Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the moment I am still not well enough to get the lads out to the park to help wear them out especially later in the day.

I do let them out all the time in the garden and they race about playing in the house. So they both play and both get ample trips to the garden to pee and poop.

Now I have heard that animals will not pee or poop on or in their bed.. SO WHY DOES RED DO IT... Aggghhhhh....

I am always having to wash the bedding near on every day otherwise the house stinks of Red's strong pee odour.. I wash it int he Washing machine so its not like there is any urine left behind.

I dunno why he does this but it is getting very frustrating oh and before anyone ask its definitely not Jake.

Deme x

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if he was marking his bed Dawn he's a pubescent intact male they mark what's theirs it's a pain in the arse!! Maybe get him a belly band to wear in the house

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if he was marking his bed Dawn he's a pubescent intact male they mark what's theirs it's a pain in the arse!! Maybe get him a belly band to wear in the house
what an awesome idea :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I agree with Sarah. If Red is intact, not neutered, he is likely marking. And he will mark things that are his or that he wishes was his until kingdom comes. I'd do a belly band as well. All that laundry is exhausting.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Take that bed away for a while, give him another. Just a thought..maybe that is his place to go...he might be confused . Rico--when he was first home around 8 weeks or so...peed in one of the beds I had put out for him. He seemed to think that it was a piddle pad. I got rid of it---actually I put a piddle pad on it and moved it closer to the actually piddle pad box and he wee-d where he was supposed to. Now that was just a one off baby mistake.

I knew it wasn't Jake...no way not that wee angel boy ; ).

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Red pee's and poops on every bed that I put in the crate even the snuggle pockets..

The belly bands, how do they work and if he poop's will the poop not end up all over him?

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Wow Deme--that little Red is a tough one for house training. If he just goes in any bed that is terrible. You must be getting tired of it.

Rico will go outside--around two years old her just randomly decided to wee outdoors. I take him out in the morning--no fenced in garden here in the city --
He goes. I leave a piddle pad, in a piddle pad box ( like a litter tray) beside the back door. I have a small entry way between the back door and the back door to the kitchen. If I leave the kitchen door ajar he can get to his piddle pad area whenever he needs to.

In the morning I take him out for a "piddle" as soon as I wake up.

I'd say Red was marking but if he is doing poo indoors as well he is just going--:foxes15:.

Maybe if you give treats when they go where they are supposed to ?? For a while really intice him to go.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He will even pee and poop in the consevatory when the conservatory door to the garden is open :foxes15:

The hard part is Red is a very nervous dog in general has been from day one.

So if I catch him in the act and say "Red No" he then cowers for a whole day or two. As I am also trying hard to boost his confidence you can see how this would put me back.

So how do I teach him not to mess in the house without upsetting him.

Also belly bands what if he poop's, won't it go all over him

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Belly bands are only for peeing problems, it doesn't cover their bottom. My little Tallie is having some problem with her bedding too. I think I have to find a smaller crate for her. Where is Red's bed located? Tallie's problem is at night and I think maybe she just can't hold it all night long yet. I don't really know it's a problem I am working on too.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ah that sounds better as it is the peeing that is bothering me, I scrub the carpet but the urine smell is still there so tonight the big carpet cleaner is coming out and OH is gonna wash the carpet.

OH paid for a big expensive carpet cleaner and it works so good so tomorrow it will be great to come downstairs to a nice smelling room again.

I am def gonna look into the belly bands but just hope Red don't tear then off.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
They're made so they can't get them off. How did his breeder train him do you know? I honestly believe this is a huge part!

I know you pen him I think maybe you should try crate training him just give him enough room to stand up and turn around, no more he sleeps in there eats in there etc as soon as he wakes (I normally take mine out at 6.30-7 and go back to bed) take him out he should go after meal times keep him crated for 15 mins take him out if he doesn't go pop him back in his crate for another 10 mins ad take back out

After a play with Jake take him out after big drinks etc!! Boys seem to go a lot more than girls!! A belly band would be good whilst in house as he will start marking!!

Sounds gross but with pooing they start circling but their bums go bright red before a poo and it opens a bit before they squat when you see this it gives u time to pick him up and put him outside

Dawn I've been giving lotus some herbs for anxiety etc all totally natural and honestly she is a different dog she still needs work but she even let a random stranger Stoke her yesterday normally shell bark her head off and run away!! She's even okay with workmen coming in the house maybe they would be good for red? I'm using them everyday but they say you can use them for different things like going yo shows etc

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They're made so they can't get them off. How did his breeder train him do you know? I honestly believe this is a huge part!

The breeder does not house train any of his dogs and Red was 4 months old when he came to me, my choice, so he had plenty of time to learn to go when he wanted to.

I know you pen him I think maybe you should try crate training him just give him enough room to stand up and turn around,

Makes no difference, he still poops and pee's on his bed.

After a play with Jake take him out after big drinks etc!! Boys seem to go a lot more than girls!! A belly band would be good whilst in house as he will start marking!!

During the day Red is great, its during the night he does the deed, I have even started giving him his last feed at 2pm and pick up his water at 5pm but its hit amd miss still as to if he has done anything.

Sounds gross but with pooing they start circling but their bums go bright red before a poo and it opens a bit before they squat when you see this it gives u time to pick him up and put him outside

Red is crafty, if he does poop its in secret :p and I usually smell it first :rolleyes:

Dawn I've been giving lotus some herbs for anxiety etc all totally natural and honestly she is a different dog

I have some tablets that I give Red that are meant to help with anxiety and since getting them he is getting more confident
Cheers

Deme x

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Belly bands for males just cover his penis so he cant mark/spray.
He can still poo as usual.They cost about $5 or you can sew him some.
There are a bunch on Etsy.com or Ebay.
MALE Dog Diapers Belly Band Wraps - UPick Size n Fabric - eBay (item 120638961808 end time Dec-24-10 16:04:24 PST)
Thanks for that link, I saw some belly bands but they were like £16 and I didn't want to pay that, are the BB safe for them to wear during the night as that is when Red does the horrid deed ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts