Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I adopted a very sweet Chi baby a couple of weeks ago. He is 9 and fantastic. Tommy J is doing pretty well settling in to his new family.

One thing I'm struggling to help him with is his super thin coat. His belly is almost bald. He has freckled skin.:) His fur is very short and thin. My other Chi Frida has short hair but it is thick and full. It is very soft but sparse.

He was eating Beneful dog food prior to coming to our home. He is now on Nature's Balance Duck and potato formula. I give him hard and soft food mixed together. Is there anything else I can do to improve his fur?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
You can try a supplement like Nupro or The Missing Link but many chis just have thin fur. Its worth a try though, and remember it may take some time for you to see progress.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
It's hard to tell in my siggy photo, but even though Tango and Jazz are both SC's, their coats are VERY different. Whereas Tango's coat is very thick and full with somewhat of an undercoat, Jazz's is much thinner, sleeker, and her chest and belly are virtually naked. They are both extremely healthy, have an excellent diet, no skin or coat issues, no health issues at all actually, so there's nothing physical contributing to the coat differences. I know nothing about their history as they're both rescues but I have to assume that it's simply genetics that plays a part in the coat differences.

While Beneful is absolute crap, and I'm sure that's contributing to any coat issues Tommy has, could it also be that he just has a different kind of coat from Frida?

·
Registered
85 Posts
shelly has a very thin coat too.. u can see where the hair gets thinner on top of her head.. we call it her "receeding hairline" lol
her belly and leg joints also lack hair, i figure its just the way her coat grows
if he gets cold just get him a lil sweater!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
A good diet change (like what you've done) will probably be the best attempt to see if he's able to get a thicker coat (like others have said, some of them are just genetically like that!); the only thing is it can take up to a few months to notice some of the benefits of a quality food. Fur growth is one of them, since it takes a while for hair to grow, period, so it'll be a little while before you see the new 'well nourished' coat to grow out. Being patient is the hard part! ;)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Don't be afraid to throw him some quality human goodies too as long as he isn't watching his waistline -- scrambled egg, cottage cheese, fresh raw or cooked unseasoned meats, etc :) My dogs have an extremely varied diet, and all have very healthy coats, although not all have the same TYPE of coat :)

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Just FYI, when I rescued Tango, his coat was thin and dull and flaky, and sort of patchy (thinner spots) and he was constantly scratching himself. It just felt weird too, when I ran my hand over his coat. On the advice of my daughter (Vet Tech, plus well-researched on animal nutrition) I did NOTHING for his coat, other than put him on the best food I could afford. I don't make much money, but he's so small (3.5 lbs) that I could certainly manage a small bag of one of the 6 star foods (I started out with Evo Innova) and that's all I did, other than give him an initial bath because he smelled funky. She cautioned me that it wouldn't be quick, but that even if we needed to do more ultimately, the food would make a noticeable difference. And man, did it ever! By the time I was through that small bag, Tango's coat was full and thick and lustrous, smooth and sleek to the touch, no flaking, no patchiness, and it smelled good too, with no bath.

My point? That even though your dog may have an underlying health issue, the FIRST line of defense is food.....there is NO downside to improving his diet, it may be all you need to do, and even if you still need to take care of things medically, superior food will give him a solid physical base and improve and enhance his health immeasurably.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for your input! Tommy J is getting used to wearing clothes. It is hilarious to see him try to rub them off. He looks like a cat rubbing against your leg. His fur is too thin for the Idaho Spring. His teeth are pretty bad from the poor quality food. I hope his fur fills in some but might just be thin. He also has a receding hairline. I call him my little old man- he has a white muzzle. I love him to pieces though! He is getting along well with his bratty little sister.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts