Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously desperate here. It's been almost 7 months and Misha STILL isn't pad trained or housebroken at all. She sometimes pees on the pad if it's around, right in her plain sight, but if it isn't she will just pee wherever she wants. And even when it is right there she won't use it more than half the time. I find poop all over the house, I can't crate train her because she just pees and poops and then sleeps in it. I have to wash her every day because she's covered in it. I don't get it, dogs aren't supposed to pee and poop where they sleep but she's been doing it since I got her as a little puppy. I'm starting to feel like this is impossible, I can't have a dog that pees all over the place ... when she's sitting with me she will walk to the end of my bed and pee. Right in front of me. She doesn't understand anything -_-

I praise her like mad when she goes on the pad but she still doesn't get it. I even tried leaving pads everywhere and she won't use them. She thinks the world is her bathroom or something. I have to watch her every second she is out and jump as soon as she squats, and it's just not enjoyable having her around because she makes everything such a mess. I've never in my life had such difficulty training a dog. I feel like I've done everything, I don't know what to do any more ...

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
try taking her to where you want her to potty them when she does, give her a treat. it worked will all of my dogs.
&& for other tips and methods you could search for the old threads as there have been quite a few threads about this recently.
good luck

·
Registered
609 Posts
you mentioned trouble with crate training and that she would mess her crate. is it too large perhaps? they won't mess their sleeping area, but if there is enough room that she can sleep on one side and mess on the other, then you may need to block of part of the crate so that she is confined to a smaller area and will not soil it...

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you mentioned trouble with crate training and that she would mess her crate. is it too large perhaps? they won't mess their sleeping area, but if there is enough room that she can sleep on one side and mess on the other, then you may need to block of part of the crate so that she is confined to a smaller area and will not soil it...
Definitely not the issue she will go directly in her bed and then sleep in it. She's terrible -_-

Thanks for the tips everyone, this is a hard case, standard training doesn't seem to be working on her :(

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Some people here have done something along the lines of "tethering" the dog to you..having her attatched to you so that as soon as she makes her move--Put her on the pad straight away.

I actually think Victoria Stillwell did this too on a tv program. Also wash every where that she has "gone"--I mean those places where she wasn't supposed to go--with enyme cleaner like nature's miracle or one of those--get all traces of pee and poo gone she she isn't repeating.

Nature's miracle piddle pads are supposed to have and attracting scent making them appealing for doggies ot wee on them. It might be worth a try.
There are some sprays for detering pups from going in certain places as well. I wonder if somehting like that would work.

Does she see Yoshi using piddle pads ??

good luck--

·
Registered
829 Posts
Persistance (sp) I didn't think I would ever get Charlie house trained but he's 90% there. I got rid of the puppy pads and I just kept taking him outside every 30 minutes and he couldn't come back in until he had a wee. Don't get me wrong he would sometimes come straight in a wee in the house but I would call him a bad boy and put him back outside. I say he's 90% there because he wee'd on my bed yesterday morning. He still has accidents (more pooing than weeing) If he gets in my sons bedroom you can gaurentee he will poo in there.

I understand how you feel though about not enjoying her because I'm the same with Charlie at the minute. He's just doing so many naughty things just lately.

Good Luck xx

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies all. She does see Yoshi use the pads and I always praise Yoshi still as well. Misha went on the pad today and I praised her and as soon as I started she ran off the pad and peed all over the floor -_- She's so strange ...

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Sounds like your praising may have scared her? How do you praise, loudly?, uber excitedly? If so then maybe you should praise her a little softer like allow her to do it and then when she comes off the pad pet her and tell her how good she is and then give her a treat.

You may need to try to take the bedding out of the crate, I have heard that this works for some of the harder cases as if there is something in there it will sop it up so they dont mind sleeping in it as bad. I have even suggested for those that do not use any bedding to maybe buy a hammock online for them so it doesnt seem so bad for them. I buy a XL animal hammock for our Coatimundi and thought this would be a good idea. If you would like the link, I would be glad to send it to you?

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Does she have any urinary issues, when Zoey was doing that she had a infection. I used to spray her pads with a scent to help her go on them.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like your praising may have scared her? How do you praise, loudly?, uber excitedly? If so then maybe you should praise her a little softer like allow her to do it and then when she comes off the pad pet her and tell her how good she is and then give her a treat.

You may need to try to take the bedding out of the crate, I have heard that this works for some of the harder cases as if there is something in there it will sop it up so they dont mind sleeping in it as bad. I have even suggested for those that do not use any bedding to maybe buy a hammock online for them so it doesnt seem so bad for them. I buy a XL animal hammock for our Coatimundi and thought this would be a good idea. If you would like the link, I would be glad to send it to you?
It's possible ... or maybe she got too excited I'm not sure. I usually just praise her ... hmm, not too loud, and no too excited, but excited and normal loudness lol. Oh does the hammock go in the crate? That sounds kind of neat. I took her bed out and put a towel in last night just so she wouldn't be sleeping on the metal floor, but she peed in it -_- Yeah the link would be nice thank you :D

Does she have any urinary issues, when Zoey was doing that she had a infection. I used to spray her pads with a scent to help her go on them.
I don't think she does as she's been like this since I got her. She doesn't poo in the right place either so it's not just peeing. I think I had her checked once a while ago and she was fine. She's very very difficult -_-

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Is she peeing during the night??? If she doesn't wake you up to go.. maybe you could try getting her up to go herself.. then fingers crossed the penny may drop and she might twig.. Daisy pooed in her crate when i first got her and i had to litterally make the crate tiny.. i blocked most of it off with cushions, boxes, towels etc so she couldn't get up on them and things have been fine since (touch wood).

I don't do pee pad training..personally don't like the thought of wee and poo in my house, but maybe you need to start from the beginning again and cover an entire area and reduce the amount of pads after a while..

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is she peeing during the night??? If she doesn't wake you up to go.. maybe you could try getting her up to go herself.. then fingers crossed the penny may drop and she might twig.. Daisy pooed in her crate when i first got her and i had to litterally make the crate tiny.. i blocked most of it off with cushions, boxes, towels etc so she couldn't get up on them and things have been fine since (touch wood).

I don't do pee pad training..personally don't like the thought of wee and poo in my house, but maybe you need to start from the beginning again and cover an entire area and reduce the amount of pads after a while..
Thanks for the tips. Like I said these are the things I've been doing, which is why I'm so frustrated. I know all the standard tricks with housebreaking, but none of them are working and I don't know what to do any more :( Her crate is very small, there is room for her to sleep and that's it. She pees in her bedding and then sleeps in it, so space (or lack there of) isn't an issue. She isn't peeing in one corner and going back to bed, she is literally standing up, peeing, and then laying back down in it. Standing up, pooping, and then laying back down in it. I don't get it >_<

There are pads all over the place and she still won't use them. I've tried just about everything except take out her bedding ... maybe I will try that tonight but then she will just be sleeping in the metal crate I dunno that just seems mean to me to make her sleep on that. I really dunno what to do :( Maybe I should just stick her in diapers for the rest of her life but I don't want to have to do that. This isn't a pleasant experience at all. It's just a constant issue and she always smells like pee so I don't even want to hold her, it's just ruining everything :(

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I would seriously start again.. I'd scrub her crate top to bottom to remove every scent.. bathe her so she doesn't smell because she can't enjoy stinking... block her crate off so she only has enough room to turn around and start from the beginning again.. praise her when she goes she she knows its a good thing.. and continue to praise her.. i still tell Daisy she's a good girl when she goes.. and she's touch wood pretty much there i think!!!! (watch me get a big wee on my floor today now i've said that).

I'd take her out every hour, go out with her and stay with her until she's done her business. I'd also check what times you're feeding her.. sometimes it helps by bringing there evening feed forward an hour so they get it all out before they go to bed.. Also if she's going during the night.. until she learns not to go in the crate i'd set your alarm and get up and take her out.. may be worth you taking a couple of weeks off work if you work!!!

It shoulnd't take long once she's getting the hang of it for her to go through the night..

Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem with my little chi, hes 16 weeks old and doesnt like the pads at all!! he stands on them and then runs off and wees all over the floor! it feels never ending. i have started taking him outside to wee but i can spend over an hour outside in the cold and he comes in and wees straight away! So frustrating. Wish there was an easy answer to this???

·
Registered
74 Posts
Krista, I feel your frustration. I'd had a horrible time potty training Peanut, too. Same as you. Everybody kept telling me to crate him b/c they don't potty in their bedding. WRONG! Peanut is not like that. I have the smallest crate there is, and without fail, every time I put him in it (one time he wasn't even in it an hour!), he would pee and there were several times he did BOTH...then sat down/laid in it. VERY frustrating. So I definitely understand what you are going through right now.

Peanut is getting better, but we still have our bad days. And I don't claim to know everything, because I'm learning, too. But here are some things that seem to be working for Peanut and me (he's 4 months old):

1) Lots of one-on-one time -- Somebody all but told me I was crazy and wrong when I said this was helping. But I don't really care, because I know my puppy, know what we've been through, and I KNOW without a doubt this helps. There was a period of about 2 weeks that was horrible and I was so angry I just totally ignored Peanut because I was so mad that he kept using the bathroom all over the floor instead of the pee pad. But I noticed, the more attention I gave him (positive), the better he becomes. They're sensitive, too, like we are. So I'm sure me ignoring him hurt his feelings and he's just a baby so he couldn't understand why I was doing that. I try to make sure he gets a certain amount of time out of the play pen (I keep him in the kitchen right now) to run around and play and have fun--ONLY after I've seen him pee in the potty box. And I also let him sit in my lap and carry him with me on errands IF he's been good with the pottying.

2) Consistency. Two weekends ago was terrible, but it was because I was gone several hours every day, then several hours every night last weekend. So I wasn't here to remind him to go potty. I take him first thing in the morning when I get up (I'm usually up before him now). Then after that, every 2-4 hours, depending on his level of activity and whatnot.

3) Bring him to his potty area. I have a litter pan I put Peanut's potty pads in and call it the potty box. At first, I would go into the gated area, pick him up, place him in the box and say, "Go potty" in a soft, sweet voice. Now he knows what I'm coming for, so as soon as I unclip the gate to go in, he jumps up and goes straight to the box and I just say, "Go potty." Same as #2...consistency is the key.

I think my biggest mistake with Peanut was allowing myself to become frustrated and angry at him. I yelled at him a couple of times and it scared him, so after that, for a couple of weeks he would shake every time I put him in the potty box. It took some time to get him to trust me again. Stay calm, breathe, hum a song to yourself while you're cleaning the mess....do whatever you have to do to stay in control. This was probably the best advice I was given: Your pup doesn't know the difference between positive and negative reinforcement. If you yell or get upset, all he knows is he's getting attention for what he did. So I just totally avoided eye contact and verbal communication when I cleaned up the messes. Did it quietly. Then when he successfully used the potty box, I praised and gave treats then.

None of this may even be helpful to you, but I just want you to know you're not alone. Hang in there and it will get better.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Really good advice, Hope. Consistency is very important, as you said. Capturing that first few times a puppy goes in the right place and praising the living heck out of them is a primary building block to getting them to do it right ALL the time.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think my biggest mistake with Peanut was allowing myself to become frustrated and angry at him. I yelled at him a couple of times and it scared him, so after that, for a couple of weeks he would shake every time I put him in the potty box. It took some time to get him to trust me again. Stay calm, breathe, hum a song to yourself while you're cleaning the mess....do whatever you have to do to stay in control. This was probably the best advice I was given: Your pup doesn't know the difference between positive and negative reinforcement. If you yell or get upset, all he knows is he's getting attention for what he did. So I just totally avoided eye contact and verbal communication when I cleaned up the messes. Did it quietly. Then when he successfully used the potty box, I praised and gave treats then.

None of this may even be helpful to you, but I just want you to know you're not alone. Hang in there and it will get better.
Thanks so much! You're totally right, and I know I do the same thing with Misha. She is just so darn frustrating that she gets it wrong every single time, after 8 months she still doesn't get it, I get so mad and frustrated at her I do ignore her sometimes. I get more frustrated at her just because it's not only this she has issues, but also with everything else too so she's extra frustrating lol. She doesn't pee in the right spot, she chews my clothes, tears up my bedding, picks on my other chi, shreds anything she finds, she scratches up the carpet and scratches chunks out of my doors, and this is all stuff that she does when I'm watching her, chasing her around just constantly telling her no. She hasn't learned a single thing in 8 months o_O She's just ... not pleasant lol, so I find it more difficult to enjoy spending time with her like my other one, because it seems like I'm always telling her 'no' ... no matter WHAT she's doing, she shouldn't be doing it. The only time she's good is when she's asleep. She doesn't even eat right because she will try to scare Yoshi away from her food and take her food. Seriously everything she does, it's bad. I have no idea how to handle her.

I could never have imagined such a difficult dog. I only hope she grows out of being the terror that she is because I can't do this forever :(

·
Registered
74 Posts
Does she get exercise? Does she have toys to play with? I could be wrong, but it sounds like maybe she's bored.

Today Peanut has pooped in the floor twice...something he just doesn't do. He's always pooped in the box and peed on the floor. So see, we still have our bad days. I do understand where you're at though, because not too long ago I was feeling like it wouldn't take much more for me to just start looking for Peanut a new home. But that really isn't a solution and would probably just make things worse for him.

Another thing I didn't really get specific about in my earlier post is this....I bought a puppy play pen and that is what I keep Peanut in. I have it up in the kitchen so the boo-boos aren't trouble to clean, like they would be on the carpet. That was probably the best investment I've made. I bought it on ebay a lot cheaper than if you buy them at the pet stores, and it folds up so I can give him as much or little space as I like. That has been a huge lifesaver for me. Then we just take him out for play time or cuddle time throughout the day. I keep his potty box at one end and his bed at the other end.

Another thing I meant to say earlier was that during one point of my frustration when he kept peeing all over the place, I totally took away his blankets and bed b/c he kept peeing on them, too. But then it got cooler at night and he wouldn't sleep (prob b/c of the cooler night air) and would wake me up whining and howling at all hours of the night. I learned quickly to just give him an old blanket that I could toss in the wash if he peed on it to save my sanity and hours of sleep at night. But I do take all that out at times during the day, too, because he is a little couch potato and would literally sleep all day if I left his bed in there for him to lay on.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Does she get exercise? Does she have toys to play with? I could be wrong, but it sounds like maybe she's bored.

Today Peanut has pooped in the floor twice...something he just doesn't do. He's always pooped in the box and peed on the floor. So see, we still have our bad days. I do understand where you're at though, because not too long ago I was feeling like it wouldn't take much more for me to just start looking for Peanut a new home. But that really isn't a solution and would probably just make things worse for him.

Another thing I didn't really get specific about in my earlier post is this....I bought a puppy play pen and that is what I keep Peanut in. I have it up in the kitchen so the boo-boos aren't trouble to clean, like they would be on the carpet. That was probably the best investment I've made. I bought it on ebay a lot cheaper than if you buy them at the pet stores, and it folds up so I can give him as much or little space as I like. That has been a huge lifesaver for me. Then we just take him out for play time or cuddle time throughout the day. I keep his potty box at one end and his bed at the other end.

Another thing I meant to say earlier was that during one point of my frustration when he kept peeing all over the place, I totally took away his blankets and bed b/c he kept peeing on them, too. But then it got cooler at night and he wouldn't sleep (prob b/c of the cooler night air) and would wake me up whining and howling at all hours of the night. I learned quickly to just give him an old blanket that I could toss in the wash if he peed on it to save my sanity and hours of sleep at night. But I do take all that out at times during the day, too, because he is a little couch potato and would literally sleep all day if I left his bed in there for him to lay on.
It's definitely possible that she's bored. Especially since winter is ending we didn't go for many walks because it was just too cold for them. But now we are going out a lot more. She is always so hyper, playing, running around. I find it almost impossible to tire her out. When we have chi parties she will get into fits of running circles around the coffee table. I'm not talking running so much as insanely fast zoomies. She will go like that for a good 20 minutes ... no kidding. She runs and runs and runs, and never tires. I don't understand it. I know she's young, but wow. All the other dogs will be falling asleep and getting so tired after an hour or two of playing. Not her. She will just keep running around doing zoomies all by herself all night. She has a toy in her mouth 24/7. She carries them around with her and is just always playing. She is definitely high energy, to say the very least. When I think of Misha, if she were a child, she would without a doubt be ADHD O_O I have no idea where she gets her energy. I've never seen such a playful or hyper dog or puppy. Maybe why she is having difficulty learning? I have no idea ...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts