Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello :)

As some of you know, my baby will be traveling with me via airplane. I'm very nervous this is her first trip on an airplane. Its going to be long but I plan on making it as comfy as possible. I got some amazing advice on my last post. And I am preparing very well.

But I cant help but worry about her.

She's traveling with me in the cabin. But I hope she isn't to scared of the strange noises and can get some sleep.

Also, which is better a 1 1/2 hour flight followed by a 8 hour flight or a 4 1/2 hour flight followed by a 5 hour one. Sadly i have to transfer there are no straight flights.

Someone also told me to bring nutri-cal with me. My doggy doesn't rly eat when we travel im not sure if thats from excitement or from nervousness but i think its a good idea to carry to give her every few hours or so. Is this the right one? She's about 3 pounds and 2 years old.

Tomlyn Nutri-Cal for Dogs & Cats at PETCO

Thank you

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I personally have never travelled with a pup in the plane myself, but last time I flew the lady in front of me had a pom in her lap that was completely docile so I had to ask, she said she spoke with her vet and the vet gave her something to calm her down and keep her from getting "car sick."

Not sure if you want to resort to that, the lady knew her pup would have a hard time but if yours wont I don't see why you'd need to.

Also, will there be time to stretch in between either flight? I personally would take the one with more break time in between.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I took a 4 hour plane ride into another country with Cin. She was only 5 months old or so. Anyway, I was really worried about her crying and carrying on and bothering people the whole time. I tried to prepare her by putting her in her carry bag often, walking around with her in it all over the place...riding in the car a lot, etc. Personally I would choose to divide up the time...so the 4 and the 5 hour. Cin was really needing to get out and stretch by the time 4 hours was up. She was fine with everything, just really confused. She got worried when I put her bag under the seat. That's what she really hated. She did cry some at the beginning, but the plane was so noisy that I could barely hear her at all. Then she calmed down and fell asleep for most of the trip once the plane was in the air. I didn't give Cin any drugs to calm her as I asked my vet and he told me that they prefer not to drug the dogs going up as they're unsure how the meds and the altitude will affect each dog. I also wasn't allowed to let Cin out of the bag while on the plane. I knew since she was only 5 months and it was a long flight that she would probably pee in her bag...and she did. I had a pee pad underneath her bedding to soak up anything that might have seeped down. I had food in her bag and she didn't eat any until we were done with the flight. She was about 3.5-4lbs at the time and seemed to be fine. I offered her licks of ice and water before and after the flight and she didn't want any the whole time either until we got to our destination. Overall it wasn't too bad of an experience. It was slightly more stressful since I was worried about her the whole time, but really it went smoothly. If I did it again, I would probably make sure to take something like nutri-cal just to be on the safe side, so that's a good idea. Good luck on your flight, I'm sure it'll go fine!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Good luck on your trip, I'm sure your pupster will do just fine. It is good she is in the cabin with you. Some airports also have doggie walk and relief areas. Dogs like the smell of vanilla, it is calming to them. Perhaps a little on a piece of fabric and tucked into her crate will help her. Your vet would be able to give you recommendations also.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Im sure she will do just fine! It makes more sense to me to split up the time more evenly so she isnt having to be stuck under your seat for 8 hrs at a time. Hopefully you will be able to get her out a bit to pet her, but I think that depends of the flight attendants' discretion. Definitely trying to find somewhere you can take her outside on your layover to potty and stretch her legs. Fly safe!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
That is the Nutri-cal that I've always used.

I'd start by getting her used to her bag that she will be using for the flight. I would think the best option would be the 4 hour followed by the 5 hour flight since it splits the time in half and lets her go potty without a lONG wait.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I flew with my Bichon girl, Lacy, many times. I would split up the flight in about equal parts. Eight hours is a looooong time to be in a little carrier. About half the time, a flight attendant would come and tell me it was OK to take her out of the carrier and let her lay on my lap and the other half she had to stay in the carrier for the whole flight. Lacy was very quiet and calm and was perfectly OK as long as she could see me. Vanilla on a little piece of cloth would be good and so would nutrical. I always let Lacy lick some ice, too. She wouldn't eat or drink or potty while traveling, but she would eat a cracker or two and lick some ice. We got held up taking off one time and she was in her carrier for about 10 hours. I worried about her that time, but she was fine.

I always tell someone traveling with their dog to wear something pretty. You will get lots of attention!!

Have a great flight.
Jeanette

1 - 7 of 7 Posts