Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am new to this site/forum (did a intro post in the newbie forum). I have a 6 month old chi. I got him when he was about 2 months old and started right away with showing him where the potty spot was. I have a potty patch and also potty wee wee pads. He was doing well going on the patch/pads but the last month or so he started going on the carpet and where he feels like it. I told the vet about this and she said "Oh hes forgotten" and said retrain him. My problem is that I dont know how to retrain him. I put him on the pad now and then but usually he dont have to go then and walks away. I read something online about putting him in his playpen until he learned where to go but I really am not sure how that will help. We have a small apartment and most of the time hes free to roam around between the living room and down the small hall and in the bedroom. He is isnt allowed in the kitchen or bathroom and they are both blocked or closed and not accessible to him. Since he has been free like this I know he will cry and be upset if i confine him to his playpen. I am very frustrated and confused. I just dont know what to do to get him to go to the potty where he is supposed too and my hubby has become upset with him going on the carpet even though I clean it as soon as I see it. I am also trying to retrain him asap because the vet said I should before he reaches 7 months.

Can anyone please help me? I need a detailed set of instructions or plans.

Thank in advance

·
Registered
60 Posts
We had a potty spot for Rio when we first got him and he started off fine until like yours he started going wherever he liked. We eventually got him going outside when he was about 6 months but he still has the odd accident here and there. Small dogs are renowned for being difficult to house train. The key is to reward with treats and cuddles and make lots of fuss when they go in the right place and ignore them completely when they go in the wrong place. Have you tried crate training?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts