Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm taking a trip down to California for a couple of months due to health issues. I have family out there who can help me out with my toddler while I get the medical attention I need. I'm very excited BUT also nervous about taking Zoey!! My mom already has two dogs && the female is pregnant (1 rottweiler and a female chihuahua mix who looks more like a miniature lab). I don't know how Zoey is going to react to being in a new home with bigger dogs. I will be spending most of the time at my moms but plan on spending a couple of weeks at my uncle's house.. My uncle has six dogs and there all indoor dogs (3 toy poodles, 2 pit bulls, 1 very old border collie). Don't worry its a VERY large house..lol. I'm worried how Zoey will react to the situation. Any suggestions?? Would it be wrong to leave Zoey at my Moms house for the time I'm at my uncles???:confused:

Here is Rosco & CeCe. Zoey will get to meet them at my moms.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I would introduce them slowly and through a crate at first so make sure you take her a crate. Hopefully you will have your own room. I would leave her at your mom's when you visit your uncle. JMO ;-)

·
Registered
162 Posts
I agree with the crate suggestion, at first, but I think I would also have your mom meet you at a park or somewhere else that her dogs don't "own" for their first meeting. Neutral territory. Then go back to the house all together. Then, I would watch them closely and crate or separate them when you cannot supervise until you are sure how they will be together. Also, YES, if possible I would leave her with your mom while you go to your uncles. Meeting more dogs will be stressful, and that many dogs, no matter how nice they are, is a pack. I had only one dog at a time for most of my life, and now have four. A pack mentality is very different than a single dog. I happen to love it, but I wouldn't chance it for Zoey if you don't have to. Just my opinion, I'll be interested to see what others say! Good luck, and I hope your medical care goes smoothly!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts