Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..anybody else sometimes feel that they could use one??:rolleyes:
Heidi is my nervous girl and I really dont think I could have done any more to 'change' her. Her whole personality type is just nervous, hyper vigilant and highly strung.
Its like she is stuck in that puppy fear phase (she also behaves alot like a little puppy with regards to attention and playing). Just today on our walk we came around a corner and there was a Staffie being walked in front of us. Heidi leapt back and just screamed like she was being murdered!!:( If I accidently touch her with my foot whilst walking she will scream like she has been stood on, if there is a loud commotion nearby she will also scream.
I try and ignore most of her nervousness so she is taken on walks and has learnt to deal with traffic, kids trying to pet her and interacting with other dogs (I dont intervene if she is over reacting to friendly dogs) but sudden shocks still send her scatty and I think she would be a basket case in a louder/busier home...

No point to this thread really, just wanted a moan!!:D Feel free to join in if you also have a 5Ib dog with 10Ibs of nerves!!LOL

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I feel your pain. Lulu is 4 years old and is a nervous chi. She doesn't go outside and should be very familiar with everything inside and all our ways yet she STILL acts nervous about things I think she should be fine with. I don't get it? To me she acts abused and she had never been abused a day in her life--well, not since she was 9 weeks old when we got her. I think it is just her, but I will join your support group.LOL

·
Registered
801 Posts
I have two 4 pound dogs can we join ?

Mimi has so many issues. Both of mine were rescues. Jax was just neglected, however Mimi was in a much much worse situation. Jax has done well and is very adjusted. He loves everyone and doesn't know a stranger, but can be a bit needy and will whine if no one is paying him attention. Mimi on the other hand has tons of anxiety issues and she does the "death scream" ALLLLLLLL the time, lol. She has got better though, and she continues to do more and more, I work with her every day and I know she will continue to improve but I also know she will never be an outgoing dog, that's just not who she is.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
My Annie has a bad background and has become so housebound. She will even get sick if I take her anywhere (shakes, then throws up). I just figure she is happiest at home and have decided not to push her. I'm not saying that's for everyone, but it works for me and for Annie.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see Im not alone then!!LOL;)
Poor Annie sounds really bad... I do think you can only push them so far though. Heidi has had the same socialization and lifestyle as my other 2 and yet is still a bag of nerves. Even though I do encourage her to be more outgoing and challenge her on walks to interact with different people/dogs/situations I also give her rest days where she has very short, boring walks inbetween. Just so she can destress a little!
Im familiar with Lulu's abused doggy routine too! Heidi's first ever harness rubbed her quite badly and so now everytime the harness comes out she runs and hides. I have to go and hunt out a cowering, trembling little dog and be the evil abuser who puts her harness on.:rolleyes: NM that its a really comfy one and once its on she is perfectly happy, Id just hate for someone to see me go through the rigmarole of getting it on.:D

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Annie cowers when I let her out of her kennel! I know what you mean by feeling like the dog abuser. She's a good girl, just has her moments. she also has some OCD issues--a very odd girl--she also used to hoard things, but not anymore.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Pepper can join, too. I've had him since he was 6 weeks old so I know he was never abused, but he is super nervous about everything. And he wants all 'his' pack together all the time. If I had to close the dog door and one or two dogs or the cat are still outside, he will whine at the door and cry until all the animals are back inside. He's terrified of new people even though he got the same socialization as all my other dogs. I guess it's just him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts