Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok some of you may or may not know but about 2 weeks ago Kemo was flaking, shedding, balding...blah blah blah. To be safer than sorry I took him to the vet to get a scraping done. The test was good but she gave me an antibiotic "just n case" well besides the fact that I hate meds I decided to do it anyway AAARRGGHHH. After some research I found out the milligrams she gave me was too much and I cut the dose down into 4. I continued everything blah blah blah. I did the meds for 7 days not 10. He improved and I never really thought he had an infection anyway. 7 days was the min to do an antibiotic. Ever since he has taken the meds his poops have been getting softer and softer. I added probiotics to his food to counteract the affects of the antibiotics (killing the good flora in the colon) well it's been over a week since he has been done the meds and still mushy poops. I admit the last two days I changed his food. He did not touch the wellness but ate last night another brand. I also stopped the probiotics and have given him less scraps and treats to try and balance him back out. Today it was just yuck no formation no resemblence of a poop shape. I offered him pumpkin to eat and so far he does not want it. (i heard that firms up poops) I also just went to Petco and bought his old brand.

So I ask you..........what do you think it is? None of this happened until I gave him those stupid meds. He has eaten all kinds of foods in the past without EVER having a reaction in his stool...dairy, fruit, etc etc. Has anybody else experienced this? Do you have any suggestions? I ran to the vet twice and it ended up being nothing (other issues) not that I am a worry wart so much I just rather be safe than sorry. I really dont want to run to the vet AGAIN if it's nothing. Should I wait and see if his old food puts things back in order??? He doesnt always eat it which is why I was trying other stuff. HIs breakfast foods have not changed just dinner.
Thanks

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
hi victoria

make sure he is drinking plenty of water and supplement him with sugar and salt so he does not get any electolyte disturbances if he has had diarrhea for more than 3 days you really do need to take him to the vets as anti biotics can cause something called clostrdium difficle (cdiff for shorrt) what antibiotics is he on ? I reccomend you stop these at once especially if his stool looks watery or jelly like and get to your vets if he has got this he will need a different set of anti biotics to clear it up, try to stay to his normnal food he is used to or give him something bland like scrambled eggs or boiled chicken and rice .

hope this helps

keep us posted hope he feels better tomorrow :wave:

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ozzysmom said:
hi victoria

make sure he is drinking plenty of water and supplement him with sugar and salt so he does not get any electolyte disturbances if he has had diarrhea for more than 3 days you really do need to take him to the vets as anti biotics can cause something called clostrdium difficle (cdiff for shorrt) what antibiotics is he on ? I reccomend you stop these at once especially if his stool looks watery or jelly like and get to your vets if he has got this he will need a different set of anti biotics to clear it up, try to stay to his normnal food he is used to or give him something bland like scrambled eggs or boiled chicken and rice .

hope this helps

keep us posted hope he feels better tomorrow :wave:
he has been off the antibiotics for over a week.....he was on Cephalexin something like that it is in another post somewhere. I think after a week he should have been back to normal....We will see what happens, thanks

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I'm sorry your baby has diahrrea. Unfortunately Cephalexin does have a *possible* side effect of diahrrea and vomiting. I've found that that's more common in smaller dogs then larger dogs. It's odd though that it hasn't cleared up yet. I would definately put him on his old food and see if it clears up. I've always had good luck with boiled chicken and rice when Zeus gets diahrrea. If after 2 days it still hasn't cleared up, I would seriously consider taking him to the vet and having a stool check just to rule out other possibilities (worms, bacterial infection).

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WE HAVE FORMATION!!!!
Well he would not touch his old food last night (I am getting sick of this) so I nuked him an egg. He ate breakfast and we had a very small but formed still softish poop. He is totally normal otherwise. I did some reading and as long as he is acting normal and getting diarrhea then it is just an upset stomach verses something more serious.....it actually they said could be a viral thing BUT who knows. HE is not on the OK list yet by me. There has been no blood or anything. So hopefully maybe if I keep the diet blandish he may recover soon. I am never giving him than darn antibiotic AGAIN!

·
Registered
400 Posts
I had a similar problem but finally all was well when I stopped switching things around. The more new things you try the more it continues.
I stopped messing with all the diet and just weaned her off pumpkin rice crushed food mixture down to just the food. She had blowouts for a couple weeks which was unpleasant for me but she did ok LOL Everything fine now.

By the way. she always was playful and drank plenty of water so vet wasn't to concerned and tests showed evrything fine. The 2 meds he used seemed only to screw it up worse and he said whatever worked for me seemed ok as long as her attitude was fine and she drank water.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CuddleMeChi said:
I had a similar problem but finally all was well when I stopped switching things around. The more new things you try the more it continues.
I stopped messing with all the diet and just weaned her off pumpkin rice crushed food mixture down to just the food. She had blowouts for a couple weeks which was unpleasant for me but she did ok LOL Everything fine now.

By the way. she always was playful and drank plenty of water so vet wasn't to concerned and tests showed evrything fine. The 2 meds he used seemed only to screw it up worse and he said whatever worked for me seemed ok as long as her attitude was fine and she drank water.
Thanks... the thing that gets me is I dont think it's the food, he only had one meal with something new and only because he is not wanting to eat the old. But I realize it may have aggrivated the situation.....if he doesnt eat his old stuff tonight then.....I will be MORE frustrated. aarrgghhh if sometimes they could ONLY talk to us. :x

·
Registered
400 Posts
yep, my baby had NO explanation why she was having a problem... she just did.
I even asked the Vet to run a couple extra tests then he suggested and they all came out negative. Actually I had to insist because I was getting tired of cleaning up 10 times a day!!!!!!! Also just when things started looking good and everythingwas looking back to mormal.... she would revert back to the blow outs. I just kept cleaning and praying and one day she was functioning normal :p
No explanation or anything. She was on the smaller side and I'm thinking maybe she had to grow up a bit and adjust to life. She always had a nervous disposition and got real jittery if anything was new. She did however have a great tempermant

1 - 8 of 8 Posts