It is possible to train to a pad or litterbox and to go outside. I started Jazzy off by training to the pee pad inside. Once that was going well, I started taking her outside and telling her to "go potty". She picked up on it very quickly - I was fortunate because Jazzy was extremely easy to train.

I used the pee pads inside - the litter box just made a big mess. You do need to change the pads after they use them 2 or 3 times.

It's great to me that I can leave the house and not have to worry about Jazzy going to the bathroom on the floor while I'm gone. Plus, I don't have to get up during the night to take her outside. :lol:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone you have answered my questions:)
Now I just need my puppy to test it all out

1 - 10 of 10 Posts