Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nellie dug up a nest of big headed ants. My bigger dogs have bit before but I don't know what to do for a little one. I gave her pain reliever but was wondering about Benadryl, how much should I give her? The vet won't do anything for ant bites. She is miserable right now she just can't get comfortable, big headed ant bites aren't poisonous but they burn and itch like heck for hours.
Thank you :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
You could try soaking her in a tub of warm water to ease the pain. I definitely would recommend Benedryl, but ask your VET first & find out the correct dosage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been soaking her foot on and off and used some baking soda to ease the pain which helped. She is finally sleeping and holding her foot up in the air which just makes me feel even worse for her :(

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
How is she this morning? If she's still sore and not back to normal, I'd take her into the vet. She may need a steroid shot.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How is she this morning? If she's still sore and not back to normal, I'd take her into the vet. She may need a steroid shot.
Sorry I have been able to update. I didn't have any Benadryl but she didn't need it after all. Nellie was back to her sweet self the next morning. I am now building a run so she and Hiccup have a place to play outside while I get rid of the ants which takes a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I'm so glad she's feeling better!!! I hope those ants go away soon. Ew! :( Poor baby! Don't want that to happen to her or Hiccup again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts