Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a puppy chi. He is the cutest! I'm just concerned about his weight. He is almost 10 weeks old and he is almost 3 lb's. Breeder told me that his mom weighs 4.5 and his dad is 5, so she said he should not grow more then their weight. What do u think?

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
If he's only 10 weeks old, he's gonna be one of the larger chis. Definatly more than 5 lbs.
Did you actually see the parents?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no i haven't, she did not show it to me because she said she does not take people to that area. I was kind of suspicious, but i just loved this puppy so much i could not resist even though i was looking for a smaller size puppy. oooops i'm sorrry i said he is 10 weeks, he is actually going to be 11 weeks tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
10 weeks or 11 weeks, it really doesn't make that much difference.
He is not going to be one of the smaller chis.
And welcome by the way :wave:

There are some members here that have chis in the 10 or 12 pound range. If you love him, it doesn't matter what size he is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for your help and for welcoming. You are right, i will love him no matter what, but it just makes me frustrated that she have lied to me. Plus where ever i read it says pure breed chi should never grow more then 6 lbs, she sold it to me a purebreed one. I'm just a little upset.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Just because it's going to be bigger than 6 pounds doesn't mean it's not a purebred chi. It's just a large chi.
The chihuahua standard is 4 to 6 pounds, that doesn't mean ALL chis are that weight.
He could still be a purebred, just a large one. Like I said there are some members here with purebred chis that are over 10 pounds.

If you can, post a pic of him, we would love to see him!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Hi and welcome! Zeus is purebred and he's almost 2 years old and weighs 10 pounds and he is not overweight. As long as your pup makes you happy and you love him, then that's all that matters. :)

·
Registered
974 Posts
:wave: HI!

The same thing happened to me. When I bought Charley the breeder told me his parents both weighed less than 6 lbs and he wouldn't get bigger than that ... and I actually saw his mom! He was so adorable that I bought him without even planning on getting a dog.

He's now a healthy boy of 13 lbs! Just think of this this way ... at least you won't be afraid you're going to break your new chi when you hug him! :wink:

:flower:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
He is so darn cute... I love those tri color balck pups....

Gadgets mom is 6pounds and his dad is about 5 1/2 pounds... Gadget is almost nine months and he weighs 4 1/2 pounds. His brother from the same litter is not even 3 pounds yet... So you can never tell what size the babies are going to be. I do know that Gadget isn't going ot grow that much more.. His growing has slowed down so much that I think he might make it to 5 pounds.. but I wouldn't care if he was 10 pounds... He is my little man and that is all I care about.. that and he is very healthy....

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Oh my gosh that's really worrying they wouldn't let you see the parents :(
But he is too cute. Don't worry too much about the weight issue, like the others said it's not really possible to determine a specific weight, but I'm sure he'll still be a small dog :)
I'm sure you'll love him no matter what size he ends up :wink: :)

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
He sure is cute no matter how much he weighs.
You've got a real cute baby there!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Yes, even a 10 lb dog is a small dog. But it is common and very disconcerting when you are lied to just so the breeder can make a buck. Your dog will most certainly NOT be near the weight she told you. On the other hand, he is very cute!

And I always think of it this way; bigger doggie = bigger bladder! :lol:

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have to agree with everyone. My breeder assured me that both my pups (siblings) would be tiny. Of course they were both tiny when I got them, but rapidly grew (laugh). Poncho is well over 5 lbs. now and Sasha isn't too far behind ... and they're both about to turn 8 months. I'm actually glad they aren't that tiny anymore. In comparison to other dogs --- they still are very small. Nevertheless ... WELCOME :wave:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts