Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two 8-month old chi's (Ponco & Sasha). I recently purchased a 2-month old Pug puppy (Milo). Poncho & Sasha have been terrible since I've brought him home. They refuse to interact w/him or even play with him. Milo is so playful and will leap and jump and bark at them (playfully), and my other two will either run away or bark or bare teeth at him. Milo stands his ground very well and doesn't seem the bit intimated by them, but I'm worried about how they will be when I return back to work. I've taken off of work for a week, just so I could introduce them properly. Poncho and Sasha have now started to make boo-boo's all over the house, something they never did before. I think Sasha is far worse than Poncho. She seems as if she'll possibly really hurt him, if I didn't supervise all they're time together. Its only been 2 days ... any suggestions?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Ok ... here's my opinion.

If you don't have a crate, GET ONE.

It sounds like Ponco and Sasha are being territorial. When you leave home for the day you need to put Milo in the crate, that way Ponco and Sasha can get used to him without you being around, but can't get to him to harm him.

Heck, you should crate him while he's gone for the first couple of months anyway! There are too many things around the house that could hurt him ... things you might not even consider dangerous for a two month old pup! :!:

Don't try and force your chi's to like Milo, and don't yell, fuss, or "get on to" them when they are mean to Milo ... that's probably just making it worse in their mind. They're thinking "That dog is making Mommy mad at us!" :?

Ok, I'm out of ideas ... but I'm sure you'll get GREAT advice from everyone else! :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Oh, I doubt that the dogs have any intention of hurting him. Don't correct them for correcting his playful advances. They are most likely just teaching him that he has to have manners with them and that they are not interested in playing yet.

When I got my pup Ginger (terrier) my dog Tasha (cocker mix) would REALLY give it to her! The noise that came out of that dog!! But you know what? I called a dog trainer that told me that Tasha needed to establish her dominance and that my pup was pushing the limits and that through all the noise and vicious-sounding (what SEEMED like) attacks, that Tasha would not hurt her. Once we calmed down and watched we saw that Tasha absolutely had no intention of hurting the pup but also had no intention of putting up with her puppy shennanigans either!

Good luck and yes, please do put the pup somewhere safe during the day. She could really get into a lot of trouble!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I agree with the crate and all that has been said. From the dogs' point of view, you brought this new dog into their house and they've already begun to figure out the pecking order ... so now, here's this uninvited guest to ruin everything.

They're just trying to figure the new pup out, trying to figure out how he fits into the dominance heirarchy and all that jazz. Give them a bit and I'm sure they'll figure it out amongst themselves. :wave:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts