Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am not owned by a chihuahua, but I want to learn more about them and see if one might be compatible with my family.

A little history, I have herding dogs (you may be able to tell that from my username lol), but I am totally and completely smittem by my toy poodle, Bug. I am looking to get him a playbuddy - and by him, I mean me, as I know that no matter how friendly he is with other dogs, he may not like the one I adopt. I had two toy poodles and tragically lost one in July. The accident that took her from us still hurts and measures have been taken that something like that NEVER happens again. It still hurts, and a suit is pending, so no details yet. I'm sorry.

Anyway, I have noticed that Bug is really, really frustrated and bored. I do work an odd schedule and when his buddy and my sweetheart was alive, they kept each other company and played daily for hours. Bug is well bonded to me, but not to the point of possesiveness. I have always had multiple dogs and do faily well in managing, training and socializing. I know I could make it work.

My question is this. I have been sort of shopping around looking for the perfect addition, older pup or young adult, toy dog wih a sense of humor and lots of play drive that can roughhouse safely with a 10 pound poodle. I do NOT let the little dogs ever run with my big dogs (except my 10 year old nanny dog who socializes puppies and is also used to desensitize other dogs that are afraid of/or reactive to dogs).
I have looked online and have found that cute little 'hybrid' mixes are averaging $450-1000 + with little or no health guarantees, etc. I don't have a problem with mixed breeds, but I do not want to support breeders that do that sort of thing.
I took my mom to the local shelter to find her a kitten and asked about toy dogs. They said they just had three dumped the day before. They let me in the back to see two of them and from across the kennel, I saw the most perfect dog. He is a young adult or older pup that looks to be pure chihuahua (not the show type, but adorable either way). I just so happened to have Bug crated in the Jeep and they let us let them meet - they seemed to be great, at least for the small amount of time they interacted. He is not exactly what I had in mind, but I can't stop thinking about the poor little guy in the shelter in a cold wire cage surrounded by huge barking dogs. He appeared to be sweet and charming, not afraid of anything (I love that in a dog) and so very playful. I was hoping for a long haired, light colored, prissy dog that I could train to track (my other poodle was soooo good at tracking and it's just fun). He is a short haired, black male. He also has mange, looks like demodex. I'm not worried about that, I work part time at a vet clinic, so I can get him fixed up at a discount. I am also aware of demodex being a possible lifetime of management. I've done that before years ago with another dog. I am guessing that's why he was dumped. The shelter is holding him until Wednesday before putting him up for adoption. They have also offered a tremendously low adoption price for me as he needs to be neutered, but needs to wait until he recovers from his outbreak and gains a little weight. I can have that done at work.
I guess what I'm asking is, I've seen so many, unhealthy,overweight, short tempered nasty little chihuahuas at the vet clinic that I am hoping is owner caused. With proper socializing and care, can I trust him not to turn into little pint sized Cujo and, can a 6 pound dog safely wrestle with a 10 pound dog?
Ok, I am so very sorry for the novel, but I really want so honest answers so I can make the right decision for this little guy and my family. In case it helps, I am a divorced mom of two teenagers, one has already just started college and the other is a very dog savvy 16 year old (who trains and tracks her own two personal dogs).
Thank you all for bearing with me!

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Welcome to CP,he sounds perfect as he gets on with your other dog,and i think you've made your mind up already.Go for it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you, I think I kind of have, too. lol I have even come up with a possible name. :)

I'm thining of Bacchus, the god of wine and revelry - since he's to be a playmate for me and Bug. And, I thought Bug and Bacchus sounded good together.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Welcome to CP! I also say go for it. If your heart is telling you that he should be with you, then get him! You sound like you'll be perfectly capable of managing his current problems. It's only the dogs that are not properly socialized and cared for that turn in to those little monsters you've dealt with at the vet clinic. You don't sound like someone who is going to let him become that way.

I love the name Bacchus, by the way. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts