Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dottie was fine then looked as if she was going to be sick,had a few poos not diarrea and now seems listless gave her some honey in water anything else i can try ? maybe just stomach ache,hasn't eaten any other food than what she always had

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Is she acting groggy, like she can't wake up? I'd rub some syrup on her gums and try and get some protein into her. It does sound like hypoglycemia which is a common problem with the tinies, as you know.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes Tracy i have given her honey and water in a syringe twice in the last hour,she is acting groggy,haven't got syrup,she ate all her dinner at 5.30 it is now 10.30pm that was her last meal

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I would rub the honey straight on her gums and inside her mouth without the water (so it will be more concentrated). Try and get her to eat a little protein so her sugars will be stable and not bounce up and then crash down (which happens with just sugar). Baby food meat in a jar, a bite of chicken or steak, or even crush up her dog kibble into a powder, mix with a little water and let her lick it off your finger, or else wipe it on the top of her mouth so she has to swallow it. She's not limp, is she?

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well she's a little brighter after putting the honey on the gums and has eaten some chicken,Thanks Tracy i'm exhausted so going to bed

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I'm glad she's doing well. Hopefully she'll have a better day tomorrow! Get some good rest. :)

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I really loved that Nutra-Cal puppy paste , can you get that ?? I mean that Rico loved it and I like the easy way to get some calories into him when he was small..

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Definitely sounds like it was Hypoglycemia. I agree that some Nutri-cal several times a day may be a good idea. I also would maybe leave her some food in her crate at night. Not the greatest to get her on a schedule but the Hypo. puppies need to have it on hand. Make sure she doesnt get overly active when playing as puppies will ofcourse do but from my understanding if they play to hard this can trigger the Hypo in tinies. I definitely think it played a part in Chibi's issues with this.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Saying prayers for the baby.. and checking in on her. Nutri-cal is so great to have on hand with tiny babies.. not to be used instead of making the extra effort of getting them to eat.. but I know that we would certainly have lost one and possibly two of our chis as babies if we had not been able to get the Nutri-cal in them immediately. Please let us know how she is doing. Blessings, Deb

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took Dottie to the vets as she seems lethargic ,2 injections she has an extended stomach so fluids and chicken only temperature was low,taking her back tomorrow morning .She's asleep on a heat mat at the moment Thanks everybody

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Hugs for you and Dottie, Please keep us posted

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Oh Michele, I am so sorry. It's a nightmare I know. Those symptoms are similar to what we went through with Ernie awhile back. I did syringe feed him for days (per the vets order) Hang in there, it is so worth the work, as you already know. ((((hugs)))))) Hoping little bits gets better really soon.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I hope she is feeling better soon. Glad you got her to the vets. These little ones go downhill so quickly.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I really loved that Nutra-Cal puppy paste , can you get that ?? I mean that Rico loved it and I like the easy way to get some calories into him when he was small..
Just ordered some from Amazon,so i'll always have some in the cupboard

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Aw, poor baby Dottie.. thank goodness she has seen her vet and is being treated.. You both are in my prayers.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts